Lets talk gi for a minute

Gorillacupcake ---

You will still be able to get away with the slippery escapes of no-gi if you are simply wearing a long sleeve t-shirt, not to mention that that type of clothing does not have the integrity to stand up to rigorous jiu-jitsu training.

"Actually all jokes aside that sounds kinda interesting, i might give that a bash and see how it goes."

Cool.

I hope it works out.

Just remember that effective training will always be up to you. Use what makes sense and discard what doesn't work for you.

go against a good gi guy while trying to pass guard and escape while he isn't wearing a gi and you are.

Sultan,
I guess the question should ask, is it the gi itself or clothing in general that makes the training more challenging...what i mean is, are you saying that training in clothing (gi or otherwise) will improve your training, by slowing it down...or does it have to be a gi...i guess I am looking for something that is more like mma(w/o the gi) but has the advantages of gi(friction but without the handles)...make sense?...guess this is the eternal question....

Gorilla ---

It will always be up to you to extract whatever it is you want to extract from training.

I know that I roll in no-gi and MMA fine even though I train with the gi.

The trick and the key is to supplement your gi training with no-gi or supplement your no-gi training with some gi. Whatever you see fit for yourself.

I can't answer because you have your own specific goals and I do not want to impede that.

I'm just stating what I've learned from very experienced jiu jitsu guys, mma guys, etc.

However, I do feel that training "gi" should be done with just that. A gi.

"what i mean is, are you saying that training in clothing (gi or otherwise) will improve your training, by slowing it down...or does it have to be a gi..."

Yes, it's the gi.

Gi reinforces utilization of technique rather than power, speed or brawn.

Those attributes (power, speed and brawn) can still be used after training with the gi for a while too, but now you are monstrous on the mat because you have those attributes in conjunction with fundamentally sound technique.

^interesting...thanks...

Anytime dude, hope it helps.

LOL

I have to admit that I have spent a ton of time researching the topic.

It's one of interest to me because I am looking to continually refine my training techniques so I'm always searching for more insight from experienced guys.

"You are misinterpreting what is being said. MMA is mixed martial arts and that is broken up in to percentages of each of the dominant styles.

Let's say for the sake of argument that it is wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai and Boxing. Remember these numbers are just for the sake of argument and can vary with each individual.

say 25% wrestling, 25% BJJ, 25% Muay Thai and 25% Boxing are this individuals break down. "

I understand completely, i just dont agree.  But thats my opinion and i'm entitled to it, as are you to yours.

Train as you want to fight, because you will fight as you train. 

Nah, it's cool dude. I can see your point and you are right about each other having our own respective opinions.

But let me leave you with one more question in regards to this quote.

"Train as you want to fight, because you will fight as you train."

Why would someone like Chuck Liddell carry a wheelbarrow up a hill filled with bricks?

Why do fighters run suicides up a flight of stairs?

These activities have nothing to do with fighting MMA.

It might be because thinking outside of the box may (especially in the cases provided) provide extra conditioning or allow you to extract benefits from these activities because of the added constraints.

Just a little food for thought.

At the end of the day, we will always train as we see fit for ourselves, so props to you for training in any type of capacity.

sorry, i didn't read all the other posts, but imo the gi is an important learning tool - in the month leading up to a fight, don't wear it, otherwise, use it a few times a week

"Nah, it's cool dude. I can see your point and you are right about each other having our own respective opinions.

But let me leave you with one more question in regards to this quote.

"Train as you want to fight, because you will fight as you train."

Why would someone like Chuck Liddell carry a wheelbarrow up a hill filled with bricks?

Why do fighters run suicides up a flight of stairs?

These activities have nothing to do with fighting MMA.

It might be because thinking outside of the box may (especially in the cases provided) provide extra conditioning or allow you to extract benefits from these activities because of the added constraints.

Just a little food for thought.

At the end of the day, we will always train as we see fit for ourselves, so props to you for training in any type of capacity. "

Yeah fair dues, like i said i'll defo try out the sparring with the Gi. I always want to find new aspects of training that will improve my game. 

Haha believe it or not i try to be as open minded as i can when training. Though might not seem it with my last few posts lol.

Cheers brother.

Have fun in training.

"LOL. And when Eddie says "anytime" he literally means ANYTIME. No one has discussed this more than him. ;-)" yeh I know...I have read a few of Eddies discussions on other threads regarding this topic...and the fact that he has reasearched it so much is why I asked...I still do not understand why it has to be a gi...like it is a sacred cloth or something...have never understood this....perhaps I need to just start rolling to experience this first hand...

"have never understood this....perhaps I need to just start rolling to experience this first hand..."

You have just answered your own question.

But, in short, it has to do with the integrity of the fabric.

It's much stronger and makes much more sense to use.

Self-Defense is the other topic of discussion, but I like to stay away from this subject because the debate gets to be too deep.

I can simply say this, being an expert at manipulating clothing is priceless in the street.

There are a lot of great examples on here...

the gi will also help you stay in shape... You can train hard and lose more weight wearing one..
your grips will be stronger..
I took a long time off of wearing my gi, only rolling no gi, then tried to go back, and noticed my grips where very weak.

If you wear a gi, you can also wear a belt.. :)

What really started winning me over was when I was told to look at it like running with ankle weights. As a tool to help my area of interest, rather than doing it for the sake of getting good at it.

I dont run stadium steps or lift weights because I want to improve my time or keep getting my maxes higher every year.

I may have to give this a whirl I think.

The best advice I can give you is try it out.

The worst case scenario is that you take it back off if you don't like it.