Love me some Maia

Just finished watching Maia put on a clinic against a red hot Neil Magny. Beautiful to see how far his wrestling has come. No issue getting Magny down and worked non stop to improve his position. Never rested never stopped. Almost had the armbar at the end of the first. Then in the second worked hard to get the back and finished a nice RNC over the chin.

Yep. Love watching him and jacare. Phone Post 3.0

Yup Phone Post 3.0

That was awesome. Maia's takedowns and top control are just unbelievable to watch. Phone Post 3.0

He seems to pin the hips with his head when passing or uses it to drive to half-guard.

I'd love to see a Bjjscout video on Maia's passing in mma. Loads of material to work with.

It's like watching Picasso paint... Amazing technique Phone Post 3.0

I got way too excited during that fight. Maia used my favorite half guard pass repeatedly and its always cool to see the same techniques done by guys at the highest level.

Glad he's back on track. He had a really rough run for a while. Phone Post 3.0

Stubjj844 - He seems to pin the hips with his head when passing or uses it to drive to half-guard.

I'd love to see a Bjjscout video on Maia's passing in mma. Loads of material to work with.
Look up "BJ Penn MMA guard passing" on YouTube. Same sort of idea from top. Phone Post 3.0

Takedowns looked so sharp. Fingers crossed for another title run. Phone Post 3.0

but but.. maia is a sport jiujitsu guy? Phone Post 3.0

That was definitely my favorite match of the night. I love this version of Maia. In the middle there he seemed to have lost himself a bit but it seems he's back.

I love his homage to BJJ as well. Definitely struck a chord with me :)

Maia fought a great fight and was always ahead with all his transitions. It seemed like he was almost playing with the guy. His win was impressive but after the fight I was thinking about Rickson vs. Funaki in comparsion to Maias fight. What really stunned me how different Rickson fought. Not much movements not alowing him to go else where great control and brutal punches. Not taking anything away from Maia but I was really thinking of how different Ricksons approach is to MMA than most other BJJ guys.....

I had no idea he was fighting in UFC 190. I checked the fight card and he wasn't listed. Was he a late replacement??

HotSteppa - I had no idea he was fighting in UFC 190. I checked the fight card and he wasn't listed. Was he a late replacement??
He headlined the pre-lims Phone Post 3.0

Zero1 -

Maia fought a great fight and was always ahead with all his transitions. It seemed like he was almost playing with the guy. His win was impressive but after the fight I was thinking about Rickson vs. Funaki in comparsion to Maias fight. What really stunned me how different Rickson fought. Not much movements not alowing him to go else where great control and brutal punches. Not taking anything away from Maia but I was really thinking of how different Ricksons approach is to MMA than most other BJJ guys.....

Rickson fought total noobs compared to the fighters Maia has fought. Phone Post 3.0

HotSteppa - I had no idea he was fighting in UFC 190. I checked the fight card and he wasn't listed. Was he a late replacement??

I didn't think so, but for some reason, he was on the undercard... ridiculous.

...and I hardly call losing split decision to Shields and a dec. to rory...a hard run. Granted he follow up wins were only by decision... He's definitely worthy of a title shot.. Maybe he and Condit could go at it for winner gets the shot.

Maia would make a boatload of cash if he made a BJJ for MMA instructional series. His performance last night was absolute perfection against a very game opponent.

phil the void -
Zero1 -

Rickson fought total noobs compared to the fighters Maia has fought. Phone Post 3.0
This. Rickson fought guys who were not even close to Maia's opponents in skill. They were all Japanese heroes to draw huge Japanese tv audiences. They were in no way any sort of title contenders or serious tests of his skill. He fought in a different era as well. He would have to drastically change his training approach to succeed against the level of todays fighters. The stomp kick with your head down and arms out into a clinch is not going to cut it in 2015. Phone Post 3.0

What was Maia's sport BJJ game like? Phone Post 3.0