Lockdowns/quarantines are BS

I’ve never said this was “just the flu” or wasn’t serious. We should take some measures, but these lockdowns are fucking bullshit. There is NO WAY this virus will kill as many people total as heart disease does in a year. Yet everyone would buck a proposed system of mandatory exercise enforced by arrests and fines.

15 Likes

And how much less intrusive would a mandatory exercise session be than a total prohibition on all activity?

3 Likes

You should head to your local Chinese buffet

1 Like

I totally agree, next year we should choose Corona deaths instead of heart disease deaths. Obvious choice.

3 Likes

So trump really just extended the quarantine to April 30th? Bro that’s fucked up. I’m having gym withdraws lol

The minimal gains I earned in the past 2 years are all going to go away in just 2 months. So depressing 

2 Likes

lol libertarianism killed itself with globalism, open borders bullshit

1 Like

In

North Carolina goes on lockdown tomorrow at 5pm.

Except that the list of types of businesses staying open is a mile long - it'd be easier to list the shit that can't stay open.

Onikage - I totally agree, next year we should choose Corona deaths instead of heart disease deaths. Obvious choice.

I can’t imagine how this makes sense. 

Sandy Pantz -

lol libertarianism killed itself with globalism, open borders bullshit

I don’t know what this means either.

Vegito Blue -

So trump really just extended the quarantine to April 30th? Bro that’s fucked up. I’m having gym withdraws lol

The minimal gains I earned in the past 2 years are all going to go away in just 2 months. So depressing 

There is no quarantine right now. Recommendations have been given nationally for social distancing and some states have made some more strict requirements on businesses, closing schools, requesting people stay at home, etc. What is being discussed here is quarantine and lockdown enforced by law enforcement and/or military like in China and other countries.

Don’t get me started on smoking. I don’t think we should ban that either, but doing so would *clearly* be better than this, and it kills, what, 450,000 every year?

2 Likes

Wiggy -

Except that the list of types of businesses staying open is a mile long - it'd be easier to list the shit that can't stay open.

My county in NC has been on lockdown since last Thursday 

1 Like
truewrestler -
Vegito Blue -

There is no quarantine right now. Recommendations have been given nationally for social distancing and some states have made some more strict requirements on businesses, closing schools, requesting people stay at home, etc. What is being discussed here is quarantine and lockdown enforced by law enforcement and/or military like in China and other countries.

In Chicago police are guarding outdoor trails and parks. And of course most businesses are forcefully shut down. 

MojoSoDope - 
Wiggy -

Wake? Durham?

My current opinion about this situation:

1). Let me say off the bat, I do not in anyway think the virus is a hoax.  It is serious and you don’t want to get it.

2).  That being said, I think the response from politicians, private citizens, and the media has been a disaster for the most part.  Politicians (trying to look like they’re in charge and “doing something”) mostly end up getting exposed as being idiots, and the media make things worse by doing nothing but fear mongering 24 hours a day in a ratings hunt.  

3.). Before I continue, let me remind the sensitive among you that I am in no way saying the virus isn’t serious.  So save the “but Italy!” whaling.  What I will say is that 100% safety at all costs is neither safe in itself nor is it realistic.  What if all the “experts” said the best response was to send the national guard out to patrol our neighborhoods and anyone who leaves their homes gets arrested.  For six months.  Would you be ok with that?   No?  Why?  The experts said we should!  IMO health is one thing we should consider.  We should also consider the economy.  

4.)  IMO the quarantines are well meaning but had a very limited shelf life.  As the weather gets nicer and the weeks drag on, more and more people will start to say fuck this.  Screaming at them on Instagram won’t matter.   

5.)  Why do people trust the government so easily?  What has the government done to earn your trust?  “The government” is politicians.

6.)  People have been so quick to give up their rights, all because some politicians told them to. It’s sad.  

7.)  The quarantines are well-meaning but unenforceable.  Would Mario Cuomo send the national guard out into New York to arrest people for leaving their house?  Maybe.  Would Greg Abbott do that in Texas?  Not unless he wants literal riots all over his state.  He will take his chances with Corona, trust me.  

3 Likes

txdcgop - 

My current opinion about this situation:

1). Let me say off the bat, I do not in anyway think the virus is a hoax.  It is serious and you don’t want to get it.

2).  That being said, I think the response from politicians, private citizens, and the media has been a disaster for the most part.  Politicians (trying to look like they’re in charge and “doing something”) mostly end up getting exposed as being idiots, and the media make things worse by doing nothing but fear mongering 24 hours a day in a ratings hunt.  

3.). Before I continue, let me remind the sensitive among you that I am in no way saying the virus isn’t serious.  So save the “but Italy!” whaling.  What I will say is that 100% safety at all costs is neither safe in itself nor is it realistic.  What if all the “experts” said the best response was to send the national guard out to patrol our neighborhoods and anyone who leaves their homes gets arrested.  For six months.  Would you be ok with that?   No?  Why?  The experts said we should!  IMO health is one thing we should consider.  We should also consider the economy.  

4.)  IMO the quarantines are well meaning but had a very limited shelf life.  As the weather gets nicer and the weeks drag on, more and more people will start to say fuck this.  Screaming at them on Instagram won’t matter.   

5.)  Why do people trust the government so easily?  What has the government done to earn your trust?  “The government” is politicians.

This is where I land.

If we all lock ourselves away in our homes permanently there will be no more deaths related to traffic accidents. There will be no deaths related to sports injuries.

We also will no longer be free.

We'll be allowed out when they check our papers and allow us to go out.

I struggle to see how any of this is enforceable.

I am located near the epicenter and I've been a solid citizen (more solid than my neighbors) for the last few weeks.

I'm about done...

MojoSoDope -
Wiggy -

Gaston County?

The other thing is, let’s make a list of all the things that kill more people than this will.  Let’s start w cars.  Accidents, drunk driving, etc.  Let’s make all cars illegal.  It would save so many lives per year!  “That’s insane and impossible!” you’re saying.  I agree!  100%. But it seems more plausible now than it would have three weeks ago, right?  Look how easily small business owners (for instance) were to convince that they had to be ok with basically being forced at proverbial gunpoint to go out of business.  

I guess my feeling is this all getting a little to Nazi for me.  We even have politicians asking neighbors to inform on each other.  That’s gestapo shit.  No thanks.

txdcgop -

The other thing is, let’s make a list of all the things that kill more people than this will.  Let’s start w cars.  Accidents, drunk driving, etc.  Let’s make all cars illegal.  It would save so many lives per year!  “That’s insane and impossible!” you’re saying.  I agree!  100%. But it seems more plausible now than it would have three weeks ago, right?  Look how easily small business owners (for instance) were to convince that they had to be ok with basically being forced at proverbial gunpoint to go out of business.  

I guess my feeling is this all getting a little to Nazi for me.  We even have politicians asking neighbors to inform on each other.  That’s gestapo shit.  No thanks.

What kills more than this virus with no measures to limit spread. What are some things that kill millions a year?

1 Like