Lifting for weight loss

I read/saw somewhere recently that it's closer to 10 calories per pound of muscle but I could be wrong Phone Post 3.0

Butterbeans Low Kicks - 
Butterbeans Low Kicks -
BarkLikeADog - Weight loss is all diet. Exercise is great but it will only slow you down. I'm aware that goes against collective folk wisdom but the science is pretty solid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FK8noIc5I&feature=youtu.be
Shit I wanted to be "in before Barklikeadog"... Phone Post 3.0
And did you copypaste this post from an other thread you lazy bastard ? Haha Phone Post 3.0

I'm pretty sure he just has it copied to his clipboard at all times. I'm also pretty sure nobody has ever watched past the first 2 minutes of the video.

I'm not sure if I'm impressed or annoyed by his dedication to posting that video.

The basic info on weight loss has been posted, but I'll just say that you need to decide if your goal is weight loss or fat loss. You can lift heavy and put on muscle and lower your body fat percentage, but not your scale weight.

If you are significantly overweight, I would limit lifting to body weight stuff (push-ups, burpees, etc) and focus on diet and increasing general activity level.

If you only have a little weight to lose, you can lift moderately and maintain a slight calorie deficit.

But lifting heavy in a significant calorie deficit is just not going to go well.

if this is not a troll and you really are serious about to lose some weight then I would recommend to not lift weights for that.

if you want the smart looking physique of a classical gentleman of regular habit then you should do some walking or running, swimming, tumbling, skipping rope, each one followed with some pushups/pullups/situps of moderate repitition

I like to focus on one or the other, either building muscle or burning fat.

I care more about getting enough protein/calories when strength training compared to maintaining a deficit.

If I do p90x style cardio (jump up and down for 45 mins) and circuit training w/ dumbells I can burn a lot of fat and lose weight quickly.

I find when I'm doing barbells and compound lifts my weight stays about the same. I can eat fish and broccoli every day and lose weight while doing compound lifts but I don't enjoy that so much. I eat a lot of drumsticks since they are cheap as fuck.

OJTT_Wiggy - Losing weight is primarily about one thing - caloric deficit.

i.e. - burning up more calories than you take on a consistent, daily basis

This occurs by A) eating less, B) burning more calories during the day, or C) a combination of the two.

The VERY best (and most effective) thing you can do if you want to lose weight is figure out how to eat less on that consistent, daily basis. Find the EASIEST and SIMPLEST way to do this, even if the method you choose is (supposedly) "less effective".

CONSISTENCY is your key here. Whatever allows you to most easily eat fewer calories day in & day out for the long-term is going to be best. This is why I almost always recommend intermittent fasting. Not eating during the day is rather easy to acclimate to & getting to eat a large, satisfying, & satiating meal at the end of the day while still eating fewer overall calories for the day has one of the greatest chances that you'll stick to it, considering that most people break "diets" because they're hungry.

Regardless, whatever type of eating plan will have you taking in fewer calories and you're most likely to stick to...do that.

As for lifting - you'll want to be strength training. None of this low-weight, high rep bullshit. You'll be having your body feast on itself for the calories it needs (but isn't getting via food). Muscle is broken down more easily & quickly than fat is, so strength training will preserve muscle while in a caloric deficit.

You can start off with basic upper / lower split. Have two upper body days - one each dedicated to horizontal pushing & vertical pushing as main movements, with assistance after that. Then two lower days - one each to Squatting & Deadlifting with assistance after that.

(Or for lower days you can do Trap Bar Deadlifts in place of both Squats & Deadlifts. I went into this & how in the Trap Bar DLing thread.)

Acclimate your body to continue to doing strength training while on a caloric deficit.

Once you've acclimated to that, you can extra activity simply be adding "active rest" to your workout in the simple form of doing 50 Jumping Jacks, Seal Jacks, or Skiers (like a Jumping Jack only your arms & legs scissor like x-country skiing) after every single set of every exercise.

Sounds simply & easy, but by the end of your workout, you'll have done likely into the thousands of Jacks/Skiers. It adds up.

Once you acclimate to that, you can add a power-endurance type of exercise (think Burpees, various Jumps, Squat Thrusts, Mountain Climbers, etc) between your strength exercise & Active Rest.

Supplement all this with just plain walking. Add a weight vest to increase difficulty. Start with 3-4 cumulative hours per week (doesn't matter when you do it). This will burn a few extra calories as well as improve your basic heart health. Build up to 45-60 mins per day if time allots. If not, make it more difficult by wearing a weight vest.

Combine these elements on a consistent day-in & day-out basis & you'll find your body composition changing more quickly than you think...not to mention your overall physical abilities (strength, cardio, etc.)
This dude knows his shit Phone Post 3.0

"I'm pretty sure he just has it copied to his clipboard at all times. I'm also pretty sure nobody has ever watched past the first 2 minutes of the video. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or annoyed by his dedication to posting that video."

I'm impressed by your dedication to willful ignorance.

I do have stock responses to common topics I care about attached to hot keys. Time management & all that.

Two options: Eat more and move more, or Eat less and move less.

The former applies to circuit training, Crossfit, multiple sports being practied within the week.

The latter applies to strength training and light like walking.

Decide which you prefer (have an appetit like a horse? Love training ALL the time? Do the former).

It's a calorie deficit which will lose you the weight, though.

Simple option? Train for strength and eat for fat loss. Add a 30 min walk in there every day and you'll lose weight.

. Phone Post 3.0

https://youtu.be/EmjyPu1UoXI Phone Post 3.0

BarkLikeADog - "I'm pretty sure he just has it copied to his clipboard at all times. I'm also pretty sure nobody has ever watched past the first 2 minutes of the video. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or annoyed by his dedication to posting that video."

I'm impressed by your dedication to willful ignorance.

I do have stock responses to common topics I care about attached to hot keys. Time management & all that.

Ok Mr. Sassypants. It's pretty ignorant to assume I'm ignorant.

If weight loss was a sport, I'd be a black belt. I'd be at least pro, if not a serious contender for the title. I've forgotten more about losing weight than you'll ever know.

I'll meet you anywhere anytime and we'll see who can lose more weight in an hour.