LG oled tv

Mjump05 -
EasyTapper -
Mjump05 -

Does everyone here have a 4k cable box? I am getting one tomorrow and praying it makes a difference

You picking up, or are they “installing” it?

Id definitely have cable come out before geek squad.  Make sure you have adequate signal strength and nothing wonky happening with your wiring.  You shouldn’t need geek squad to plug in an electric cord and an HDMI cable.   Also, I’d reach out to LG.

Ended up cancelling the geek squad apt, upgraded my cable box to 4k, had the guy come out as cable still looked bad, he tried everything and still doesn't look good. Ps4, netflix and youtube look fine, just the cable looks bad, guess I'm SOL

You limited to one cable provider in your area?

EasyTapper -
Mjump05 -
EasyTapper -
Mjump05 -

Does everyone here have a 4k cable box? I am getting one tomorrow and praying it makes a difference

Id definitely have cable come out before geek squad.  Make sure you have adequate signal strength and nothing wonky happening with your wiring.  You shouldn’t need geek squad to plug in an electric cord and an HDMI cable.   Also, I’d reach out to LG.

Ended up cancelling the geek squad apt, upgraded my cable box to 4k, had the guy come out as cable still looked bad, he tried everything and still doesn't look good. Ps4, netflix and youtube look fine, just the cable looks bad, guess I'm SOL

You limited to one cable provider in your area?

I think I can get fios but I hate fios, had them before and it was terrible. 

Mjump05 -
EasyTapper -
Mjump05 -

I'm sorry to hear it man. I don't use cable and haven't for years so I don't have the same experience with my TV. 

The TV apps that we use give us excellent quality but we don't watch regular TV stations normally so I'm not sure we have the channels you'd be looking for in the apps that we have. 

My wife just told me we're getting a $535 chunk of money back since they price match and we bought the TV 3 weeks ago and the cost of the TV is down due to the holiday sales. I'm happy with that and with her for looking into it

Are people really paying all this money for tvs that have their screens ruined if they show a persistent image?

Lol @ paying thousands of dollars to "be careful" about fucking still images when using a monitor. 

Mark.

neonbelly -

Are people really paying all this money for tvs that have their screens ruined if they show a persistent image?

Lol @ paying thousands of dollars to "be careful" about fucking still images when using a monitor. 

Mark.

Thats why we purchased the 5 year warranty. 

Mjump05 -
EasyTapper -
Mjump05 -

Cable quality varies greatly from channel to channel even with the same provider. Some channels like Discovery HD have a very high bit rate. Others don’t. And just cause you got a TV with great resolution, it won’t help a standard def cable channel look any better. 

Ugh FML. Trying to figure this shit out is impossible. Buying new house, will upgrade the TV.

Currently have a 3.5 year old LG 70 or 75 inch 4k TV. Picked it up for 1,100 on some black Friday day years ago, so it was probably mid-level, nothing great....it's serviceable, we will move it to the bedroom, but we want something newer..

Went to Best Buy just to look at TVs...I have heard about how great Samsung is, so we wanted to see what the difference was between QLED and OLED...We realized that OLED was super expensive, it looked great, but ultimately was just a massive price increase.

So QLED...the problem with QLED was the fact Samsung handicaps their sets so they can release three versions of a QLED...a 60T, 70T, 80T...etc.. they vary in refresh rate, price, etc...but the high end QLED was approaching the price of the OLEDs...

Then we saw the LG NANO...it looked actually better than the QLEDs in the store. I saw them all side by side..It wasn't as nice as the OLEDs but very nice. It was also priced really well.

It's my understanding that LG's NANO Cell is their version of QLED, not quite as bright, so it distinguishes difference in color better, looking far more natural...

After seeing all the TVs right in front of me, I drew the conclusion that the LG Nano Cell was the best bang for the money. That's what my eyes saw. However, the research into the technology and the videos online are rough. So now I am backtracking on that.

Thinking about just going with a 65" OLED rather than a 75" QLED or NANO CELL..

This is the video that gave me concerns about nano-cell.

jcblass -

Ugh FML. Trying to figure this shit out is impossible. Buying new house, will upgrade the TV.

Currently have a 3.5 year old LG 70 or 75 inch 4k TV. Picked it up for 1,100 on some black Friday day years ago, so it was probably mid-level, nothing great....it's serviceable, we will move it to the bedroom, but we want something newer..

Went to Best Buy just to look at TVs...I have heard about how great Samsung is, so we wanted to see what the difference was between QLED and OLED...We realized that OLED was super expensive, it looked great, but ultimately was just a massive price increase.

