Luke Thomas - MMA Fighting.

Just started watching this guy over at MMA Fighting.

Very intelligent guy, great analyst, seems to know what's up and keeps it real.

Very charismatic and a former marine. He has the potential to replace Joe Rogan IMO.

Only negative I could detect was he seemed to have a bizarre hatred for Shane Carwin? Phone Post 3.0

One of my favorites.

Always listen to his live chats

Underrated Phone Post

He bought a shirt from me and usps lat his order. He was very understanding and let me fix it and was incredibly nice. Definitely one of awesome journalists /epic beards. War thomas! Phone Post

DamnSevern - One of my favorites.

Underrated Phone Post
What's the back story with him and Carwin? Anyone know? Phone Post 3.0

Hes one of the better ones. He always takes the intellectual high road even when it goes against a popular opinion. I like him.

Outlaw'd by Lytle -

Underrated Phone Post

The problem is carwins manager not carwin he says Phone Post

Thomas is good, he doesnt mince his words and just says what he thinks.

weebrave -
Outlaw'd by Lytle -

Underrated Phone Post

The problem is carwins manager not carwin he says Phone Post

Ahh okay, fair enough. Phone Post 3.0

He tries to be honest to the point of appearing like a rude person. Witch turns some people off. But he is knowledgeable and has good insight, plus is not afraid to speak his mind (minus the Irvin thing, he shuts up about that)

Outlaw'd by Lytle -

Underrated Phone Post

Maybe he has a hard stance on peds Phone Post

I follow him on twitter, he's probably my favorite journalist on their along with Helwani and Morgan Phone Post

Yup. Solid guy who does great work Phone Post 3.0

nobones - Lol...Luke Thomas is very smart and brings a lot to the table in a discussion. But if you have followed him for as long as I have you will know he tends to get very arrogant at times and quite elitist. I would not call him really nice but he is a rational guy most of the time unless pro wrestling is brought up. I wouldn't call him charismatic exactly and nowhere near the level of Joe Rogan in that department. But he can be somewhat entertaining from time to time but I appreciate his erudition and thought he puts into his pieces. He is one of the few MMA journalists that does train from time to time anyways and he brings this insight into his writing muxh better than others. But he does have a reputation for being a bit of a prick especially when he was coming up. Today he is a bit more chill but from time to time his solipsism rears its head. Phone Post
What's the lol for? Also, any examples of him being a prick?

Also, paragraphs please.

; ) Phone Post 3.0

nobones - 

Lol...Luke Thomas is very smart and brings a lot to the table in a discussion. But if you have followed him for as long as I have you will know he tends to get very arrogant at times and quite elitist. I would not call him really nice but he is a rational guy most of the time unless pro wrestling is brought up. I wouldn't call him charismatic exactly and nowhere near the level of Joe Rogan in that department. But he can be somewhat entertaining from time to time but I appreciate his erudition and thought he puts into his pieces. He is one of the few MMA journalists that does train from time to time anyways and he brings this insight into his writing muxh better than others. But he does have a reputation for being a bit of a prick especially when he was coming up. Today he is a bit more chill but from time to time his solipsism rears its head. Phone Post

yeah 1 thing I dont care for is his constant reminders of what people he likes or appreciates and what fighters he doesn't like or thinks they are idiots etc.

Like he cant mention Forrest Griffin without adding he doesn't like him. Every.Single.Time. He has to say it every single time the name is brought up. I DONT CARE WHAT YOU FEEL ABOUT HIM THOMAS!!

Carwin is the same. Even in the MMA Beat when they mention the retirement of Carwin, he had to add that he doesn care for him or doesnt like his manager etc. I DONT CARE WHAT YOU FEEL ABOUT HIM THOMAS!!

Guess its the MMA personality virus. Everyone is trying to be unique and edgy.

Nobones nailed it.

