Light Contact MMA Tournament!!!

OK, this wasn't a jibe at the competition, just an observation, that it looked to me like someone there was a LOT better/more aggressive than his opponents, so long as everyoe had fun, that's all that matters...

manfromyard,

I will be the first to admit that this competition is not for everybody. If someone is unable to control their contact, they do not need to compete.

As for the judo throws/takedowns, all you have to do is touch the ground prior to your opponent. For example, if you were to perform a Sawanagi (sp?- I am not really up on Judo, I am trying to say the one-arm throw) all you would have to do is drop your knee to the ground as you execute it.

I believe this event will work. It may not be what you are used to, but, it will work.

ttt

ttt

One of the worst concepts EVER. I have seen a competition like this years ago, american sport JJ or some such. It is waaaay too hard to determine contact level in a continuos contact event. A major watering down of MMA.

If you have to have it call it something else, PLEASE.

Can't we all just punch along!!

This concept was called PANCRATION.

ttt

so if i was to "lightly" hoook somone in the jaw...off the start of the bell.....i may win?

Erik,

This is supposed to be a family event.

lol

Why don't they hold a "Slow running race too"?You are allowed to run but just not very fast...........

ttt

ttt

" A major watering down of MMA. "

You guys speaking against this make it sound like Pride and the UFC are going to run out and adopt these rules. Chill out.

It sounds promising, and I'm sure just as Pro MMA did, it will adapt and change as needed.

Relax. If its not your thing, don't participate.

I'd personally like to see more of this type of even as it would give an aging weekend warrior like myself an outlet to compete.

Thanks, Steve. That is exactly the kind of thing that we are trying to do with this event.

James knows what he is doing. The man has promoted many shows in GA and has been a part of MMA and martial arts for a while I believe this will be a good tourny for kids and the "older" who dont want to worry bout getting beat down but, just get their feet wet.

jscorbett,

The idea is a good one in theory, but it just won't work in practice, as "light contact" is too subjective.

I'll tell you right now what is going to happen. Two guys will go at it and all of a sudden, one will accidentally put a little too much on a shot. The guy who gets hit will get pissed and retaliate a little harder.

By the end of the first round, the guys will be going at each other full bore.

If you want to run a tournament in this spirit, use Pancrease rules where only open hand contact (i.e. slapping) to the head is allowed.

Leave "light contact" for sparring between guys that know each other that will not escalate things.

"Why don't they hold a "Slow running race too"?You are allowed to run but just not very fast........... "

Damn!!

thats good

Gforce,

That won't happen and here's why:

When contact gets too rough, the ref will stop time/the match and warn the competitors. If it happens again, the ref will stop time/the match and take a point from the guilty party. If it happens again, the guilty party will be DQed.

If the contact does not build as above and is just an instance where the offender clocks the other party, causing damage or a knockdown, the offender will be DQed.

I know this will work because I have personally ref'ed many light contact, point (continuous action - like a real match) kickboxing competitions. I usually DQ one competitor per tournament.

Again, as I have said before, if someone can't operate under our rules, they don't need to enter the competition. However, it is my experience that most can compete successfully in light contact competition.

Light contact is tough to rule on consistently

The rules around throws are bizarre

This event seems incredibly lame to me.