Louisville to Nashville

The wife has a work conference in Nashville next week so we are going to break up the drive down by stopping in Kentucky for a few days. We want to spend two nights in Louisville before heading south towards Nashville. The plan is to spend one night somewhere in between and explore on Wednesday before the conference starts Wednesday evening.  Is anyone familiar with the area and have any suggestions for what to do?  We will have our two sons who are 7 and 3 years old. Thanks in advance. 

I live here. What are you trying to do?

Find a place to spend the night in between the two cuties. We were thinking about mammoth cave and the Jim bean distillery on Tuesday and making our way towards Nashville Wednesday. We are up for anything. 

They are only 2 hours apart...there isn't a ton in between.  Bowling Green has a Corvette museum.  Lots of bourbon options around Louisville...

Tour the Corvette plant and go to the museum. 

Try not to drown. Been raining for like six months. 

1 Like

Staying in downtown Louisville shiouldnf be that expensive and if you’re into bourbon, Michter’s, Old Forester and Evan Williams all have nice tours in downtown Louisville. All of them are much better than Beam, Makers, etc.

Good wise there are a lot of options. If you want barbecue and sample too bourbon at a reasonable price Merle’s is the place. It’s on Main Street downtown.

I have other recommendations for food depending on price range.

Every cave you'd ever want to visit is between the two towns. Some nice parks if you get off on geology. Once you get to Nashville, the Tennessee State museum is good for a quick walkthrough, high dollar exhibits that are pretty impressive if a little shallow. Princes Hot Chicken is my preference for the local delicacy.

That's a nerd who doesn't drink or square dances impression after a waterlogged 2 months in the area. Probably only got another weekend or two left, so interested to see what the locals suggest.

Timbobase - Staying in downtown Louisville shiouldnf be that expensive and if you’re into bourbon, Michter’s, Old Forester and Evan Williams all have nice tours in downtown Louisville. All of them are much better than Beam, Makers, etc.

Good wise there are a lot of options. If you want barbecue and sample too bourbon at a reasonable price Merle’s is the place. It’s on Main Street downtown.

I have other recommendations for food depending on price range.

We will be staying in downtown Louisville for at least two nights and I do enjoy bourbon. 

We go to her work conference once a year in a different state and like to check out any neat local restaurants including bbq and anything else. I’d like to keep the prices reasonable but if there is somewhere that we need to go I am open. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming if you can. 

Louisville Slugger factory tour

Drop the wife off at my house for a couple hours,  and take your kids to chucky cheese. 

Win-win-win for everyone 

Doc Crow’s is a solid place to eat that is affordable. Great oysters and barbecue.

You have your touristy places to visit like the Ali Museum and Louisville Skugger. Both are worth saying you went.

If you like an upscale meal Jeff Ruby’s is very good. On the seafood side Seviche is awesome. On the pasta side Volare is the best.

The bars closer to the Yum Center are better than those on 4th street. Bardstown road also has some good pub style places.

If you have any questions just shoot me a message.

vv

my advice is to leave the 2 kids at home and have a blast!

there are some good places in Louisville… ( although the name of the area escapes me now )

but nashville is awesome… popping into the honkey tonks for cheap beer and live music then over to rippys for BBQ while parades of bachelorettes roll by looking to party… its vegas without all the expense

I actually did this a few weeks ago. Michters is temp closed, Evan Williams was cool. Go to Justin’s House of Bourbon and try some rare bottles. Louisville Slugger Museum was cool, went to minor league baseball game and Churchill Downs for races. LOTS of meth/heroin addict looking homeless people wandering downtown. Been to Ali museum before and it was awesome. Go to Brown Hotel for a Hot Brown, so good. Lots to do there, rained the entire time too.

I live here. Work downtown. The Brown Restaurant was closed last time I checked.

Ali, Frazier and Slugger museum are all cool.

If you’re into bourbon, go early morning to the Heaven Hill heritage center in Bardstown.

If you don’t mind driving a bit head to Huber’s in Indiana. If you have kids, strawberry picking is fun and they’re good. And Huber’s has criminally underrated bourbon and decent other drinks.