Low sodium meals while cutting weight?

What I have been reading a lot on lately is how much water carbs make you retain. Something like 4 water molecules to every 1 carb.... I'm no physics professor so don't bust my balls.

2JupitersTooMany -  Are you ramping down now for a weigh-in in a couple days?  I usually load with a couple gallons a day until a few days before, then cut back two days before, then cut water out completely at dinner, the night before the weigh-in day. 

Is this your first cut, or have you done this before?  I was surprised how much water weight you lose with this sodium and water cut method without having to get in a sauna.  Blows eating bland foods for a week, though.  Those sprouted grain breads were a godsend for me, even before the cut period, because they are high in protein and fit into my fast-carb, low glycemic index approach to dieting down before the cut. 

Yea I weigh in Friday night. The sodium load really does the trick, I'm losing pounds with doing very little work.

In case anyone is interested on how effective my sodium loading technique is, thus is how my weight has fluctuated up to this point

Saturday 169
Sunday 175
Monday 172
Tuesday 169.9
Wednesday 166
Thursday 163.4 Phone Post

I'm assuming that you're going to drink no/very little water for the last 24 hours. Looks good, probably wont even need to sweat much tomorrow.

panic686 - These threads are what make the UG worthwhile

Yep. Phone Post

TTT Phone Post

Illuminati - I'm assuming that you're going to drink no/very little water for the last 24 hours. Looks good, probably wont even need to sweat much tomorrow.

Yea Will, I'll drink only a glass here and there with meals (probably 20oz or so) then none tomorrow.

I'll go in and cut 4-5 lbs tonight. As much as possible without feeling drained and then cut the remainder tomorrow before weigh in's

Manipulating sodium in the hopes of dropping excess water weight is not a great idea. Your body is far smarter in terms of maintaining it's homeostatis than a person could ever attempt to be. Plus, sodium is an electrolyte that's involved in the nervous and muscular systems. If you start messing with sodium levels, you start screwing with those systems too.

Whomever mentioned manipulating carbs is on a much better track, but even than can get a tad tricky. It's takes some time to know what your body is capable of.

Dongbar - Manipulating sodium in the hopes of dropping excess water weight is not a great idea. Your body is far smarter in terms of maintaining it's homeostatis than a person could ever attempt to be. Plus, sodium is an electrolyte that's involved in the nervous and muscular systems. If you start messing with sodium levels, you start screwing with those systems too.

Whomever mentioned manipulating carbs is on a much better track, but even than can get a tad tricky. It's takes some time to know what your body is capable of.

Seems to work for me and the guys at my gym pretty well. We follow a detailed outline on what to do and when to do it though.

Why do you all use "unseasoned" food?

Don't you count black pepper, cumin, paprika, chile powder, basil, etc as seasonings?

Herbs and spices are the golden key to enjoying healthy food.

DallasVanWinkle - Why do you all use "unseasoned" food?

Don't you count black pepper, cumin, paprika, chile powder, basil, etc as seasonings?

It's unseasoned because I have to avoid all traces of sodium. But this part is only for the last 3 days. I'm from Louisiana and normally I season everything to the extreme. Which is why this part blows.... Eating boiled chicken and salmon gets old FAST. I would kill for some oatmeal but I'm scared it will cause me to retain water.

joshjitsu -
John Harris - 
joshjitsu -  Yes I dieted as much as I could. I was walking around about 173 and even though my diet was very strict I could only get to 169.0 so I'm cutting to 155.

I start my stripping phase today yay! ( I hate drinking distilled water and I miss my coffee already) Phone Post
I tried the sodium load method of cutting water and it just didn't agree with my body at all.  I fight at 155 and the week of my fight I weighed 190 lbs.  I was so bloated that my knees would hurt during my running sessions, plus I just felt sluggish and a total lard ass during camp.  I couldn't wait till the distilled water phase to get that extra water out of there.  It wouldn't come off fast enough, I wound up doing suana session the 3 nights before weighins to get the weight down where I was at least within range.

Dude I don't know what plan you were following but my sodium loading period is only 3 days. It sounds like you were loading for an extended amount of time. I put on a few lbs during the load process (175 at the heaviest) but I'm already back down to 169.

I do the same thing, if weigh ins are on Friday then the Sunday before I start the sodium load and Wednesday I cut out all sodium, drink 1 gallon of distilled water and switch to tilapia. Thursday I drink 1/2 a gallon before noon and have my last meal (tilapia) at the same time and then no more intake until after weigh ins. Thursday I can easily sweat out 10 lbs and still feel great. I cut from 195 to 168 last fight Phone Post

joshjitsu -
DallasVanWinkle - Why do you all use "unseasoned" food?

It's unseasoned because I have to avoid all traces of sodium. But this part is only for the last 3 days. I'm from Louisiana and normally I season everything to the extreme. Which is why this part blows.... Eating boiled chicken and salmon gets old FAST. I would kill for some oatmeal but I'm scared it will cause me to retain water.

What part of Louisiana? Phone Post

Baton Rouge

joshjitsu - Baton Rouge

You train with Gladiators? Phone Post

What is the function of boiling the chicken and fish as opposed to say, grilling them?
and woo first post!

Tom Celica - What is the function of boiling the chicken and fish as opposed to say, grilling them?
and woo first post!

Boiling it pulls out the sodium...grilling doesn't

FREEGodSaveTheQueen - 
joshjitsu - Baton Rouge

You train with Gladiators? Phone Post

Yes sir

Illuminati - 
Tom Celica - What is the function of boiling the chicken and fish as opposed to say, grilling them?
and woo first post!

Boiling it pulls out the sodium...grilling doesn't

^^^^^ this

hey... would you mind detailing the sodium load a bit more? im interested.mod

your body requires about 3x as much water to metabolize carbohydrates as it does to metabolize protien. your body will naturally drop substantial water if you move from moderate carb diet to high protien, no carb diet in the 2 days leading up to your cut. Thats a barebones explanation of how that works out.

Not real familiar with sodium loading and distilled water techs. makes sense tho.