Longest break you've taken from training?

Whether it's injuries, or just life stuff. What's the longest time you've spent away from training.

For me, I trained for a year. Got my blue belt in 2008 and then blue belt syndrome/school and work getting in the way, my training became less and less frequent. It's been almost 6 years now! But I'm thinking about finally getting back on the mat.

Anyway. Let's hear your stories.

4 months while i figured out that MS doesn't immediately kill you or cripple you.

Injury wise..1 month because i popped my rib.

I don't train a lot these days at least not as much as i used to, but i'm pretty consistent getting in at least 1x a week.

Took a few years off, came back in August and looking to drop the 30lbs since i last trained.

6 months while deployed overseas. Actually felt great for the body to heal up old injuries. Phone Post 3.0

groundfighter2000 - Whether it's injuries, or just life stuff. What's the longest time you've spent away from training.

For me, I trained for a year. Got my blue belt in 2008 and then blue belt syndrome/school and work getting in the way, my training became less and less frequent. It's been almost 6 years now! But I'm thinking about finally getting back on the mat.

Anyway. Let's hear your stories.

You're the first person I've heard with a near identical story to mine.

I took my first few months of BJJ back in law school in 2005.  Moved after graduation and picked up again for about a year-and-a-half or so, and got my blue belt.  Within a month or two, my wife was pregnant, I had a new job, and we moved again.

BJJ was something "I'd get back to." 

Five years, 30 pounds, and three kids later, I was walking down the street to go to lunch and walked past a new Royce affiliate that had opened up a few blocks from where I work.  They had classes every night right around the time that I got off of work.  Feeling pathetic, I signed up and started going three times per week.  I had to excuse myself after the first two rolls in my new class to step outside a vomit in the planter.

That was a year ago, and I've been back ever since. 

Currently on the only break I've ever taken. Getting pretty close to a month.

Been doing bjj for a little under 3-years.

a short while after i got my purple my morale at the school i was training at plummeted and really fucked up my passion for jiujitsu. i took time off then life got in the way with a family member getting sick. so i was off the mats for about 2 years or a little over. coming back was a nightmare. and it honestly took me a year or so to feel "comfortable." more than the physical elements, mentally i wasnt the same. i had lost the ability to pull the trigger. thankfully i recovered that after a long time. mentally my priorities shifted a lot during my time away from the mats and its still not the same. blah blah blah i eventually found a new school and i got my black belt at least.

i did train some muay thai though during my time off from bjj. i loved it.

First lesson in 2001. Trained a few times between then and 2005 just mucking about (probably had 12-18mths worth of training over that period)

Came back earlier this year to make a proper go at training this time after 8 years (got injured in a comp in August though lol and am almost at the end of my rehab from the resulting surgery. Old man problems.......) Stayed close to the club through the rehab though so am raring to go back.

Only good thing about taking a break from bjj is that your body stops hurting.

6 months. Back pain Phone Post 3.0

Almost one year because of a injury on my hips (2000)...Bad doctor saying that it would be fixed after some rest. Rested and nothing then surgery total of a year.

Second (2009)Surgery was on my shoulder and only 4 months out!

I hope that would help someone have an idea.

8 weeks due to meniscus surgery....other than that never had more than 2 weeks for family vacation out of country

2 knee surgeries in 1 year. Trained maybe 15 times the whole year. Phone Post 3.0

One year due to knee surgery. Phone Post 3.0

2003 Tib/Fib Compound fracture (bones popped out of leg)Had to re-learn how to walk. Stopped training for 5 years and just surfed.