Link Gaetz in Hockey Gladiators!

And the Prize Money has tripled!

From hockeygladiators.com:

The Executives of BATTLE OF THE HOCKEY GLADIATORS have accepted seven (7) more participants into the first of its kind pay per view sports spectacular set for September 2004.

The players selected all meet the new qualifications of having at least Junior A experience, three are former NHL players.

The seven new Hockey Gladiators are:

Lyndon Byers – Nipawin, SK (born in 1964), played 279 NHL games with Boston and San Jose, accumulated 1,081 penalty minutes while in the NHL.

Link Gaetz – from Vancouver, BC (born in 1968), played 65 NHL Games with Minnesota and San Jose, accumulated 412 penalty minutes while in the NHL and is still an active player in the QSPHL.

Kent Carlson – Concord, NH (born in 1962), played 113 NHL games with Montreal, St. Louis, and Washington, accumulated 148 penalty minutes while in the NHL.

Dean Mayrand – Windsor, ON (born in 1977), plays in the QSPHL for St. Jean Mission. Accumulated 235 penalty minutes in just 40 games last season.

Shawn Legault – Legal AB (born in 1977), plays in the CHL for New Mexico Scorpions. Accumulated 271 penalty minutes in just 41 games last season.

Jason Bone – Keeseekoowenin, MB (born in 1980), plays in the QSPHL for Verdun Dragons. Accumulated 287 penalty minutes with Adirondack in the UHL last season.

Steve Bosse - St. Jean, PQ (born in 1982), plays in the QSPHL for Verdun Dragons. Accumulated 252 penalty minutes in just 35 games this season.

The prize money has also been tripled for the event. Total purse now sits at $140,000 (USD) with the overall winner to receive $100,000 (USD).

man I think this is a great event, I have always thought who is the champ... not all my favs will be in it but we will be watching for sure!

Too bad it's not all former NHLers, still very cool at any rate though

Dude, Ive got the inside info... here's a tip - dont bet against Sasha Lakovic.

pfft... Twist has this in the bag. All he has to do is show up, assuming he didnt just sit around and turn to jello since he hasnt played in awhile.

Twist is a killer

I know Jason Bone. He went to the school my dad used to work at. He graduated and went out to Kamloops I think to play hockey.

One day my uncle calls and says did you hear about Jay Bone. I guess he was drunk with a buddy and was pulled over by my cousin who's an rcmp out there. He recognized my cousins last name and asked if he knew my dad. The reply was yes and he said to tell him that "he's out in Kamloops doing fine" while he's shitfaced in back of the squadcar, lol.

My uncle then calls again to ask if dad heard about Jay again. He said nope and my uncle informed him that Jay hopped the boards to go into the crowd to fight someone during a game, haha.

I hope Jay Bone, Jordan Roach, or some other Saskatchewan Boy like Byers or Parker wins it. Although the favourite has to be the Twister and who the fuck is Sasha Lashovic? :)

You'll know who Sasha Lakovic is after the event. Trust me. He's training everyday.

"pfft... Twist has this in the bag. All he has to do is show up, assuming he didnt just sit around and turn to jello since he hasnt played in awhile."

I wouldn't put my money on Sasha OR Twist. I'll be rooting for Twist, he's my all-time favorite NHL tough guy. However, Twist was a good hockey fighter because he was SCARY, NOT because he won a high percentage of his fights. His balls to the wall fighting style earned him many wicked KO wins, but it also earned him several one punch losses...he was vulnerable to being dropped by a quick punch, and it could well happen in this tourney, even to some junior chump we've never heard of.

Sasha never was much of a fighter from what I saw. I always loved the guy though. His fighting style included a lot of hugging, hopefully he's training to be a bit more aggressive this time around. First time I saw him was in the RHI, he was playing for the Vancouver Voodoo and laid out one of our Portland Rage players with one of the best hits I've ever seen in hockey. Of course it was completely illegal (which is why it was such a wicked hit, the guy didn't see it coming because it was away from the play.) But it was one hell of a hit. That was a non-fighting league, but he fought Kelly Hubbard I beleive twice that season.

"but it also earned him several one punch losses"

um, no it didnt.

"Sasha never was much of a fighter from what I saw"

He was/is pretty good, but not in the same league as Twist or normal established enforcers.

Off the top of my head I remember fights that Twist lost to McKenzie, Leroux, Ewen...He had a terrific fighting record, but nothing like Probert in his prime.

I'm not dogging Twist here, like I said he's my all time favorite NHL fighter. But his style makes him susceptible to being punched if his opponents have the balls to throw back. His style also made for a lot of nothing fights with early slips. Both guys throw 1 or 2 wild punches, miss, tumble to the ice.

I've been wondering about that actually, how are they going to score those fights in this hockey gladiators?

the only problem i see is that when all these fights end in knockouts, the KO'd guy will fall to the ice and bash his head.

stephen

"the only problem i see is that when all these fights end in knockouts, the KO'd guy will fall to the ice and bash his head."

Happens extremely rarely at best. True KO's are quite rare in hockey fights, and even when they do happen, I can't recall many where a guy hit his head on the ice.

Vandebusche's ko of Kypreous was pretty bad. Knocked him out and he fell face first on the ice and was bleeding onto the ice.

Saw a guy one punch knocked out in junior and he went down face first. He was out cold and was lying there on the ice still holding onto the other guys sweater. The puncher, gentleman's code, just stood there and waited for the linesmen to come in and help the punchie out.