LOL @ HEMA (Historical European Ma

Hi Guys,

Ok, a big thread, but I thought I'd make some comment on the pertinent points.

1) Knowledge. Yes both researching and fighting ability are needed, and as Stu points out, they are hard to find in the same person - particularly as good natural fighters have enough timing, distance and conditioning to escape the need for rigorous interpretation of technique(!). But you can find them all within a particular club, so all is not lost, and it is just the nature of the art as this stage - it's still very much in a discovery process.

2) Politics: Stu's observations are probably about right. Different aims, different approaches, and the inability to convey these verbally over the net, leads to all sorts of fireworks. But I gotta say it used to be worse!

3) Certification. Very bad idea, IMHO. A classical fencing lineage can be a useful thing for some arts, but useless for others, and no guarantee of either research or fighting ability. Same goes for EMA experience, or wrestling background, or whatever. Word of mouth within the community from people you respect is by far the best way to get a bead on who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

4) Lineage. Not as worthwhile as it may sound. One of the strengths of HWMA is that they aren’t living lineages – they were “frozen” at the moment of maximum utility, by people who actually used them. Not dishing on Classical fencers or people who do have living lineages, which certainly can preserve subtleties lost on the printed page, but equally when it comes down to it the lineage is the manual. I can, for example, talk George Silver with chaps I’ve never met on the other side of the planet, and despite differences in interpretation we are all basically doing similar things.

5) “Working from manuals: I just don't see how someone can work entirely from a manual and a hodge-podge of previous MA experience and pass themselves off as a teacher.”

Well, I’m like that, except I’ve had NO previous MA experience (!). Note that “working from manuals” doesn’t equate to “not really doing it”, and you have to realize what an incredibly rich source the European manuals are. Everything you need to know is in there somewhere, if you have the time and talent to see it (which as previously noted, isn’t particularly common)

6) “A lot of these guys feel like their research will be polluted if they hook up with mainstream combative sport, methinks.”

Exactly, and this is fair enough. Sometimes hooking up with living traditions can be really useful – but it’s a big mistake to think that there’s only one way of doing things, or that because something looks a bit like modern fencing / kendo / sport wrestling / whatever, that it actually IS the same. Often it’s not, and using alien traditions to “fill in the blanks” really can screw your understanding of stuff. What’s more useful is to do as much as you can in isolation, then see if anything out there is very similar and might be able to provide new insights.

This also depends heavily on the art in question. Can you get useful – perhaps vital – help from MMA to help figure out medieval wrestling? Of course. Can you get useful help from classical fencing for rapier? Of course! Can either help with medieval longsword? Much less so. Is kenjistsu useful for medieval longsword? Maybe, but maybe it will send you down the wrong path entirely.

7) “Without this sporting aspect there is no good way of testing practitioners.”

I agree entirely here, and am working on getting a combat sport version of backsword up and running :)

8) “I dunno Stu , i thought performance = accuracy, being able to perform the stuff at speed against non-cooperative opponents is the idea isn't it?”

I agree entirely that the historically accurate methods SHOULD be the most effective, but you also have to take into account the accuracy of bouting systems i.e. something that works fine with steel may not be so effective with boffers or shinai – and also the conditions under which the art was originally taught and practiced. A classic example would be Italian rapier, developed and taught before there were fencing masks, etc. They couldn’t practice it hammer-and-tongs they way we can, and didn’t. When you DO practice it hammer-and-tongs, it can get very messy and the “historically accurate” techniques don’t always “work”, whereas other tricks might. This is where you have to be clear as to you aim - to recreate the art as it was originally done (perfectly valid of course) or to have a full fledged performance-oriented combat sport (also perfectly valid)?

9) “I have been meaning to get a copy of Stephen Hands I33 sword and shield work”

Hey! I’m first author on that! :)

Paul

Gotta disagree on the lineage thing. I never run into anyone in Asian arts that has a living lineage that only relies on what's been handed down to authenticate what they are doing. There must be people like this out there, perhaps in kung fu especially, but I never see it. Most of the TMA I know also have a sportive component to pressure test/enforce their techniques. This includes plain ol' vanilla Shotokan and other types of karate and many classical jujitsu schools. In Japan, most of the old-skool kenjutsu teachers are also kendo authorities.

The problem I see with working from manuals sans lineage or other sportive reference or expertise is that, yeah, it was frozen at 1588 or what have you, but there's been NOTHING living between now and then to help explain it. Are you really telling me that everything you need to know about said art is in a book? What other physical art can be learned strictly from a book, even with participation and field testing? I know of none. You say it's all there, and perhaps I can look closer at them, I just have my doubts. It'd be like learning judo from a book with a bunch of willing partners - which can be done, but put that person against someone who's learned from a TEACHER and they're meat.

Again, mad props to HEMA. Just an outsider's speculation.

TFS, without naming names, what do you see as positive about the WMA community and its practices, what negative?

True, Blud. Another thing: certification. Doesn't anyone against certification see the validity in a set of curriculum standards that helps identify who has put their time in and where they stand? I mean, Mike, you're a free scholar: that's a certification, isn't it? Also, your "lineage" is ARMA, you trace your teaching back to The Clements. These are good things, it helps identify and give consistency to things, doesn't it?

"Are you really telling me that everything you need to know about said art is in a book? What other physical art can be learned strictly from a book, even with participation and field testing?"

I have my doubts about this as well. Even when I've worked long and assiduously from video (which is a more effective learning medium than books IMO,) serious gaps in my training were exposed when it came time to roll with experienced grapplers.

"If we want HEMA arts to get the respect of truly effective combative martial arts we need to prove this the same way modern arts prove it by laying it on the line in a sporting context."

