Lower AB workout

I have been boxing a lot more lately and watching what I eat. I am starting to get my definition back in my abs except for the lower abs. Is there any exercises I could do at home to specifically work the lower abs?

btw I mostly want them for show rather than strength incase that matters

L sits on parralletes, hanging knee raises on pullup bar.

belly dancing.

Seriously, the ability to activate only the lower portion of the rectus abdominis is only seen in people who have trained extensively to be able to control their stomach muscles such as belly dancers and even then I am yet to see any research that conclusively proves that they are not actually activating different supporting muscles.

It's just one muscle really, lower ab definition is a function of both ab development and a lack of ab fat.

I'm in the opinion that anatomically there are no lower abs as well. But exercises are also range of motion specific (where max force occurs during the movement) so people do feel more stress in certain parts of the abs based on that. All that being said I think that the best thing for seeing definition is going to be the cardio and not which exercises you choose for your abs.

Also, there is a certain hereditary body make-up factor. Some people will have 'perfect' abs even with higher body fat, others will struggle to show ab definition even at very low bf.

Getting a suntan helps as well.

In the short term, yes that would work (lipo) though not something that I would recomend, the missed workouts due to the recovery time coupled with the risks of any unnecessary surgery would way heavy in the balance.

Indeed I agree that the primary factors in "lower ab" visibility will be genetics and low bodyfat. (I'm not necessarily agreeing that cardio is the exercise option, but this is a matter of varying ways of getting to low body fat)

Reposting a quote from the late Mel Siff, re: direct ab training.

Now, some of you may recall my mentioning the fact that some bellydancers and bodybuilders show that some people can acquire the skill to preferentially activate certain regions of the abdominals (upper, middle, lower, left and right sides). Some may use this information to state that I consider that one should do different exercises for "lower" and "upper" abs, but that would not be entirely accurate. It is inaccurate because it is impossible or extremely difficult (without plenty of biofeedback practice) to recruit one part of the abs and allow the other parts to remain dormant. Moreover, there is no scientific or practical evidence that more isolated ab region training offers any significant performance or shaping advantages than more general ab training or training with exercises that do not even focus intentionally on the abs (such as squats, standing press, tricep pushdowns and bench press).

If you do "lower ab" exercises, then all other parts of the abdominal muscles (yes, including the obliques) will also become active. Similarly, if you do "upper ab" exercises, then the lower and all other parts of the abs will also become active. If you do any form of natural movement or stabilisation against large or suddenly imposed loads, then the entire abdominal musculature will become involved, with the degree of overflow throughout the abdominal region and to many other adjacent and distant muscles being determined by the load being handled by the body. Generally, it is a matter of overkill or redundancy to do numerous exercises for the abs, using various free standing and toy assisted drills. One can enhance abdominal strength and shape by means of a very small inventory of exercises, most of which you need to experiment with to determine those which best suit you physically and mentally.

"I'm in the opinion that anatomically there are no lower abs as well. But exercises are also range of motion specific (where max force occurs during the movement) so people do feel more stress in certain parts of the abs based on that."

That does make sense.

Thanks Ali, that's exactly the quote I was thinking of.

Soreness is not necessarily related to how the muscle was trained -- i.e., it comes from inflammation of connective tissue, among other things. I can't tell you what does it, and why it's in one place vs. another, but I can tell you that soreness is not a reliable indicator of training effect on the muscles.

Wouldn't hitting the ab muscle from different angles be somewhat akin to doing incline bench press vs. decline bench press and the like?

Are the pectorals one muscle too?

Last I checked -- and this was a long time ago, but not as long as it's been a question -- there wasn't even any clarity as to whether doing incline/decline/flat bench preferentially worked one section of the pectorals differently from others. Chalupa is totally correct, however, that if there is a difference (and if there's the difference we seem to thinkthere is), this is because the insertion points are separate on one side of the muscle. It's kinda like your fingers being splayed -- they join close together on one end, and separate farther apart on the other.

Back to our regularly scheduled abs....

westernwarrior -- that's not being difficult; it is definitely possible to at least emphasize... "isolation"" is all relative but ok, let's go with isolate. Hence the example of belly dancers -- and other muscle-control freaks. But there's not any benefit to doing so in training, it seems. Except if you're training to display isolation. you have to go out of your way to do it.... and why? Will you contract the "lower portion" harder if you isolate it? I doubt it.