linux source tree

I'm trying to install an ma401 wireless card. I'm also a linux newbie. The instructions have me running a make config. The make utility comes up and asks for the linux source tree. default value /usr/src/linux. In my /usr/src/ directory, there is only a redhat and a debug directory. When I use either of those, I get an error message "linux source tree /usr/src/xxxx is incomplete or missing". I am running RH9. I've google searched, and they suggest getting the source kernel off of the CD, or a mirror. I cannot find a kernel-source...rpm on the CD in the RPMS directory. Again, as a newbie, I suspect my stupidity, but I'm stuck. Help please.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks
I found the (or a) source kernel. I am having a grend (read difficult) time installing this netgear ma401 card. I am doing this via a wireless pci adapter. I'm not sure if the card is officially supported by RH, I believe it isn't. If anyone has had good sucess installing a wirless card (desktop) with linux rh9, I'd appreciate it.

Again, thanks

Rob

cajones I tried your idea. Sounded good, but didn't detect the ma401. there is a site that gives instructions on installing the card, even though RH says it isn't supported. basically, you download 3 rpm's, and install them.

On the next reboot, got an error on module p80211.o. Looked up error (google is my freind), article suggested insmod locations of p80211.o (/lib/module/2.4....) did this, found out that the files I downloaded were for another kernel (I'm running 2.4.20-6 - I think).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade the kernel. Again, I'm a windows guy, so this whole thing is ...interesting. Was up till about 2am trying to get this thing working. Suggestions are more than welcome.

More importantly...Merry Christmas to you all,

Rob

Ok, how do you upgrade the kernel? I'm stumpered. I'm really pretty good with windows, honestly. I'm not used to being so completly clueless with a computer. Also, good sources of linux knowledge would be handy, so I don't have to keep asking here.

Thanks,

Rob

Cajones - Thanks for the response. Actually, the problems don't suck, I work on PC's for a living, and enjoy trouble shooting. It's just that Linux is so different than what I'm used to. If I sounded frustrated, that was just talking after staying up too late ;-) Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I am thinking about downloading a different distro, just I have RH9 on CD, so I was using this one.

Again, thanks, and hope your christmas (or just holiday's ) went well.

Rob

You don't need to reinstall to probe. Just do 'touch /etc/reconfigSys' with captical S. If you are running RH, that will run the anaconda booter at loadtime.

THe first thing to try might be upgrading the kernel via Red Hat way. First remove the 3 RPM's you installed. Download the latest kernel rpm (for 7.3 it's 2.4.20-20). Type "rpm --install *kernel name here.rpm*". Then try loading with that kernel. TO do this, edit /etc/grub.conf and change the 'default' to '0'. THat should boot the new kernel. If you are lucky, the drivers are there.

If that doesn't work, you may need to download the newest kernel from kernel.org (kernel 2.4.22), and hope that the drivers are there. At that point it is a lot harder (as cajones says). So try donwloading the newest RH kernel first.

Downloading Debian will not help you. Debian is even tougher with regards to kernel and kernel options. RH (or maybe Suse) is about the easiest way to go.

asdf

Thank very much for the tips. I will try them ASAP.

Rob