Long hair in MMA.

I'm fairly certain there have been several threads on this before but I'd like to talk on it a bit.

Long hair has become the trademark of a few fighters in the UFC (e.g. Clay Guida, Ben Henderson, (until recently) Urijah Faber) but what is the benefit of this style other then maybe the *remember the name* effect it has?

Watching Mike Rio in his TUF tryout continually having to move his hair out of his eyes to see punches coming really freaked me out (he ate some shots thanks to it and may not have had to with clear vision). Solutions to this have been displayed by Benson and Urijah in the form of a ponytail and cornrows (respectively), and i think fighters should get smart and cut their hair.  The only time i've seen this come to an advantage was Guida not losing via Doc stoppage in the Florian fight (that he lost anyways).

So UG, what do you guys think of long hair? Does it impair the fighter? Is it harder to escape chokes? Is it anything more than a marketing tactic? Do I use too many brackets?

I have medium length hair and have had long hair in the past, I have no idea how Guida manages to fight professional MMA let alone in the UFC with hair like that

I didn't really train much when I had long hair but even playing soccer with it was annoying I couldn't imagine fighting with it, actually easier to get out of chokes and headlocks, when an opponent squeezes your head they kind of squeeze your hair and your head moves around more freely than a baldy.

probably a bit of a marketing tactic but also they probably just prefer having long hair or looking a bit different from the crowd

If you notice long haired fighters like bendo and guida slip out of chokes alot easier than there short hair counter parts.. Phone Post

I have always trained and fought with long hair. Of course, I keep my hair when I train, and when I have fought, I bound my hair up with 10 pony tail holders and had it slicked back with hair gel.

How Guida fights with his hair down is a mystery to me.

WuDaddy -  If you notice long haired fighters like bendo and guida slip out of chokes alot easier than there short hair counter parts.. Phone Post

ah so contrary to joe rogan's commentary in every single Guida fight, its easier.  that makes some sense i suppose

See James Warring vs. Erik Paulson in WCC