Lex Luthor vs Dr Doom

Who wins a chess match between these two?

I say Luthor wins 5 or 6 games while they discuss whatever bad guy stuff they are meeting over.  Doom takes the next game by baiting Luthor into a trap and winning with a swift countermove.  Doom ends the meeting and even though he had a losing record he leaves in style with the upperhand.

I cant recall anything particularly intelligent that Luthors done. I really have never found him that interesting and never really read his stories. Hes often shown to be a con-artist mort schemer. I recall in Superman: Red Son, that he was smart enough to convince someone to commit suicide in just a matter of minutes. thats pretty dope.

DOOM VS MAGNETO

Magic gives Doom the edge in this one.

Doom would easily crush Luthor.  Doom invented the first working time machine...what's Luthor done?

TAO would also easily crush Luthor and I hope he gets introduced into the new DCU soon.

Who is TAO?

BigWilliam - Who is TAO?

WildCATs villain.  He's frakin' awesome.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_(comics)

He would have Luthor pissing himself within 5 minutes.

I wouldn't go that far. Keep in mind Luthor is a human that chooses to pick fights with the most powerful hero on the planet on a regular basis. Say what you want but that guy has major balls.

BigWilliam - I wouldn't go that far. Keep in mind Luthor is a human that chooses to pick fights with the most powerful hero on the planet on a regular basis. Say what you want but that guy has major balls.

I would...actually I did.  Luthor is a clown who only survives because Superman has a very rigid moral code.  He wouldn't last 15 minutes in the Marvel Universe and hasn't accomplished anything of note (at least nothing that I can think of).

Tao and Doom regularly lock horns with beings as powerful (if not more so) than they are, that are also perfectly willing to kill them to win.

Leigh - regular Luthor got beaten up by a girl in Karate class and shot her cos he couldn't handle it

This made me lol. 

I'd say Luthor. He's outsmarted Brainiac.

It's a chess game, not a battle. Chess is a system of precise, unalterable rules. Doom can't invent, conjure, or brute his way around any of them.

Luthor has changed over the years. He used to be one of the smartest men on Earth. Only later did he become more of a CEO political manipulator. Even then, he fights Supes outright and fights Batman in the corporate arena.

And you could say "only survives because Hero X has a rigid moral code" about almost any DC villian. It's their standard dynamic.

Willybone - I'd say Luthor. He's outsmarted Brainiac.

I don't believe Luthor has ever met Brainiac.  The last Brainiac arc in Superman before the reboot revealed that no one, including Superman, had ever met the real Brainiac....and Wayne Corp crushes Lex Corp, easily.  So for a CEO/political manipulator...Luthor ain't all that.

Hmmm, missed the "no real Brainiac" arc.

I know he met him in Red Son, but that's not canon.

I grew up reading old school Lex. Pure brain, going head to head with the most powerful being on Earth. Like BigWilliam said, that's pretty ballsy.

I think I can finish this right here:

This guy

Versus

This guy

Doom wants his mommy back. Lex killed his for the insurance money as a child.

Doom is hideously disfigured. Lex seduced Supergirl.

Doom has his own country. Lex had his OWN PLANET (which he accidentally destroyed).

As a brilliant, bad, bald natural leader of a man, I am obligated to take Lex's.

Some of you really ugly guys who believe in magic and wear armor for fun on the weekends probably feel likewise compelled for Doom.  

JoeHurley - 
Leigh - regular Luthor got beaten up by a girl in Karate class and shot her cos he couldn't handle it

This made me lol. 

That's hilarious.

Zenoplata - Do you guys think Marvel characters generally hold the same sort of rigid moral code DC characters do? I'd say Spider-Man certainly does, but for every Spidey there seems to be a few Wolverines, Punishers and Sentrys.

No and that is intentional. Stan Lee wanted characters that were more complex and grounded in humanity where DC characters are more golden age and are grounded in moral absolutes rather than shades of gray.

Doom wants his mommy back. Lex killed his for the insurance money as a child.

Doom is hideously disfigured. Lex seduced Supergirl.

Doom has his own country. Lex had his OWN PLANET (which he accidentally destroyed).

I wonder how well you know these characters....

Doom saved the soul of his mother, by storming Hell and taking it from the devil (that only trumps anything that Luthor has done, imo).  Doom has also escaped from Hell, again, a feat Luthor cannot match or remotely come close to.

and ROTFLMFAO@ Luthor seducing Supergirl.  He had a romance with Matrix, which was essentially a super-powered living doll that he made...and one that rejected him.  If you think that makes Luthor a playa, you're high.  (He bought a blow-up doll and rejected him!)  In contrast Doom traveled back in time and learned sorcery and sex from Morgan Le Fey - a real, live, smokin' hot, person. 

Doom has his own country and has conquered earth twice.  Luthor has...what?

BigWilliam - 
Zenoplata - Do you guys think Marvel characters generally hold the same sort of rigid moral code DC characters do? I'd say Spider-Man certainly does, but for every Spidey there seems to be a few Wolverines, Punishers and Sentrys.

No and that is intentional. Stan Lee wanted characters that were more complex and grounded in humanity where DC characters are more golden age and are grounded in moral absolutes rather than shades of gray.

This is a dynamic that Marvel has been building for decades and something that DC has seemed to struggle with up until recent times.

I feel that the recent reboot is just another attempt at this very issue.  

MarkRobinson - 
BigWilliam - 

This is a dynamic that Marvel has been building for decades and something that DC has seemed to struggle with up until recent times.

I feel that the recent reboot is just another attempt at this very issue.  

Yeah the dc reboot (and especially the justice league) reads like dc trying to be marvel.

I think that's a mistake.  Though I generally prefer Marvel, when I read DC I still like it, because (at least in part) it is different from Marvel.  Those types of iconic golden age characters are still pretty fun to read about.  Not everyone can be an anti-hero.  That's gets old after a while too.

JudOWNED -  I think that's a mistake.  Though I generally prefer Marvel, when I read DC I still like it, because (at least in part) it is different from Marvel.  Those types of iconic golden age characters are still pretty fun to read about.  Not everyone can be an anti-hero.  That's gets old after a while too.

Keep in mind that in this new DCU, heroes are killing.  Aquaman and Mera (in Aquaman), WW (in WW), Superman, WW and Aquaman (in JLA), and there have been GL's killing folks in GL.

FWIW, I've seen a number of complaints similar to what JudOWNED expressed about it.