Looking back on UFC 46 - Stacked card!

I was at UFC 46, and I don't know if I really appreciated how stacked this card was. Having all these guys in one place (plus a few others on hand for autograph signing like Chuck Liddel, Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman, etc...) was really a fan's event. Glad I got to meet so many legends.

Match Winner Loser Method Round Time

1 Matt Serra Jeff Curran Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00

2 Josh Thomson Hermes Franca Decision (Majority) 3 5:00

3 Georges St. Pierre Karo Parisyan Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00

4 Lee Murray Jorge Rivera Submission (Triangle Armbar) 1 1:45

5 Frank Mir Wes Sims KO (Punches) 2 4:21

6 Renato Verissimo Carlos Newton Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00

7 B.J. Penn Matt Hughes Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) 1 4:39

8 Vitor Belfort Randy Couture TKO (Cut) 1 0:49

seriously? 120 views and no one agrees?

Let me help you. Here are some notable facts about UFC 46:

- Vitor Belfort's sister Priscilla was still missing at the time, but he fought anyway. Priscilla was later found dead inside a barrel

- This was the last state-side appearance for securities fraud master-mind Lee Murray

- GSP was still considered too "vanilla" to be accepted by American fans, let alone head-line an event

- If Karo had asked "do you know who I am, bro?" back at the time, the likely answer would have been a sincere "no."

- Matt Serra's fight was on the undercard with about 400 people having arrived at that point to watch it. That seems laughable now.

- Wes Sims' dad was actually the life of the after-party

- Dana White had hair

- Last but certainly not least, this was the first time the UFC held an event on a Saturday

I only got to see the recording but it was indeed an awesome card and a great event.

Cool story bro Phone Post

UFC 46 was probably the second UFC I actually watched all the way through. I saw some of the older ones growing up at a cousins house but was too young to care.

Twostep - UFC 46 was probably the second UFC I actually watched all the way through. I saw some of the older ones growing up at a cousins house but was too young to care.

Pretty cool, man. Most people would be like, "I have been watching 'ultimate fighting' since Vale Tudo in Brazil back in 1976...."

The amount of money that it would take to pay that same roster to put on another show is almost mind bottling.

I have been watching the ultimate fighter champions since Vale Tudo in Brasil back in 1976.

Verrisimo over Newton really hurt me

I won 20 on the BJ fight

Lee Murray callin out Tito

The only time I've ever rooted for Mir, and he delivered triumphantly

and then

the anti-climactic main event

sparkuri -  Verrisimo over Newton really hurt me
I won 20 on the BJ fight
Lee Murray callin out Tito
The only time I've ever rooted for Mir, and he delivered triumphantly
and then

the anti-climatic main event<br type="_moz" />

yeah, no shit to the main event being a let down.

This is also when they were running like 5 shows a year.

I read the list of matches 2 or 3 times before I realized I actually attended that event. Wow, that was a long time ago.

stevekt - I read the list of matches 2 or 3 times before I realized I actually attended that event. Wow, that was a long time ago.

lol

it does seem like forever ago.

this is back when the most expensive seats were $350

Found it!

One of the first I ordered live. The first being Ken vs Tito

Awesome show, one of my all time favorites, also the first "Super Saturday" show if I recall correctly.

I remember being thoroughly impressed with how Charuto completely shut Newton down. Good card

UFC 46 was pretty cool, but the bogus outcome of the main event kind of ruined
it. UFC 47, however, was awesome from top to bottom (Except for Jonathan Wiezorek and
Wade Shipp, which was quite possibly one of the worst fights in modern UFC
history).

I remember that card.  8 out of 16 of those fighters are current or former UFC champs - pretty cool.

I believe this card had the announcement for Tito vs Chuck. They both came into the octagon and Chuck says "If he tries to stand with me I will knock him out, and he knows it."