I'd love to see WMAists compete in something like the Dog Brother's Gatherings of the Pack. Live blades aren't used, obviously, and maybe the padding will require some alterations in strategy. But wouldn't it be a good arena in which to test some single stick, staff, and dagger?

Hey Shoe,

Would you mind talking about Catch a little? I'm fascinated by it and much prefer wrestling under catch rules than under straight submission rules basically because it is as you say "more dynamic".

Guys,

When it comes to learning at least in part from books, Historical fencers really have no choice in the matter. Whether or not they believe they can ever reconstruct anything like the real thing is not the issue. Reconstructing from manuals is enjoyable. Full stop. That's all the matters.

It doesn't have to be right unless you claim that your interpretation is dead right. It doesn't even have to work under pressure if your primary goal is not a functional one. Not everyone (sadly if you ask me) is looking for a functional alive environment in their training and nor should they be expected to if this is not what they want.

Personally I believe that a good grounding in a relevant combat sport is a great help in interpreting a manual. It isn't necessary to have one but the practitioner needs to accept that there are likely to be large holes in his knowledge and that it will be a long road to a good skill level.

Like Mike, I have no problem with internal certification in individual schools or styles.

It's "umbrella" style certification that I have a problem with. This causes no end of trouble due to different goals even within the same style. Imagine two groups studying Fiore. One wants to emphasise the close quarter elements of dagger and wrestling to use as a method of self defence. The other wants to painfully reconstruct the art whilst wearing all the appropriate gear and whilst only using steel.
Cheers,
Stu.

“The problem I see with working from manuals sans lineage or other sportive reference or expertise is that, yeah, it was frozen at 1588 or what have you, but there's been NOTHING living between now and then to help explain it. Are you really telling me that everything you need to know about said art is in a book?”

Depends entirely upon the art, and the book. Fencing is not grappling, and lends itself to written instruction much better. A good example would be Taylor’s broadsword from 1806 – this is a military manual, specifically designed to record and teach everything important about the style to soldiers in a systematic and simple fashion. If that’s all you had, you could become a formidable fencer working just from that. I might take a lot of time, effort and experimentation, but it’s certainly possible. And by the end of the process you will be intimately familiar with the source (and probably every other relevant source you could lay your hands on), and you will be a far better teacher of the art by going through that long, hard road than if you’d just been taught it by someone else.

Now if you add in, say, classical fencing experience, you’ll have a basis to build on that might get you there faster, and understand certain nuances or details that aren’t apparent in the text, but you might also miss important details by assuming it’s like what you already know, and won’t necessarily make you a better fencer. Likewise, if you had FMA stickfighting background, you will look at Taylor and thinks you see a whole bunch of FMA techniques, quite different to what the Classical fencer thinks he sees. Neither of which might be what Taylor did. In the end this gets ironed out by getting the naïve Taylor interpretation, the Fencer’s and the FMAers, and bouting it out to see what works best. In my experience, all 3 will have something to contribute and something to learn from each other, and at the end of the day the understanding of the art will be better than it used to be.

“We can never have a truly authenticated historically accurate HEMA art because even if large community agreement is made on the interpretations it will still merely be an interpretation.”

That’s true, but it is also only important if your aim is to recreate the art exactly as it was done. If you accept this is really impossible, and want a living, breathing effective art, based as closely as possible on period sources, techniques and principles, then there is more than sufficient material there. Despite their cleverness and subtleties, at the core these systems are really pretty simple and pragmatic, and not that hard to get your head around.

“I'd love to see WMAists compete in something like the Dog Brother's Gatherings of the Pack. Live blades aren't used, obviously, and maybe the padding will require some alterations in strategy. But wouldn't it be a good arena in which to test some single stick, staff, and dagger?”

I think you’ll find a lot of WMA practitioners already do this kind of thing as often as they can. I certainly make a habit of bouting EMAers whenever I get the chance.

“Reconstructing from manuals is enjoyable. Full stop.”

I’d add enlightening too.

“It's "umbrella" style certification that I have a problem with.”

Me too. And at this stage or WMA research it’s quite unnecessary, as long as people are honest about what they are doing. We need the bookish reconstructionists as much as we need the hammer-and-tongs performance testers.

Paul

Ogami,

TFS, without naming names, what do you see as positive about the WMA community and its practices, what negative?

Please allow me to ponder a bit on your question, before answering.

Thanks,

TFS

Hey Ogami,

Talking about the whole community in one go is as difficult with Western Martial Arts as it is with Asian Martial Arts.

Are you actually asking about the Historical Swordplay people?

Personally, I think that providing you are honest about what you do and about your background, I find it hard to find anything negative about the practice of Historical Swordplay.

HES teaches you to rely on yourself rather than someone else in your practice. It has helped me to make the transition to a more improvisational form of martial art in RMAX and to stop thinking in terms of rote technique.
Cheers,
Stu

Well, I guess I don't really know how to differentiate, Stu. Lurking at SFI, as I have for a few years now, I often get lost in the sheer amount of info on the forums.

Thanks, man, I'll print it out and read it later.

Ogami,

You have made some very good observations in your first post and I agree with them. It basically sums up the majority of the HEMA movement today.

I agree witth the fencing backround, and I also think that a wrestling/judo/BJJ/etc backround is necessary for the grappling interpretation. Unfortunately, most HEMA people seem to disagree with me. I still stand by my opinion, though.

No one will ever know how close to the real thing their reconstruction is. Everyone is a student. It is the underlying "assumed expertise" and arrogance behind some HEMA instructors (who may have good intentions) that bothers me.

However, the HEMA movement has grown, and there is still some pretty good stuff out there. Also, as a result, more old manuals are availabe and we are becoming more aware of Europe's past martial traditions.

Good post, YOL.

Thanks.