Lindland = Chris Byrd Syndrome

Without a doubt Lindland is one of the best middleweights there is. But he's not charasmatic, and he's not particularly exciting. Its not a knock on the guy, I'm just making the point that the UFC has to be able to sell tix. Lindland doesn't sell tix. Its the same way with Chris Byrd in boxing, one of the best in his division for sure, but unexciting and noncharismatic. No promoter can come out ahead on a show with a fighter like that. It is a valid point that you should keep the best fighters around for your show, I understand the argument. But you have to respect the promoters ability to sell their show and generate tix revenue, because if promoters lose the ability to generate tix revenue by hanging onto fighters who don't sell, then eventually the show will go under and NOBODY gets to fight.

Correct. It's unfortunate, but that's business.

I disagree. Lindland is generally part of the undercard and has little power to affect ticket sales for a promotion with 5-7 fights. If Lindland were on Tito/Chuck there would be little or no difference whether it would sell. If he were the only fighter there then maybe you might have an argument, but when has 185 headlined anything?

The problem is improper MARKETING just like with Chris Byrd. Also, the analogy doesn't really hold true since Lindland has FINISHED his opponents and Byrd hasn't. You're proceeding from a false presumption. Only a few of you really believe Lindland is boring, I myself find him more entertaining than a LOT of fighters. Maybe because I actually train, who knows....?

While Lindland is a fine fighter the majority does
not find him exciting. The majority rules and
unfortunately the niche fans have little or no say.

csc, you train, good for you.

"you train, good for you."

I'll assume that's a dig, ok, fine. The point is that some people watch this sport for the intricacies of actual fighting and could care less about the fluff.

"Niche fans"????

Excuse me buddy, we 'niche fans' were the ones who brought this sport back to life. We supported it when you were watching the WWE.

"Lindland is generally part of the undercard and has little power to affect ticket sales for a promotion with 5-7 fights."

That's the problem. There must be a reason one of the best fighters in the world is not a main draw.

"That's the problem. There must be a reason one of the best fighters in the world is not a main draw."

That has nothing to do with it. Pride doesn't have a 185lb division because people aren't hyped on the lighter weights. Even in Professional Boxing that weight is overlooked many times. Let's not try to make Lindland the cause of the lack of interest at 185.

sorry csc,..even though you make some solid points,..I have to go with Chad.

I have little interest in watching Lindland fight. As a paying customer, I would rather see that same fighters purse go to a more exciting fighter than Lindland.

Does Lindland have world class mma skills? No doubt. Do I care to watch any lay and pray fighter? Nope.

I too enjoy the technical aspect of the sport but
there is an economic reality at play that must be
addressed.

The comment about you training was intended to
illustrate that training does not make you opinion
any more or less valid than anybody else's.

While admittedly the WWE guys are tremendous
athletes, I do not enjoy wathing the television
program. I have been a fan and supporter of the
sport for far longer than most. Good try though.

" sorry csc,..even though you make some solid points,..I have to go with Chad."

You're entitled. I believe my opinion reflects those of us who were here in the beginning and will be here whether the sport achieves mainstream success or not. We support the sport regardless of the flashing lights and explosions.

"Do I care to watch any lay and pray fighter? Nope."

Sounds like a Baroni catch-phrase. I challenge anyone to show me a Matt Lindland fight where he did not attempt to push the fight or finish. We already know that he's done it 7 out of 10 times so are we basing this opinion on the other 3 bouts?

" I too enjoy the technical aspect of the sport but there is an economic reality at play that must be addressed."

And I have addressed that in full. Unless you can prove that Lindland's presence or Baroni's presence determines anything I'd say the point is moot.

"The comment about you training was intended to illustrate that training does not make you opinion any more or less valid than anybody else's."

It wasn't meant to, it was to 'illustrate' that FIGHTING is my primary concern, not shiny bathrobes or yelling.

Ok, Lindland wants more money than than Zuffa
has determined he is worth, or Zuffa just does not
see a positive return on investing in Lindland.
Either way it is Zuffa's call.

Fighting is a great concern to have, best of luck
with that.

There are plenty of talented people out there who
do many great things, the one's who get
recognized and paid offer something more.
Something the others do not. That is the
unfortunate truth.

"Lindland wants more money than than Zuffa has determined he is worth"

Who says? This isn't contract negotiation, he hasn't been called back. Money hasn't been discussed.

"Fighting is a great concern to have, best of luck with that."

Are we talking about Water Polo or MMA?

"the one's who get recognized and paid offer something more"

I'm really not sure where this part is heading...

CSC, I understand your argument. But just like Zimmerman has already pointed out, there's a problem when one of the best in the division can't sell tix. You said he's marketed wrong, but what angle could you market him from? He's had countless appearances in the UFC, but he's still an unknown to the nondiehard UFC fans. Those are the people that bringing in PPV sales is imperative for the survival of the UFC. (By the way, I appreciate you disagreeing in a respectful manner.) The UFC is a business, and Baroni sells tix. We'll see the same with Murray. How would you market Lindland?