Living near powerlines?

How far away should you live from powerlines to avoid radiation/EMF? 

laziest Erin Brockovich ever

2 Likes

I thought radiation was beneficial 

1 Like

I thought that was an old wives tale. In for factual facts. 

stanky leg -
Bend The Knee -

How far away should you live from powerlines to avoid radiation/EMF? 

It depends on the voltage, the higher it is the larger the resulting magnetic field.

What is the calculation? 

Seriously, there have been major lawsuits won against the likes of Houston Light & Power etc. over this issue. It is absolutely a concern. 

I would absolutely not purchase a home under a primary transmission feeder. I would also suggest that a lot of cases of breast cancer are caused by women cooking over electric stoves. One of the worst offenders in a typical home.  Buy a guass meter and see for yourself. 

Cancer clusters. 

1 Like

I've lived undty the. For years and old fine.

3 Likes
EFM -

Well that explains your inability to construct a sentence. 

4 Likes
Luke Rockhard - 
EFM -

subtle jokes are DOA on the OG

2 Likes
mixedmartialfarts -
Luke Rockhard - 
EFM -

subtle jokes are DOA on the OG

I got the joke. I was furthering the narrative. 

1 Like

There has been a lot of research on whether exposure to ELF EMF from electrical sources below the exposure limits causes any health effects. Most of the research indicates that ELF EMF exposure normally encountered in the environment, including in the vicinity of powerlines, does not pose a risk to human health.

However, there are some epidemiological (population) studies that have reported a possible association between prolonged exposure to ELF magnetic fields at levels below the exposure limits but higher than what is typically encountered and increased rates of childhood leukaemia. Based largely on this limited evidence the International Agency for Research on Cancer has ELF magnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans.

There are problems with the methods in epidemiological studies that weaken the conclusion from these results. It is not known how magnetic fields could cause childhood leukaemia. Overall, other research including studies on cells and animals has not confirmed these results. On balance, the evidence related to childhood leukaemia is not strong; however people should be aware of the issue in order to make informed decisions.

1 Like

If I told you how far you'd really have to be... you'd be shocked.

1 Like
Soup Nazi - There has been a lot of research on whether exposure to ELF EMF from electrical sources below the exposure limits causes any health effects. Most of the research indicates that ELF EMF exposure normally encountered in the environment, including in the vicinity of powerlines, does not pose a risk to human health.

However, there are some epidemiological (population) studies that have reported a possible association between prolonged exposure to ELF magnetic fields at levels below the exposure limits but higher than what is typically encountered and increased rates of childhood leukaemia. Based largely on this limited evidence the International Agency for Research on Cancer has ELF magnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans.

There are problems with the methods in epidemiological studies that weaken the conclusion from these results. It is not known how magnetic fields could cause childhood leukaemia. Overall, other research including studies on cells and animals has not confirmed these results. On balance, the evidence related to childhood leukaemia is not strong; however people should be aware of the issue in order to make informed decisions.

buy the house directly under a power line or 2 miles away?  easy choice for me.

I No Kung Foo -

nice pun.  how far?

Dont be a panocha and trim your trees.

TFK_HossPearson -

I thought that was an old wives tale. In for factual facts. 

It is an old wives tale from the late 1970s. An era where digital watches were high tech and mobile computing was pure sci-fi fantasy. It was based on ye olde thinking of all radiation being exactly the same.

We now have multiple 4g, wifi and Bluetooth signals going through us 24/7 and are now in extreme close proximity to mobile phones and now mobile computing watches 24/7. We’re being bombarded all day every day by shit that didn’t exist in the late 1970s.

No study has ever been able to prove any sort of link between high voltage powerlines and cancer. At the most a study will conclude ‘limited evidence’ which in research speak is saying they can’t really find anything.

2 Likes

I've always wondered about this.

In Auckland, it seems like they went to great effort to keep the main line east from Penrose substation clear of housing, then basically said "fuck it" after  a couple of kilometres. When I was living close to a pylon in Mt Wellington, it would hum and gently vibrate at night.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-36.904748,174.8197331,629m/data=!3m1!1e3

EFM -
I No Kung Foo -

nice pun.  how far?

Back in the day, when I was an electrician, I had a tester that would glow if you held it close to wire if it was "hot".   It could read right through the sheathing if you held it about 2 inches away.

One day when I was driving in my soft top Jeep I held it to the roof as I went under some power lines that crossed the road.  The mother fucker glowed.  It actually kind of scared me a little.  I didn't expect it to glow like that. These were tall lines, not your old fashioned telephone pole heights.  

There was some new construction being built under them that I was considering buying but those wires and that glow kept me away.  Fuck that.

1 Like
I No Kung Foo -

Tell me