Long Distance Half Guard (Aesopian)

I know this has been around a little while, but it is some really great stuff, especially for guys like me that get stuck in half or consistently play a deep half, this is a nice look at other options...and it's great to revisit.

LDHG/DHG

http://www.aesopian.com/194/long-distance-and-deep-half-guard/

LDHG Pass Prevention

www.aesopian.com/195/pass-prevention-ldhgdhg/

Getting Underneath

www.aesopian.com/196/getting-underneath-ldhgdhg/

Versus Standing Opponent

www.aesopian.com/197/versus-standing-ldhgdhg/

Trog's Sweeps

www.aesopian.com/198/trogs-sweeps-ldhgdhg/

Important Concepts

www.aesopian.com/199/important-concepts-ldhgdhg/

LDHG in Photos

www.aesopian.com/200/ldhgdhg-in-photos/

It's alot of material but very much worth the time. Enjoy! Again!

TTT

ttt

Aesopian is the best BJJ blogger around.

^^^ True.

Chango

I enjoyed playing this position, but the knee-through (Margarida) pass is a huge threat from here, don't you think?

I know, atleast from the opposite side, it is much easier for me to use a margarida pass on someone with standard halg guard, mainly because I am allowed to move my legs and hips more freely, with this ldhg (when done right) the guy on tops base is constantly disrupted and you are controlling/working with the position of both his legs as well as his shoulders/arms and the key to using it well is keeping the distance.  Your top leg knee is constantly pressuring his hips while the underhooked leg is pulling him in if you keep that knee glued to his hip he cannot pass the knee....

If you allow him to smash you down flat and lay on you then the ldhg is lost and you end up in a traditional half guard battle, which I hate.

Either way, I would love to hear someone of higher rank weigh in on the benefits/shortcoming of the position as alas I am but a lowly blue belt.

Edit: the reason I turned to this LDHG is becuase I was constantly playing the deep half guard game with the typical lockdown and underhook/electric chair type sweeps..over and over. And this game forces to you play out more and you have more room, which is exactly what the guy on top does not want.  

TalkShowOnMute - 
Edit: the reason I turned to this LDHG is becuase I was constantly playing the deep half guard game with the typical lockdown and underhook/electric chair type sweeps..over and over. And this game forces to you play out more and you have more room, which is exactly what the guy on top does not want.  

The game you are describing sounds more like Bravo-type half guard. When you hear people talk about the "deep half" they mostly talk about a very different position that does not utilize the lockdown...

The Gimp - 
TalkShowOnMute - 

The game you are describing sounds more like Bravo-type half guard. When you hear people talk about the "deep half" they mostly talk about a very different position that does not utilize the lockdown...

Yeah, I don't really understand the Bravo half guard persay, and mix the lockdown with the standard half guard figure 4 leg positions, depending on which feels more comfortable at the time...no real style or set idea I guess..usually I'm just trying to figure out how to get out...and I either get in deep lock down and sweep under..or I hip out figure 4..and try to pendulum sweep.

It got repetitive and I found myself doing the same 3 or 4 things before...and now when I work with more distance alot more opens up. And I don't feel as smashed for sure.but more than anything the hips are more mobile which makes any explosive moves easier. :)

ttt

everything on www.aesopian.com is great. Great blog great teacher

TTT

ttt...

ttt

cool stuff.