lower bodyfat but keep size???

I am about 215-220, but my bodyfat is like 20%

I'd like to stay around 200-215, but cut my bodyfat to 10% or lower.

What's some good advice and guidelines to follow
and help will be greatly appreciated.

jroc

Consume a suficent amount of protein, continue weight training

Barbell complexes

barbells give me a complex, but i'm workin on it with my therapist.

From my experience, intervals.

My program has worked specifically for me.

Basically, sprint intervals for your roadwork about 3-4 times a week (preferably in the evenings). SOME (twice a week) light, long distance running.

As for the resistance training, I do about 2 days of dynamic effort training for speed and time with BWE's. Then 2 days of max effort (max out at about 8 reps). This summer, I'm going to experiment with 3-5 reps instead on max effort days, and weighted/unweighted BWE's on my dynamic effort days.

As for diet, in the past cut down on portions of carbs, and increased my protein intake. I increased my carbs ever so slight if I was feeling fatigued. I'm trying something slightly different this summer though.

"Then 2 days of max effort (max out at about 8 reps)."

That is a rather light load for max effort work.

molson:

They weren't necessarily light, but that rep range isn't traditionally associated with max effort, which is 3-5 reps. They were my "8-rep max effort." They suited my goals at the time.

But I am switching more to a 3-5 rep scheme around June. I've been playing with heavier weights in this rep scheme, and it suits my goals better.

clen

In my opinion you should get huge then just crash diet and do cardio.

Eat less food and do some sprint intervals.

Your bf% is 20% because your eating too much food for your body to use up. Or lack of cardio/ intervals.

Koing

I do 1 minute sprint intervals for 30 minutes. Is that enough?

I honestly don't think I eat that much. I probably don't eat enough. I'm thinking about adding more cardio too. I'm usually sweating like a pig and dead tired when I finish the sprints. On the elipitical and treadmill, I usually burn about 600 calories in 30 minutes. On the stairmaster, it's about the same.

4 Ranges

Why run in the evenings? I'd always heard running in the mornings was better.

Novice:

My post said to SPRINT in the evenings.

Sprinting is an anaerobic activity, so doing it in the evenings has worked better for me, because I've had several meals during the day to help me when I sprint. Sprinting in the mornings, on an empty stomach, is a somewhat painful ordeal, so I don't really recommend it.

The long distance running I do in the mornings on an empty stomach. I've seen dramatic fat reduction on myself when I do aerobic training first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

So run in the mornings and sprint in the evenings?
I only do sprints and run only every now and then.

J Roc:

the way I did it, I ran on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings, hit my target heart rate, and ran for about 20 minutes MAX.

I sprinted on M-W-Saturdays in the evenings, prior to lifting.

Of course this was the plan. There were times when I had to adjust to my energy levels (just not recovered from the last session). So, sometimes on Tuesdays I'd just speed-walk. If my legs warmed up, I'd break into a jog. If wednesday evening came up, and I was still unrecovered, I'd sprint for a shorter time, and less intensity, then lift.

Also, if I found myself unrecovered 2-3 days in a row, I'll take a training day off, until I was fresh again.

Mind you, a lot of this "fat melting" stuff has a lot to do with diet also. I avoided all my favorite foods: ice cream, pizza, bagels, etc. No alcohol whatsoever.

thanks.

I am still trying to tweak both my workout and my diet to get my bodyfat lower. The nutritionist I saw was virtually no help at all, and I don't think the personal trainers here all that great.

J Roc:

You're welcome.

I hear you on nutritionists and personal trainers. It's hard to get good info on this subject.

consume adequate amount of protein (depends on caloric intake, acitvity and carb intake) continue
moderate to hvy resistance training

keep in mind most studies indicte even in times of servere caloric restriction ability to maintain muslce mass with adequate protein intake (note some studies indicate as low as 50gms of protein can greatly reduce protein oxidation)

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com