Lil Nog to retire after Shogun trilogy

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, known to his Brazilian fans as Minotouro, and to native English speakers as Lil Nog, started fighting in 2001. Although he never achieved success equal to that of his twin brother Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro/Big Nog" Nogueira, he had an extraordinary career. Going 23-9, Lil Nog career wins include Guy Mezger, Kazushi Sakuraba, Alistair Overeem (twice), Dan Henderson, Tito Ortiz, and Rashad Evans, in HooknShoot, DEEP, PRIDE, Affliction, and since 2009, in the UFC. And in 2007 he won a bronze medal in boxing in the 2007 Pan Ams.

Lil Nog fought Maurício "Shogun" Rua, twice, at Pride Critical Countdown 2005 and at UFC 190 in 2015, losing both via Unanimous Decision; the latter but was Fight of the Night. Lil Nog will retire after a trilogy fight vs. Shogun at UFC on ESPN+ 32 on Fight Island, Abu Dhabi, on July 25.

“I think the time has arrived,” said Nogueira to Guilherme Cruz for MMA Fighting. “It’s a lot of work, several projects, the head doesn’t stop. I’ll do my things, but I’m sure I’ll adapt to not fighting anymore. It’s going to be hard [laughs], maybe I’ll have to do more yoga and meditation to get me focused on doing other things instead of thinking about fights. And I’ll be a coach, I have my team, I’ll be able to train them, so it’s okay. Maybe finding new champions will satisfy this desire or winning.”

“You go to the gym and watch athletes training, it will get to a point where you will train but won’t have the competition. You’re always moved my goals, competitions, but it’s time to think about the post-career, take care of other projects, think about other things. You can’t focus 100 percent in everything. We have the Team Nogueira project, my seminars and lectures. We were splitting the energy and focus, and now I’ll be able to close with a great fight.

“It’s gonna be hard, but I’m okay with it and I’m doing it the best way possible, fighting a great champion, someone I respect, someone that gave me a rivalry that forced me to train even harder. I train more when I’m fighting ‘Shogun.’ I’m excited, I know it’s going to be a great fight.”

“Getting so close, being one of the five best in the UFC, and always being one of the three best in PRIDE, but I think I’ve done great things. Great fights. It was a great career. It’s been a great career.”

Fantastic.

It will be a fitting end to his career. I hope Shogun follows him into retirement.

4 Likes
cyberc92 -

It will be a fitting end to his career. I hope Shogun follows him into retirement.

This.

Nog and shogun should have retired a long time ago. Unfortunately one of them is going to get Koed Saturday. 

4 Likes

I hope that both retire, as well.  It's too bad this couldn't be in Brazil, but under the current circumstances, who knows when that would be. 

It's remarkable that these guys are still fighting in 2020.

cyberc92 -

Came to say this. 

Id like to see both guys hang them up. 

I also think lil nog was better than big nog. 

Thebonfirexm -
cyberc92 -

This.

Nog and shogun should have retired a long time ago. Unfortunately one of them is going to get Koed Saturday. 

This! It will be like watching a car wreck! Sad! 

Did not know this fight was happening, don't even feel like a trilogy fight is necessary and yet I'm excited to watch. 

Hopefully it's everything Lil Nog wants and then he enjoys retirement.

Legends of the sport… and of a better era.

2 Likes

He should retire beforehand. There’s still time. 

I think he pulls it off and feigns an attempt to strike and then subs Shogun.

Both are awesome athletes and people.

Both stayed way past their prime and sadly wont be remembered for their well rounded skillsets. Both are legends. Little Nog is one of the most underrated fighters ever IMO. 

Why is this fight happening? I love these two but really don't see why they are having a trilogy at this point. 

No ,Nog should avenge his loss to Rumble.after Shogun he should try to win it back from Rumble.Rumble will be rusty off the retirement, perfect chance for Nog!

Shogun will give him no choice but to retire....WAR Shogun

gonna be another war

shogun goes to war every damn fight

bad knees nowadays though

EKPOGI -

No ,Nog should avenge his loss to Rumble.after Shogun he should try to win it back from Rumble.Rumble will be rusty off the retirement, perfect chance for Nog!

Do you want nog to die? Even a rusty rumble KOs him.

1 Like

they should have both retired years ago, but it's up to them I guess. watching the old fights before this, would lead to depressed feelings come fight time.

MojoSoDope -
EKPOGI -

Do you want nog to die? Even a rusty rumble KOs him.

One way to find out