So QLED...the problem with QLED was the fact Samsung handicaps their sets so they can release three versions of a QLED...a 60T, 70T, 80T...etc.. they vary in refresh rate, price, etc...but the high end QLED was approaching the price of the OLEDs...

Then we saw the LG NANO...it looked actually better than the QLEDs in the store. I saw them all side by side..It wasn't as nice as the OLEDs but very nice. It was also priced really well.

It's my understanding that LG's NANO Cell is their version of QLED, not quite as bright, so it distinguishes difference in color better, looking far more natural...

After seeing all the TVs right in front of me, I drew the conclusion that the LG Nano Cell was the best bang for the money. That's what my eyes saw. However, the research into the technology and the videos online are rough. So now I am backtracking on that.

At the end of the day, just go with what looks good to you. Once you’re looking at the mid range of the Samsung’s, LGs and Sony’s they are all great.

I have a series 6 and series 7 Samsung QLED in different rooms. The reviews all say the 6 is too much of a base model and all the good features start with the 7 and there is a big difference between them. So I bought the 7 for the main room and 6 for the bedroom. I can’t tell the difference between them when watching.

Really not worth blowing the budget or worrying too much about particular models imo 

FingerorMoon - 
jcblass -

At the end of the day, just go with what looks good to you. Once you’re looking at the mid range of the Samsung’s, LGs and Sony’s they are all great.

I have a series 6 and series 7 Samsung QLED in different rooms. The reviews all say the 6 is too much of a base model and all the good features start with the 7 and there is a big difference between them. So I bought the 7 for the main room and 6 for the bedroom. I can’t tell the difference between them when watching.

Really not worth blowing the budget or worrying too much about particular models imo 

Thanks for the tips. I was going to just say fuck it and grab the OLED, because they do look great, but the burn in really bothers me.

We leave the TV on day and night (tennis channel or food network). So maybe OLED isn't for me.

How these tv's look under Best Buy's lighting and in your home is something to take into consideration. It's not uncommon for the sets to be in a "display" or "vivid" mode with the brightness, contrast, and other settings jacked up to make the set look better under the fluorescent lighting. And since you won't be mounting three separate tv's side by side in your living room for comparison, there's really no reason to fuss over small differences in picture quality between each set. At the end of the day, with today's tv tech, they all look pretty damn good. I'd recommend getting the largest screen size possible relative to the distance you're viewing from the screen. With these UltraHD 4K and whatnot screens, bigger is always better and the higher the nit count, the better HDR content will look.

Just got mine set up, very happy with it so far. Was planning on getting a soundbar for it too, but honestly the built in speakers sound really good and get pretty loud, so I don't think it's even necessarry.

QLED is nothing like OLED and is just a market gimmick to get people confused. They are 2 completely different technologies. Samsung is your common lcd panel with a filter.  Oled is self immissive with perfect blacks, instant response times (for gaming) 

qled only has peak brightness going for it so for a very bright room it will be better but for a majority of tv watching oled spanks qled is every way. 

yes oled is more expensive but for something you watch oled is wayyyy better. 

in the store the Samsung probably holds it’s weight better because the store is bright as fuck. It’s one of the reasons plasma never did great, and they typically put those TVs in darker areas because that’s where they really shined. 

oled > qled > plasma > lcd

jcblass - 
FingerorMoon - 
jcblass -

Thanks for the tips. I was going to just say fuck it and grab the OLED, because they do look great, but the burn in really bothers me.

We leave the TV on day and night (tennis channel or food network). So maybe OLED isn't for me.

I know my own personality, and I would have been constantly stressing about burn-in - both potential causes for it, and checking if and when its happening. If I saw it happen at all it would drive me mental.
....and that's even with knowing (and posting in this thread) that the late 2019 models onwards have largely solved burin supposedly thanks to some software tweaks including localised screen dimming on areas it detects are at risk. But I still don't fully trust them.

I'd rather the Samsung QLED and be stress free about it. At no point have I been disappointed with the series 6 or 7. ...I'd be surprised if there was any buyer at all getting an 8 or 9 that regretted it.

....but to each their own!

So far no burn in and the TV is running great

I have zero high-end TV knowledge. I think I lose man points for that. My Westinghouse flat screen is like 9 years old and has about a 3 inch bezel. Just bought a new monitor for my Airdyne workout station. I went big. 22 inch ONN brand from Walmart. 84 smackers. The colors are VIVID.