Lets talk gi for a minute

Just my two cents...

I started out in the gi. I trained it for about a year or two and haven't trained in it since (focusing more on MMA). One thing you have to consider when saying "Matt Hughes lost to BJ who trained in gi" is that, would BJ still have choked out Hughes even if he didn't train the gi? Probably yes.

Would Fedor have tapped out Linland if he only did subgrappling and not any gi work? Probably yes. I think it really depends on the individual. Of course guys that train gi are going to defend it because they don't want to make it seem like their training has been pointless.

^^ or the guys who want to train hard core MMA dont want to feel like they are making a mistake and say something like that ^^

Even If I was proven wrong, I would never feel like I wasted my time training in a gi.. I love the gi and prefer it to no gi...

But you can go ahead a look at the results in the Abu Dahbi. "Xande Ribeiro & Marcelo Garcia Both train with gi, Marcelo trained with my brother two weeks before with gi on.. Training with a gi helps. Most of the champs, last year and this, started in gi.

The point I'm trying to make that everyone seems to skip past is...

""Xande Ribeiro & Marcelo Garcia Both train with gi, Marcelo trained with my brother two weeks before with gi on.. Training with a gi helps. Most of the champs, last year and this, started in gi."

Would these guys still be champs today if they only trained no gi? Yeah they probably would, because they love Jiu Jitsu and are dedicated to it... not just because they wear a piece of material when they train.

I understand what you are trying to say.. I just dont fully agree...

Can someone get real good without the gi.. Yes, absolutely.. I have seen it.

Can they reach their full potential.. maybe but they have a better chance if they exposed their skill to every possible option.

another thing that No gi produces... It can produce slop... Think of it this way.. When you train hard with no gi, you get sweaty, you can escape attacks easier, then you rely on not using proper technique to escape attacks, creating a bad habit which can get you in trouble with certain people...

"Would these guys still be champs today if they only trained no gi? Yeah they probably would, because they love Jiu Jitsu and are dedicated to it... not just because they wear a piece of material when they train."

I hear you, but I definitely disagree with you. I understand where you are going with what you say, but I feel that one of the main reasons these guys are such good grapplers is because they trained with the gi.

Every incredible grappler I know of, trained with the gi, with the exception of maybe a couple of guys.

You can wear your gi top in mma sparring or ground and pound for an added challenge. For me it helps because when I take it off, it is like taking off a weighted vest. Everything seems easier.

C

If you dont train in a gi, what do you do with all of your patches?

Train with the best guys you can find. If those guys are training gi, train gi. If they're training no gi, train no gi.

If you're training consistently with good grapplers, what you're wearing when you do isn't going to make too much difference, imo.

Octopus:

If someone's relative died, but you didnt know the relative would you care?

ttt

ttt

Dude, put the gi on!!

JC

Helwig:

Well, I'd be sad for them, of course, but it's not like I knew their relative.

Unless their relative was hot, of course. Then it's a deep tragedy.