Looking back on UFC 46 - Stacked card!

I was there live.

LOL'd when Lee triangled Jorge.........

butcher4 - This is also when they were running like 5 shows a year.

And losing money pretty much on each of those 5 shows a year.

for sure one of the best events in UFC history.

"- GSP was still considered too "vanilla" to be accepted by American fans, let alone head-line an event"

Thought Karo was GSP's debut?

stevekt - I believe this card had the announcement for Tito vs Chuck. They both came into the octagon and Chuck says "If he tries to stand with me I will knock him out, and he knows it."

You are correct. And I almost forgot one of the most awesome things. Chuck Norris was in attendance!

HELWIG - "- GSP was still considered too "vanilla" to be accepted by American fans, let alone head-line an event"

Thought Karo was GSP's debut?<br type="_moz" />

you're right.

got my timeline confused.

That fact that it was GSP's debut makes it that much more epic

sparkuri -  

the anti-climatic main event

So it didn't rain?

The Last Emperor - 
sparkuri -  

the anti-climatic main event

So it didn't rain?

That's correct. It had nothing on KOTC Wet and Wild

slo ko - seriously? 120 views and no one agrees?

Let me help you. Here are some notable facts about UFC 46:

- Vitor Belfort's sister Priscilla was still missing at the time, but he fought anyway. Priscilla was later found dead inside a barrel

- This was the last state-side appearance for securities fraud master-mind Lee Murray

- GSP was still considered too "vanilla" to be accepted by American fans, let alone head-line an event

- If Karo had asked "do you know who I am, bro?" back at the time, the likely answer would have been a sincere "no."

- Matt Serra's fight was on the undercard with about 400 people having arrived at that point to watch it. That seems laughable now.

- Wes Sims' dad was actually the life of the after-party

- Dana White had hair

- Last but certainly not least, this was the first time the UFC held an event on a Saturday
Now that is a ton of cool shit...some of which I knew, some of it I didn't

I have a ripped copy of this event. Awesome.

Mir finishing Wes after Rogan says hes gassed as he looks up at the clock, BJ finishing Hughes and kissing him afterwards.

Lee Murray and GSPs UFC debut and Tito saying Murray is a deadman!

Also if you watch Carlos's entrance you will see a very young Mark Bocek before he had fought MMA at that time!

PJ Benn Fan - I have a ripped copy of this event. Awesome.
Mir finishing Wes after Rogan says hes gassed as he looks up at the clock, BJ finishing Hughes and kissing him afterwards.
Lee Murray and GSPs UFC debut and Tito saying Murray is a deadman!

Also if you watch Carlos's entrance you will see a very young Mark Bocek before he had fought MMA at that time!

That's cool. I like watching old events because you see guys during the walk-in who become UFC fighters later.

I was at this event as well. I had bets on Randy, Hughes and (thanks to an insider tip from ricco Rodriguez) Simms..... Not a good night gambling wise. It felt even worse when Randy destroyed him in the rematch.

Interesting notes:

Gsp had recently beat Pete Spratt In canada and took spratts place against karo. When gsp came out the guys in front of me were talking about how karo was going to "run through this kid". The rest is history. I believe that was gsp's debut in the ufc.

It great remembering these old events. I am fortunate to be able to say that I was at a pride event In japan back in the day. It was the one where belfort fought herring and lidell knocked out metzger. In yokohama

On that note the ufc was already blowing up by then. I paid 100 for my ticket and the place was sold out. I was at barnett/couture a couple of years earlier at the MGM. I paid 30 and the place was half empty.

This was an awesome card. I'd loved it.

This is also why I fucking HATE Dana and Lorenzo...

because they have the cash and the fighters to make every card like this.......but they don't..................

albertiavarone - On that note the ufc was already blowing up by then. I paid 100 for my ticket and the place was sold out. I was at barnett/couture a couple of years earlier at the MGM. I paid 30 and the place was half empty.

OH YEAH! I actually remember the $30 nosebleed ticket days. Damn. Wasn't it something like $30, $75, $150 and $350 back then? And the $350 was ringside.

Barnett/Couture was UFC 36 - another sick card when you look back:

Barnett/Couture
Hughes/Sakurai
Rizzo/Arvolski
Militech/Lindland
Mir/Williams

I went to 36 also but don't have the ticket stub. It was my first live UFC.

UFC 35 was also a great card. Sylvia vs Cabbage was actually an awesome fight to be there live, the crowd was going wild.

i miss the old live shows, I don't go anymore because its just a crowded mess of Tapout and Affliction shirts.