Lost Student To Cancer :(

very sad!

Rest in Peace

R.I.P Double H

SAD....GB RIP JASON

Sad, RIP. Cancer sucks,

Thanks for the support. I will also try to pass on some of the kind words of this thread to family/friends.

Also, I understand there is a lot of information on myspace about Jason from the people that supported him through this ordeal. I don't myspace so I can't pass along a link but if someone who is smarter then I am wants to post information, there might be some people who are interested.

My condolences.
Life is definitely short and we should all
remember to set aside our differences and
appreciate eachother before our time comes.
RIP

that really sucks...

i cant think of a better way to put it, very sad.

RIP

Tosh,

What is the zip code where he lived?  With that I can get his Myspace URL for everyone.  If you think that would be ok.

RIP

Reading this brought tears to my eyes.

RIP

tosh nice to hear that you are keeping his memory alive, cancer is a bitch. tosh please email me and i would like to make some sort of a donation to the family. my father died of cancer and we had many people that were good to us and i would like to pass that on. patrick @ ground and pound. email pjbodoh@yahoo.com

http://www.myspace.com/speakersforthedead

Here is Jason's band. They had recently gotten a record deal and were setting off on a U.S. tour. He'll be missed.

RIP

RIP

RIP Jason.

RIP Jason, Keep him in your prayers please! A true representative of the sport. Wanted to practice the sort more than anything.

That is true passion! He's a hero to us all!

Kyo

dying sucks, the best you can hope for is to leave a mark and Jason very much did so.  Keep his memory alive.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. 

to damn young to die.  lm

Rosanne Garcia sat in her son's bedroom on Wednesday morning, rocking back and forth in his chair, looking at his pictures, his bed and eventually stopping at his Bible.
"Why, mom? Why me?" she remembered her son Jason asking a few weeks back.

"I don't know," she told him. "We just have to keep our eyes on Jesus and know that he's going to take care of us."

Jason Garcia, 31, guitarist for local rock band Speakers for the Dead, died early Tuesday morning after fighting cancer for more than a year.

"He just stopped breathing," his mother said. "He was asleep. That was it. He just left."

On Wednesday, it was just his mother in his bedroom, rocking back and forth, looking at that Bible, looking for peace of mind.

"His spirit has left, and by left I mean left that body that was so weak. The Lord has restored him. That's my way of knowing he's not in pain. His whole spirit is alive. It's complete. It's healthy," she said.

There will be a funeral Mass at 9 a.m. Friday at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 2240 N. Cedar Ave., then burial at St. Peter's Cemetery, 264 N. Blythe Ave. A reception will follow at noon at Pilgrim Armenian Church, 3673 N. First St.

Garcia's cancer fight started in February 2005, when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer.

It didn't make sense. Garcia was training to become a cage fighter. He was a freak about eating healthy. He was dedicated. In the Fresno music scene, he was known as the guy who practiced on his guitar for eight hours a day.

Garcia had surgery, and doctors said everything would be fine. But by November 2005, the cancer was back.

Just two months before that, Speakers for the Dead signed with Magna Carta Records, home to such acts as David Lee Roth, and the band was finishing up its first CD for the label.

Between chemotherapy and radiation, Garcia eventually finished his guitar solos -- the final pieces the CD needed before it went to press -- even though his band mates had to, at one point, carry him into the studio and set up a bucket next to him, because he was so sick.

"Cancer, it crushes everything about your spirit and your physical being," said Curtis Shamlin, the band's vocalist and Garcia's friend dating back to when they were both in the band Gryp together. "But in Garcia's case, it never crushed his spirit."

Eventually, Garcia traveled to Indiana to be treated by renowned cancer fighter Dr. Larry Einhorn, who treated champion bicyclist Lance Armstrong for cancer. It took six rigorous weeks (most of which was chronicled at www.jasongarcia.org), cost about $200,000 and put Garcia's mother into debt probably for the rest of her life, but Jason returned home in August with his cancer seemingly under control.

But within weeks, Garcia was back in the hospital. After suffering a seizure, he turned to his longtime girlfriend, Denise Rempel, on their way to the hospital and asked, "Is this it?"

"You know, maybe God just wants you to play guitar in his band," Rempel says she told him.

Recently, Garcia's condition had gone up and down. Sometimes he was hopeful that his cancer could be cured. Other times he was frustrated with the toll it was taking on his body.

Last month, he played his final gig with Speakers. He couldn't stand up to do it.

Soon, he was having trouble walking. Slowly, his body was deteriorating.

But one day a few weeks ago, his older brother, Joel, heard guitar sounds coming from Garcia's room. Joel peeked in to see his 7-month-old son, Kaiden, sitting on his brother's bed as Garcia strummed his guitar.

Garcia set his guitar on the bed and Kaiden tried to mimic his uncle.

"That just made Jason smile so much," Joel said, his voice starting to quiver. "I didn't have the camera to take a picture. I told him, 'Next time.' That was the last time I got to see him play the guitar."

Not long after that, Garcia wanted to be baptized. So his mother, brother and a friend helped him into a church one Sunday and he was baptized.

Maybe it was a sign that Garcia knew what was coming. Or maybe it was his way of starting his battle with cancer anew.

He never really said.

"Regardless of how much support you have, you can only suffer for so long," Rempel says. "I know, know for certain, that he's playing the 1976 Les Paul gold top with humbucker pick-up. We always joked that when he was playing in God's band that guitar would be the first thing that God gave him."