Luxury watch tiers. Explain.

Can you explain the hierarchy of luxury watches? I have a friend who thinks Rolex is the best watch you can buy, but I know that's not true. What are the tiers in your opinion?

The smaller your dick, the more expensive the watch you buy to distract from it.

Why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a sparkly bracelet that tells time is beyond me.

Rolex is not even close, i think like a patek phillipe is near the top.

Brockback Mountain -

The smaller your dick, the more expensive the watch you buy to distract from it.

Why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a sparkly bracelet that tells time is beyond me.

Rolex is not even close, i think like a patek phillipe is near the top.

This Phone Post 3.0

Rolex is a third tier luxury watch at best, patek is a first tier watch.

There's no official heirarchy. IMO it goes something like this:

High-end luxury: The "holy trinity" of watchmaking. Patek Phillipe, Audemars Piguet, and Vacheron Constantine. Also Breguet, Blancpain, Jaeger LeCoultre, and a few others.

Luxury: Rolex, Omega, IWC, Breitling, Cartier.

Lower Luxury: Tag Heuer, Raymond Weil.

Basic Luxury: Oris, can't think of any others off the top of my head lol.

Obviously I'm not listing all brands.

Sagiv Lapkin -

There's no official heirarchy. IMO it goes something like this:

High-end luxury: The "holy trinity" of watchmaking. Patek Phillipe, Audemars Piguet, and Vacheron Constantine. Also Breguet, Blancpain, Jaeger LeCoultre, and a few others.

Luxury: Rolex, Omega, IWC, Breitling, Cartier.

Lower Luxury: Tag Heuer, Raymond Weil.

Basic Luxury: Oris, can't think of any others off the top of my head lol.

Obviously I'm not listing all brands.

I just checked out the top tier brands listed here. I can't speak to quality as I've never owned anything better than my current Bulova, but none of those top models are appealing to me visually. Rolex makes much nicer looking watches from what I can gather. If I had unlimited funds, I would go with a Rolex. Phone Post 3.0

I hear you man. Personally, I'm not a fan of the way Audemars Piguet watches look. But I think that most Pateks are beautiful.

this the male version of a diamond ring?

Patek Philippe. GOAT watches. My father wears his fathers, which hopefully I will wear, which hopefully my son and grandson will wear. Phone Post 3.0

$ 624.555.00

kungfugrip - this the male version of a diamond ring?

Shit, if luxury watches became the male version of the diamond ring, that would be awesome. Watches are at least functional, e.g., tell the time/day/date, besides being a sign of being a WIS or a status symbol.

Things that I'd want:

Vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
Patek Philippe Calatrava
Grand Seiko Spring Drive titanium diver (or at least the Marine Master 600 Spring Drive)

IMHO, Rolex is the gatekeeper for "high-end" watches.

People that don't know shit about watches typically think it is "the best."

Now, they ARE very good watches. I got a Submariner in a trade, about 25 years ago. I wore daily for over 20 years, with just minimal maintenance. A few years ago I traded it for a much nicer (IMHO)GMT-II, and was shocked that my old Sub (even though it LOOKED like I had worn it daily for over 2 decades) was worth well more than what I valued it at the original trade.

That said, I'd gladly get rid of all my watches to get a Patek!

How many do you have?

plus my wife's 2.

What about the upcoming Apple iWatch? :P Phone Post 3.0

I have a thing for nice watches but I am not going to shell out the kind of money top tier watchmakers want for their jewelry. $500.00 is the upper limit of what I think is reasonable for a watch for myself. If I was loaded sure I would spend more but I am not. There are a lot of really nice low tier luxury watch brands that look great work great and don't break the bank. Invicta, Stehurling, Rotary, Swiss Legend are some of the brands I own watches from and they all have been great watches thusfar.

At the end of the day you are paying for name brand jewelry. Nothing is going to keep time much better than a cheapass casio or timex anyway. Phone Post 3.0

Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III - I have a thing for nice watches but I am not going to shell out the kind of money top tier watchmakers want for their jewelry. $500.00 is the upper limit of what I think is reasonable for a watch for myself. If I was loaded sure I would spend more but I am not. There are a lot of really nice low tier luxury watch brands that look great work great and don't break the bank. Invicta, Stehurling, Rotary, Swiss Legend are some of the brands I own watches from and they all have been great watches thusfar.

At the end of the day you are paying for name brand jewelry. Nothing is going to keep time much better than a cheapass casio or timex anyway. Phone Post 3.0

You're absolutely right about a watch like a quartz-movement G-Shock keeping more accurate time than a mechanical watch, and that it's about more than simply keeping time.

It's about attention to detail, the beauty of the piece, and also about keeping excellent time. For example, I love looking at the movement of my Planet Ocean through the see-through caseback, and it's a different feeling than when looking at my G-shock or Suunto.

Sagiv Lapkin -
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III - I have a thing for nice watches but I am not going to shell out the kind of money top tier watchmakers want for their jewelry. $500.00 is the upper limit of what I think is reasonable for a watch for myself. If I was loaded sure I would spend more but I am not. There are a lot of really nice low tier luxury watch brands that look great work great and don't break the bank. Invicta, Stehurling, Rotary, Swiss Legend are some of the brands I own watches from and they all have been great watches thusfar.

You're absolutely right about a watch like a quartz-movement G-Shock keeping more accurate time than a mechanical watch, and that it's about more than simply keeping time.

It's about attention to detail, the beauty of the piece, and also about keeping excellent time. For example, I love looking at the movement of my Planet Ocean through the see-through caseback, and it's a different feeling than when looking at my G-shock or Suunto.

Agreed almost all of mine are mechanical and automatic. It isn't the very best for keeping time, but I love the workmanship and complexity of the watches. I am particularly into the skeleton style watches where you can see everything inside. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0