Looking for AR (beginner here) under 1200

Right now I have my eyes on a Saint (SA) because I have an xdm .45.

I don’t know a whole lot about guns, educate me please.

Am I about to make a yuuuuuge mistake? Decent purchase? ($960)

2 Likes

What are you planning to use it for: plinking? home defense? just for having?

1 Like

S&W M&P.

8 Likes

No idea what plinking is.

Home defense

Zombie apocalypse

Coyotes

Range time

2 Likes

plinking = various kinds of target shooting.

given your proposed uses, i would suggest you save some money for an optic of some kind (like a red dot + magnifier or a variable low powered optic)

2 Likes

At 1200 you can basically get a BCM

2 Likes

Use cash, preferably at a show

5 Likes

I probably wouldn’t spend more that $700or so on your first AR. Just buy an S&W or similar, slap a red dot on it and have fun. Once you really get familiar with the platform then spend some coin building a really nice one.

3 Likes

This.

Go to the closest gun shops and see what they have on the shelf. The bigger ones will probably have something for $800.

Spend another $200 on an optic and $200 on ammo and call it a day.

2 Likes

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

1 Like

I just spent $10 to get into a shit gun show. Fuck that.

Already planning on getting holosun green dot

2 Likes
4 Likes

For $1200 do this.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-w-mbus-sight-set3.html

Good call on the Holosun. Pretty good sight for the price. Use the remaining $300 and buy ammo. The PSA rifles shoot great and more than likey you aren’t a good enough shot for it to make sense buying one of the more expensive guns.

1 Like

PSA isn’t a bad option either. I built an AR9 out of parts I bought on the cheap during black friday. It runs nice.

I have a Saint Victor that I’ve been very happy with but all of the other recommendations on this thread are good too, and cheaper.

Here’s a current review for an IMI Zion for around $700.

Fuck Springfield Armory.

If you have to get a PSA from their website, make sure to use a one time use number from your bank or a prepaid card. A lot of people have had a lot of trouble with identity theft after buying from PSA’s website.

1 Like

I would just buy an S&W15 with the Holosun green dot and call it. Spend the rest on ammo as others have said.

3 Likes

S&W > SA, all day

While you’re, upgrade from your XD. If budget is important, SD9VE and Apex trigger will be less than the XD and a step or few up. M&P is another step up, as is Glock

3 Likes

If you can follow directions to build Ikea furniture, just build your own. Build the lower (stripped lower, lower parts kit, buffer tube kit, trigger, grip, stock) and buy a completed upper separately. Half the fun is customising it to make it your own.

Staying under 1200 is hard if we’re including stuff like proper metal iron sights, optics, sling, a light etc.

3 Likes