Lower back

Tips and tricks for healing Phone Post 3.0

A book called something like "7-Steps to a Pain Free Life" really helped me. It's based on something called the McKenzie Method. You have to be patient and really do the exercises every day. I was on the floor in my cubicle at work doing them, cuz fuck it, I'd rather be embarrassed than not be able to train. Phone Post 3.0

I've had back issues since I was a kid, and periodically it flares up. I've been a big fan of water training for the following benefits:
- buoyancy lowers the load on your joints/vertebrae
- resistance slows down your movement
- flow of water over the muscles
It also makes makes for improvements in your game:
- visualization & performance of the technique aids muscle memory
- the water resistance also improves your speed and fluidity
Lot of times when I  travel (and sitting a lot makes the back more susceptible to injury or pain), I train in the hotel pool for a couple of days, and get back on the mats, my game is sharp & fluid.
The back doesn't always bounce back quickly (nerve inflammation takes longer to go down than the vertebrae & muscles feel, so your margin for error is very small), and sometimes you do need to take off or seek medical help (as I've had to do many a time).

If interested in more info - send me question or check out: www.FluidBJJ.com
(note: not all the info is about water training, but more importantly about attacking in combinations, sequencing moves & taking advantage of a skilled opponent's defenses on the mats).

Here's a short water training clip I shot a few years back (BJJ part is the 2nd half): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHxLu6-3RnM

I dealt with terrible back pain for years and followed a whole bunch of different therapies to get rid of it. Here is a partial list of what I tried:

http://www.grapplearts.com/dont-take-injuries-lying-down/

Most of those therapies didn't work for me and my condition. Here is what ended up working for me: http://www.grapplearts.com/fixing-bad-backs/

The point is not that you should do what I did. The point is that there are many different treatment modalities and it is likely that one of them will help you; the only question is which one! And the only way you'll find that out is by going through them, one after another, until you find one that works.

Good luck with this!! Phone Post 3.0

Swim Phone Post 3.0

Have had bulged disks in the lower back for 10 years. They end up pinching nerves yearly!

Started taking 5,000 iu vitamin d3 daily split before training and after training.

All of a sudden everything feels better.

I mean everything. Phone Post 3.0

Active Release Therapy (A.R.T) Trigger point Therapy... It might not be your back, foam rolling, acupuncture, look up " The Founder" on YouTube, do it twice a day, stretch out your Psoas, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Quads and hamstrings.

Focused on all of this the last 3 weeks and my back pain all but disappeared getting ready for the USA Grappling World Team Trials. Phone Post 3.0

ok so my issue started with a torn groin and hip
then I slept on an air mattress and my back went out
my foot got weak
got several shots
now my leg is weak
has anyones strength come back without surgery

I also teach bjj everyday no way around it

Ttt

JamesH - Have had bulged disks in the lower back for 10 years. They end up pinching nerves yearly!

Started taking 5,000 iu vitamin d3 daily split before training and after training.

All of a sudden everything feels better.

I mean everything. Phone Post 3.0
No kidding? I'm currently taking megadose vit D after labs showed a huge deficiency. Labs were ordered cause x-rays showed I have the back of a 70 year old miner. Phone Post 3.0