Little Guys

Dirk,

Review the CYCLE OF BEHAVIOR and follow your key thoughts.

BELIEF 1: This leads me to believe that to have a chance I've got to train harder than you because there's a good possiblity that I'll meet some one bigger than I am.

BELIEF 2: I would love to train at Martial Arts every day but I feel that I've got to put in some time at the gym with weights.

BELIEF 3: I feel that I have to become stronger to stand a chance so I cut back on the amount of 'fighting training' to get in some weight training.

BELIEF 4: I also feel that I've got to be twice as good as you to survive.

Thats a belief's to carry around.

The 'good big vs good small' was a metaphor to debunk an erroneous myth about the magic of martial arts.

Do not have it derail your confidence by fixating on it in a personal way.

A good small guy can whip a good big guy, it just depends what theyre both good at...

food for thought.

TOny

Dirk don't confuse "Good Big guy will beat a Good Little Guy every time" with "a big guy will beat a good little guy everytime". Remember we were talking about people with equal skills facing each other. By you having superior training, you are giving yourself a bit of an edge against a less trained, but larger assailant.

Now that doesn't mean that you can't benefit from some physical conditioning, but becareful not to fall into the "I have to bulk up so I stand a chance in a fight" syndrome. Make sure you are balancing out conditioning time along with comphrensive training time.

Chris

Hey, finally something I can comment on!!!!

Force is equal to mass*acceleration, but what you are really worried about is kinetic energy, which is represented by the formula [0.5*(mass*velocity^2]).
Velocity is by far the more important of the two variables for determining the energy at impact.

How does this explain short punching, no, one and three inch punching? How much velocity is there? (I'm serious, not trolling.) Structure must have some play here.

With short punching, it often depends on where you hit.
If it lands on your opponents chin, it does not take a
lot of force to achieve the desired effect. Also, the
way your body moves is supposed to create a lot of
acceleration in the small space.

PDR Maxim:

"Your opponent is already dangerous, do not make him more dangerous but thinking less of your self or imbuing him with skills he has not proved."

TB

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I should just train hard and not worry so much about the other guy or what he has in his toolbox. I should make sure that my toolbox is full and be prepared. That's all any of us can do.

Dirk,

It seems to me that the type of conflict we are talking about is key. If you are talking about mutual combat where you don't have the element of suprise on your side then it is better to be big than small.
If we are talking about a self defense situation where the bad guy has no idea what your capabilities are and decides to attack you perhaps because of your small size then you have an awesome suprise in store for him.
A bad guy's tactics are influenced by his perception of what type of struggle you might put up. Thus we train the NVP. I believe that your size could even give you a leg up in a self defense situation...maybe the guy figures he doesn't need his gun or knife for someone as small as you; where as, for a larger target he might well be more prepared...(armed or at least mentally aroused). I used to think that the biggest advantage was the ability to absorb punishment,but proper targeting changes that.
I dunno...I figure you have what you have...figure out what advantages that gives you ...exploit them and train like you love it!
MrBlauer cites examples of small women who have kicked the crap out of larger male opponents in self defense situations...even untrained women against armed attackers. Its hard to get out of the mindset of fighting and into the mindset of self defense sometimes...they are two different animals in my opinion.
Thanks,
Gene
PS.I havent been on this forum in awhile...if my post is out of line or violates the spirit of the forum please delete it and it wont happen again.

F=MA
Force equals Mass times Acceleration(if I've got my physics right). That means that most of you get hit allot harder than I can unless I'm as fast as 'Bruce'. I'm only 150 lbs.
At the last PDR we all agreed that a Good Big guy will beat a Good Little Guy every time. This leads me to believe that to have a chance I've got to train harder than you because there's a good possiblity that I'll meet some one bigger than I am. I would love to train at Martial Arts every day but I feel that I've got to put in some time at the gym with weights. I feel that I have to become stronger to stand a chance so I cut back on the amount of 'fighting training' to get in some weight training. I also feel that I've got to be twice as good as you to survive.

I know that some of you guys will say that I'm placing too much emphasis on the 'Physical' and you may be right, but I'm interested to find out how other 'little guys' think.