Luke Rockhold to 205!!!

Ex-middleweight champion Luke Rockhold planning move to light heavyweight

Luke Rockhold, one of the most accomplished middleweights of the past decade, is planning a move to the light heavyweight division.

Rockhold (16-4) is two weeks removed from a TKO loss to Yoel Romero at UFC 221 in Perth, Australia. A win would have netted him an interim championship and set up a title unification bout against Robert Whittaker.

With that off the table, however, Rockhold doesn't see much left at 185 pounds. Outside of a trilogy bout with rival Michael Bisping, Rockhold's focus is already shifting to 205.

Luke Rockhold, who says he's tired of making the weight cut to the middleweight limit of 185 pounds, now has his sights set on a move to the light heavyweight division. Rod Mar for ESPN

"I'm not too excited about making that weight cut again," Rockhold told ESPN. "I just don't feel nearly as strong, powerful, quick. It takes a lot out of me.

"Pretty much Bisping is the only reason I would torture myself to get back there. That's a loss that doesn't sit well with me. I know the UFC is very interested in that fight and will pursue it on their end. If he doesn't accept it, there's no reason for me to stay at 185."

Rockhold, 33, won the UFC championship in 2015, then surrendered it to Bisping (30-9) in a stunning knockout loss the next year. Their rivalry sits at one win apiece, but Bisping is considering retirement after back-to-back losses last year.

Rockhold believes it will be at least six months before his next fight, but one prominent light heavyweight, two-time title challenger Alexander Gustafsson (18-4), has already called him out on social media. Gustafsson's invitation did not go unnoticed.

"Mr. Gustafsson has reached out, opened his mouth, and that's a fight that interests me -- very much so," Rockhold said. "I like that matchup. I like every matchup at 205. There's a lot of interesting things there, and I'm not coming to play around."

Rockhold's entire career has taken place at middleweight, but the cut has never been an easy one. He says his natural weight is around 210 pounds.

The weight cut was compounded in this last fight, as the local athletic commission did not approve early morning weigh-ins, which were widely adopted in mid-2016.

Rockhold credited Romero for being "as tough as they come" in their fight, but admitted he was adversely affected by the weight cut procedures. Romero actually missed weight for the fight, coming in at 187.7 pounds.

"I knew what I was getting into when I took this fight, but I didn't exactly have the best weight cut," Rockhold said. "Credit to Yoel. I thought I could take advantage of certain things, and kicking his leg felt like f---ing cement. I ended up having to work around that, and he capitalized.

"That Perth commission doesn't understand the sport. The world has changed for the better. To have the athletes weigh in on a stage, televised, it makes no sense. Holding us at weight to run us through medicals and a staging process, it lengthens the time we're depleting ourselves. Then they're forcing us to do interviews, it's ridiculous."

A move to light heavyweight will eliminate those factors. And if a Bisping rubber match fails to materialize and Rockhold does head to 205, he says he'll do so with his head high.

"I did a lot at that weight class," Rockhold said. "People probably don't give me the credit I deserve for holding the Strikeforce title, but the people who do know, know.

"Compared to some other guys at 205, of course, I'll be a little small. But I've never tried to just physically go for it, bulk up, lift weights. Every time I'm in training mode, I've had to monitor what I'm eating. I'll break 210 and be around 215 pounds. I know what it takes to compete with the best guys at 205. I've trained with them."

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/22555625/former-middleweight-champion-luke-rockhold-planning-jump-light-heavyweight-division

“Didn’t have a great weight cut” 

Sick of hearing that. If you ask most fighters i don’t believe they will admit they had a “good” weight cut. It’s a level playing field with cutting. 

Extra weight isn't going to help him learn to box or keep his hands up.

Sooo… his big plan is to move to a place with harder punchers? Good luck I guess

wormiwalkinstik - Sooo..... his big plan is to move to a place with harder punchers? Good luck I guess
His biggest problem is he believes his own hype. He is not nearly as good as he sees himself. Hopefully all the sleepy time will make him reevaluate his abilities and weaknesses.
McGoat -

Sick of hearing that. If you ask most fighters i don’t believe they will admit they had a “good” weight cut. It’s a level playing field with cutting. 

Until you’ve cut weight multiple times, you won’t understand. 

I have read on here that he doesn't really lift weights. Maybe with an added S&C regimen he could fill out to about 220lbs or so.

Well he is huge for middleweight. Maybe it will help, who knows.

Seats Taken -
McGoat -

But nearly everybody has to cut weight. It’s part of the sport. No longer an excuse. What will be his excuse if he gets slept at 205. Just say my stand up isn’t where it needs to be and i have to improve. 

Gus would fuck him up. If Rockhold is moving up he should fight someone with a big name and a lower ranking than Gus like Shogun.

TheDarkPassenger -

Gus would fuck him up. If Rockhold is moving up he should fight someone with a big name and a lower ranking than Gus like Shogun.

I'd love to see that fight. It would make sense for someone moving up. I'm a huge shogun fan obviously and it's a winnable fight for both. Shogun would hopefully KO him with an overhand right 

TheDarkPassenger -

Shogun would be a good easy fight for him, but Shogun has heavy hands, likes to pressure guys and loves the overhand right-left hook finish. 

I think it would be an accurate indicator of where he's at right now.

Head moooment!

(his is not going to change at 205)

McGoat -
Seats Taken -
McGoat -

But nearly everybody has to cut weight. It’s part of the sport. No longer an excuse. What will be his excuse if he gets slept at 205. Just say my stand up isn’t where it needs to be and i have to improve. 

Him having a bad one would make the Yoel not making weight even more irritating tough

Nice , cant wait!

Rockhold vs Shogun, Blachowicz, Patrick Cummins or Corey Anderson make sense. Keep him away from Manuwa, Gustafsson, and Texeira for the mean time.

mma_jeremy -

That said I just don't see Rockhold doing well at LHW. His chin isn't good enough and took most likely permanent damage in the Romero fight, and his boxing is opened for the same exploit that got him knocked out twice already and he's not showing any sign of fixing that.

I think Gus murders him

Gus has really reached his prime, that Teixera finish was nothing short of beautiful.

I see him being able to do even worse to Rockhold. 

Gus Viking Berserker smashes him with ease :(

McGoat - 

Hey fuckhead, at least he made the weight cut. Romero couldn’t even do that.

Gotta say it brings a certain bit of satisfaction knowing that Luke is at the point that hes looking for excuses as to why he lost.

Means his run is most likely over.

I wish Rumble was still fighting.