"He always takes the intellectual high road"...you must not have read too many of Luke's comments on BE. Rarely was he able to make a comment without insulting someone.

nobones -
Outlaw'd by Lytle - 
nobones - Lol...Luke Thomas is very smart and brings a lot to the table in a discussion. But if you have followed him for as long as I have you will know he tends to get very arrogant at times and quite elitist. I would not call him really nice but he is a rational guy most of the time unless pro wrestling is brought up. I wouldn't call him charismatic exactly and nowhere near the level of Joe Rogan in that department. But he can be somewhat entertaining from time to time but I appreciate his erudition and thought he puts into his pieces. He is one of the few MMA journalists that does train from time to time anyways and he brings this insight into his writing muxh better than others. But he does have a reputation for being a bit of a prick especially when he was coming up. Today he is a bit more chill but from time to time his solipsism rears its head. Phone Post
What's the lol for? Also, any examples of him being a prick?

Also, paragraphs please.

; ) Phone Post 3.0

Sorry I was writing from my phone.  I LOLed because Luke is hardly considered to be all that friendly or charismatic and certainly nothing like Joe Rogan.  A lot of people just can't stand Luke Thomas whereas Joe Rogan is sort of adored by millions.  Luke is better as an analyst and writer than an on-screen personality.  He has a weird insecurity about him, like in the beginning of the MMA Beat he was always like flexing and stretching his neck...I was like dude do that before the cameras roll...but like luctaro said he HAS to stand out.  He has to have you know who he is or something like that.  It gets annoying.

Examples of him being a prick?  Well how about all of bloodyelbow.com when he was the editor?  The reputation of bloodyelbow being a stuck up site came from Luke Thomas's design.  He implemented the crazy banning rules and often said he wanted a forum with only the people he deemed as 'intelligent'.  If you say anything he doens't find smart he immediately starts to berate you or just treat you like an idiot...ok there are lots of idiots on MMA message boards but he goes over the top.

He actually used to mock Ariel Helwani on his old radio show here in DC, MMA Nation.  More out of envy I think than anything else.  He tried to get his own thing going with SB Nation and have MMA Nation become the premiere blog for MMA but then SB Nation bought MMA Fighting and basically did away with MMA Nation and Luke was pretty bitter about it for a while.

But like I said he is very smart and brings another dimension to MMA coverage that most MMA media don't or simply can't cover.  He tried to be an MMA fighter before starting his MMA journalism career because he wanted that sort of credibility that he found lacking amongst MMA journalists but he injured his shoulder.

Thanks for your thoughts, certainly gives me a more rounded view of Mr Thomas.

That being said, I take people as I find them, thus far I've been very impressed.

I can kinda see how he would be perceived as arrogant but is the cause of that how serious he is? He appears deadly serious at all times, can't recall him smiling once.

Maybe he's just trying to avoid a 'fuck you goof' from DFW?!

Also, he slightly reminds me of Mr Tumnus!

:D Phone Post 3.0

nobones - It is partially because he is serious partially because he is insecure. He used to hate on Ariel Helwani big time and really just out of envy.

He is a good journalist for the most part though. Especially considering he has no journalism background he was a philosophy major in college.

But charismatic...nah he is not that. Phone Post
If he is genuinely insecure I wonder what the cause is?

He used to be a Marine did he not? I'm not saying that makes him immune from being insecure just makes me question it.

Maybe he had a hard time during his time as a Marine?

Him and Ariel seem cool now, guess they squashed their beef. Phone Post 3.0

He is my favorite MMA analyst.

He is a straight up jerk. He was the reason the term "BElitist" was coined at Bloodyelbow. When someone had a comment that didnt share his opinion he would reply with something smartass like "you are an idiot" and that's it. I got banned for telling him that just because he's a Marine (I am too) that he doesn't need to be such a prick all the time. He got all pissed off at me and fuck that site. Phone Post 3.0

He's not elitist. He just has zero patience for ignorance and stupidity, two things that are not in short supply amongst many MMA fans.