looking into military reserves, TMA/TME

anyone here in or familiar with the reserves? anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. rather hear it from you normal folk than a military recruiter who will tell you anything to get you to sign up. Phone Post 3.0

viorage - Great federal job opportunities if you do. Phone Post 3.0

This

Many federal government jobs on usajobs.gov offer positions with the condition of Guard/Reserve service. At least if you're located near a military installation.

If possible, go for something military intelligence related, as you'll get a top notch security clearance

Wylong06 - anyone here in or familiar with the reserves? anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. rather hear it from you normal folk than a military recruiter who will tell you anything to get you to sign up. Phone Post 3.0

Have you done any active duty time before? What do you do now? Do you have a 4 year degree? How old are you? What region of the US do you live?

DaveFu -
Wylong06 - anyone here in or familiar with the reserves? anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. rather hear it from you normal folk than a military recruiter who will tell you anything to get you to sign up. Phone Post 3.0

Have you done any active duty time before? What do you do now? Do you have a 4 year degree? How old are you? What region of the US do you live?
I have not done active duty, but I have a kid on the way so I don't really wanna go away for that long. do not have a 4 year degree, but I'm looking into going back. I'm 23 from western pa. and I'm just a laborer at the moment. Phone Post 3.0

viorage - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -

This

Many federal government jobs on usajobs.gov offer positions with the condition of Guard/Reserve service. At least if you're located near a military installation.

If possible, go for something military intelligence related, as you'll get a top notch security clearance
That's my dream Phone Post 3.0

Hope you get in... that would rock!

I could never understand the appeal of the reserves unless you're old and have a family. Being out in the fleet is all the fun. Plus, you could be activated as a reservist anyways. Phone Post 3.0

viorage - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -

This

That's my dream Phone Post 3.0

Honestly, apply to as many of these jobs as possible

Also look into NAFJOBS.org

Reserves should not be an option for someone without several years active duty experience and at least 1 deployment. Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_REMEMBER MY NAME - GO AIR FORCE. Phone Post 3.0
that's what I was looking into. do you have any info on benefits, how long is training, etc? Phone Post 3.0

I have been in the reserve 12 years as both an enlisted Marine and now an air force officer. I have deployed with both. I can answer any question you may have. The reserve can be the greatest opportunity of your life, as long as you understand what's involved. Phone Post 3.0

Well I can tell you that you're least likely to be called up if you go Navy.

The reserves are great because you get about 75% of the benefits while only putting up with 20% of the bullshit.

If they take you, you're going to have to go to your boot camp and schooling out of town and that can take upwards of 6 months. You'll be getting your active duty military base pay during that time. Are you married?

I would strongly advise that you learn what it takes to get in as an E-3 if you're going to go enlisted. It usually doesn't take much. Working two months to get that on the outside is better than spending 9 to 16 inside trying to accomplish the same thing.

The reserves have their own recruiters and 90% of active duty sailors don't know a damn thing about the reserves.

This is the main line for NOSC (Naval Reserve Center) Pittsburgh. Ask to speak to the recruiter or "NC" there. They should have one.

(412) 776-4000

P.S. NOTHING is true until it is in writing with your signature on it.

I did 7 years in the Navy reserves so I can only speak about my branch and I wouldn't pretend to know anything about the other ones.

do you guys recommend getting a bachelors degree before joining?

also how big of a factor do your medical records play? lets say adhd and anxiety listed previously?

Claw Hand - I have been in the reserve 12 years as both an enlisted Marine and now an air force officer. I have deployed with both. I can answer any question you may have. The reserve can be the greatest opportunity of your life, as long as you understand what's involved. Phone Post 3.0
how long did you have boot camp or whatever it's called? Phone Post 3.0

Acidic - do you guys recommend getting a bachelors degree before joining?

also how big of a factor do your medical records play? lets say adhd and anxiety listed previously?

ALWAYS go officer if it is in reach. Start out as a have, not a have not. 

Uhhhh, they can't readily access your records, I wouldn't necessarily volunteer that information. If you give them a reason to disqualify you, they probably will.  And even if you do get in, it will make getting an incredibly valuable security clearance near impossible. 

95% of the time, the military is looking to punish the stupid, not necessarily the guilty. 

Navy boot camp is 9 weeks or so. I think Marines is 12. Then you have your initial job training which can be 2-4+ months.

1800champagne - I could never understand the appeal of the reserves unless you're old and have a family. Being out in the fleet is all the fun. Plus, you could be activated as a reservist anyways. Phone Post 3.0
It paid my way through undergrad. Full time student while in the reserves; it was fantastic. Phone Post 3.0

DaveFu - 
Acidic - do you guys recommend getting a bachelors degree before joining?

ALWAYS go officer if it is in reach. Start out as a have, not a have not. 

Uhhhh, they can't readily access your records, I wouldn't necessarily volunteer that information. If you give them a reason to disqualify you, they probably will.  And even if you do get in, it will make getting an incredibly valuable security clearance near impossible. 

95% of the time, the military is looking to punish the stupid, not necessarily the guilty. 

I have 55 community college credits and shit I'm leaning towards it since I can find much to do with a bachelors.

Thanks for the info. I think ill just release as little information as possible then if & when it comes down to it.

1800champagne - I could never understand the appeal of the reserves unless you're old and have a family. Being out in the fleet is all the fun. Plus, you could be activated as a reservist anyways. Phone Post 3.0

Unless you're in Norfolk, or doing an insurv, or have liberty secured m-f and 3 section duty because your 40 year old rust bucket can't pass inspections and then a department head kills himself. Then it can just suck ass.

4.5 years at sea on a coed ship with about 2 years of that deployed has made going on a damn Carnival cruise seem like the dumbest vacation idea ever.

Curtis_E_Bare -
1800champagne - I could never understand the appeal of the reserves unless you're old and have a family. Being out in the fleet is all the fun. Plus, you could be activated as a reservist anyways. Phone Post 3.0
It paid my way through undergrad. Full time student while in the reserves; it was fantastic. Phone Post 3.0
can you explain how this worked? Phone Post 3.0

1800champagne - Reserves should not be an option for someone without several years active duty experience and at least 1 deployment. Phone Post 3.0

isn't that the point of reserves, so you don't have to do active duty? Yes, you still have the risk of getting deployed