Lucky Knee ? Should Ben have pulled guard ?

Was that a lucky knee ?

Is that a case where Ben would have been better served to butt scoot/flop into guard ?

3 Likes

He did flop to guard in his dreams 

4 Likes

I think it was lucky.

However, we have seen it in the past (albeit, from fighters far more skilled than Masvidal). Pele vs. Hughes, Pele vs. Newton and Anderson vs. Newton being a few.

You’re always risking it if you shoot from distance with no setup.

Initiate that same takedown from punching distance and Ben most likely finishes it.

1 Like

He should have done something different than duck his head right into incoming traffic.  

1 Like
williepep - Was that a lucky knee ?

Is that a case where Ben would have been better served to butt scoot/flop into guard ?

Def should have moved to the side or fell back but he believes in takedown plus he wasnt expecting it and reacted with his go to. Really hope he ok and hope someone humbles Jorge.

2 Likes

Should have just circled away and reset. 

Should have side stepped.

4 Likes
Soul Gravy - I think it was lucky.

However, we have seen it in the past (albeit, from fighters far more skilled than Masvidal). Pele vs. Hughes, Pele vs. Newton and Anderson vs. Newton being a few.

Initiate that same takedown from punching distance and Ben most likely finishes it.

No, no, no.

Clearly, Ben ducked his head AFTER Mas already was running at him. Mas did not time the knee after Ben changed levels to shoot ala Romero/Weidman, Anderson/Newton, Pele/Hughes.

Mas knew it was always a chance since that’s what Ben does but he did not time it like a counter. I do think it was fortunate.

Just a tactical error. Askren was just playing dead, hoping Masvidal would punch himself out but then the ref jumped in. If only the ref left it go, I'm sure Askren would have come back to win. 

1 Like
Soul Gravy - I think it was lucky.

Jesus man there is no luck in any cage fight. Shut the fuck up with that bullshit

doyouevenufc - 
Soul Gravy - I think it was lucky.

Jesus man there is no luck in any cage fight. Shut the fuck up with that bullshit

Of course there’s luck. Do we follow the same sport?

Well Ben did make 40K per second of that fight, so there's that ... but he was transported to the hospital and is said to be in serious condition according to one reporter on Twitter. 

Masvidal had that planned - he executed it. How is it lucky? 

JOESONDO - 

Just a tactical error. Askren was just playing dead, hoping Masvidal would punch himself out but then the ref jumped in. If only the ref left it go, I'm sure Askren would have come back to win. 

He is a very good actor, he sold it very well.

More like a bad habit Askren has that eventually caught up to him.

Masvidal forced Askren to shoot by running at him if anything Askren wasn't even looking trying to get a lucky shot.

FingerorMoon - 

Should have side stepped.

lol.

but really he should have trained striking.

1 Like

You throw a shot. It lands. That's not luck. Ever.

1 Like

Should have sidestepped

1 Like