loading ones own bullets

I am interested in learning said activity. Just need some help in this subject. Anyone here do this or know how to?

I reload and it's fun as hell. Also quite rewarding to stack ammo you made yourself. Phone Post 3.0

Anyone ever have trouble with reloads jamming? I've gotten some from a reputable store that claims to have sold thousands of reloads, to police departments, with no issues. First magazine i tried in my Glock 19, jammed.

After reading that the tolerances in a Glock are super tight(not sure i BS), i tried them in my Ruger. First magazine i tried in my SR9c, jammed. I would have liked to be able to use them, but it just didnt work out. Should i just try a new supplier? Phone Post 3.0

Rhymenoceros -
Squirrel Guard - Anyone ever have trouble with reloads jamming? I've gotten some from a reputable store that claims to have sold thousands of reloads, to police departments, with no issues. First magazine i tried in my Glock 19, jammed.

After reading that the tolerances in a Glock are super tight(not sure i BS), i tried them in my Ruger. First magazine i tried in my SR9c, jammed. I would have liked to be able to use them, but it just didnt work out. Should i just try a new supplier? Phone Post 3.0

It 100% depends on the quality of the reloads.

When you say, "jammed," I'm not sure what you mean. Did they fail to feed? Fail to eject? Something else?

With my set up, I can size used brass down to factory standards, I can tailor loads to run perfectly in my guns (such as long-loaded .40 S&W), and I can dial in the accuracy to much better than what you would get from a factory round. It's way cheaper, too.

Now, if your supplier is using bulged brass and not resizing it well, it may fail to feed. Likewise if he's going for a "light" target load and you have a heavy factory spring, it may not eject very well. Those are both really easy fixes if you're loading the ammo yourself.

Knock on wood, but I've shot an estimated 40K factory rounds, and about 25K of my reloads, and the only ammo-related stoppages I've ever had were from factory rounds.
Although i've been around guns my whole life, i'm not knowledgable as i could be. When i say jammed i mean i shot a round and the shell ejected but the slide didnt go all the way forward and the next round was stuck halfway in the chamber. If that makes any sense. Same thing, both guns. And to look at the shell, they seem to be in pretty good shape, and no dents or anything.

I guess it just made me wary of reloads and turned me off to the whole idea. Would be nice to save money on the ammo though. Phone Post 3.0

OneDoesNotSimplyLoadOnesBullets.jpg Phone Post 3.0

Rhymenoceros -
Squirrel Guard - 
Rhymenoceros -
Squirrel Guard - Anyone ever have trouble with reloads jamming? I've gotten some from a reputable store that claims to have sold thousands of reloads, to police departments, with no issues. First magazine i tried in my Glock 19, jammed.

It 100% depends on the quality of the reloads.

When you say, "jammed," I'm not sure what you mean. Did they fail to feed? Fail to eject? Something else?

With my set up, I can size used brass down to factory standards, I can tailor loads to run perfectly in my guns (such as long-loaded .40 S&W), and I can dial in the accuracy to much better than what you would get from a factory round. It's way cheaper, too.

Now, if your supplier is using bulged brass and not resizing it well, it may fail to feed. Likewise if he's going for a "light" target load and you have a heavy factory spring, it may not eject very well. Those are both really easy fixes if you're loading the ammo yourself.

Knock on wood, but I've shot an estimated 40K factory rounds, and about 25K of my reloads, and the only ammo-related stoppages I've ever had were from factory rounds.
Although i've been around guns my whole life, i'm not knowledgable as i could be. When i say jammed i mean i shot a round and the shell ejected but the slide didnt go all the way forward and the next round was stuck halfway in the chamber. If that makes any sense. Same thing, both guns. And to look at the shell, they seem to be in pretty good shape, and no dents or anything.

I guess it just made me wary of reloads and turned me off to the whole idea. Would be nice to save money on the ammo though. Phone Post 3.0

Ah, I see. What you're describing makes sense.

There could be a couple of factors causing the problem. The brass may not have been sized well enough. Did the rounds chamber if you took the barrel out and just dropped one in?

Also the length of the rounds or the shape of the bullets may not have been good for your guns' feed ramp geometry. In .40, for example, some truncated cone bullets just don't like to feed in some guns.

If you reloaded this yourself then all of the above would be directly under your control. You could resize the brass, find a length that works perfectly, and avoid bullets that have a shape that your gun doesn't like.
You know, i never tried to chamber a single round after i had the issues. Gave away the rounds and chalked it up to a learning experience.

Maybe its time i look into learning a handy new skill. Appreciate the input. VU's all around. Phone Post 3.0

Rhymenoceros - Here's the relevant text from the thread I tried to start the other day. I'd be happy to answer any questions, and I know there are a bunch of people here who have way more reloading experience than I have, so hopefully they will chime in as well.

"I've owned a Dillon 550 and now a 650. I reload 9mm and .40, and this year I'll load/shoot about 25k rounds.

For 9mm I like a plated 147 gr bullet at 1.140" OAL with 3.5 gr. of Solo 1000 (a shotgun powder if you haven't heard of it). I also like 3.3 gr of E3 (another shotgun powder) with the same OAL and bullet above. Both of those get me about 905 fps with a low standard deviation.

For .40 I have been using a 180 gr jacketed bullet at 1.200" OAL with 5.3 gr of N320. That gets me about 950 fps, but the SD sucks, so I'm still looking for a better .40 load. These are being shot out of 1911- pistols, hence the long OAL.

Has anyone wanted to get started reloading but was unsure of what to buy or how to go about it? I and a bunch of other OGers can help!"
I have a question(s) on the E3.

What type of powder is it? Flake?
Is it clean?
Pressure issues?
Have you tried it in any other caliber? Phone Post 3.0

B17 - I think KVR has some links on this topic on his site, TheHomesteadingBoards.com
You would have to search his forum.
Yup, there's a really good thread there. Just search reloading and you should find it. Phone Post 3.0