LWRC IC-SPR Rifle---worth having ?

LWRC IC-SPR Rifle

Saw one come in and go a store shelf yesterday.

I passed because already have enough 223 variants.

Thought I would check to make sure this is not a "must have"

Seemed nice and if a person was looking for a piston gun they would be interested.

Thoughts ?

I have one of the earlier generation LWRC rifles the M6 A2. It’s decent. Functions well, runs reliably, is accurate, looks nice. My buddy has the IC SPR. 

Drawbacks- you can’t change out the hand guard. The recievers and hand guards are proprietary as are the bolt carriers. Anything goes wrong with those three and you’re fucked in that you can’t swap it with any of your other AR parts. 

the piston system in general is a solution looking for a problem. DI guns are not unreliable by any stretch when assembled correctly. The piston systems do run a bit cleaner esp when running suppressed but you’re still getting carbon/gasses from blowback out of the chamber when cycling. 

The gas that normally drives cycling is now being dumped under the hand guard where the gas block is. This will heat up your hand really quick when you’re working the gun hard. Having a glove on at least your support hand is a good idea. I don’t like to shoot with gloves on if I can help so that’s a negative for me. 

the piston adds weight which might not be an issue for some. I don’t really want a heavy carbine so there’s another drawback. 

Since they became popular, LWRC has been bought and sold at least once. This always seems to effect quality. I know there was a big stink about their AR10 platform the REPR a few years ago being a shit product (accuracy was awful for a while-it was being sold as a precision tool). I didn’t hear much about the IC having the same issues. Their PDW the 45 caliber PCC was a huge flop. Jam-o-magic piece of shit. The engineer in charge of its design quit in the middle of the project and they cranked out a turd while charging top dollar. No thanks. 

They did have a great rep for a while but given all the issues above, I would pass and build my own with what I know now. For that kind of money you can really put together a nice one. 

2 Likes

FRAT-

prob skip it

Surgeon308 - 

FRAT-

prob skip it

Thank you very much.

Not at all by the second paragraph you sold me and third it was getting worse.

Legitimate thank you, now I can focus on other stuff I don't need as well.

Good case example I know you are a Vortex fan, and I probably need another scope or 2 before buying another rifle. For example I have a 338 Lapua I have never shot and have not bought a scope for yet.

Could use another safe for a different location.

Point is those should be priority rather than getting distracted by something because it is the only one sitting around in a shop.

Good review 

I was so excited for the LWRC pcc then found out the price and was out. Then turns out it’s a pile anyway. Looks good but man they fucked up that deal. 

Lwrc makes top tier ARs , anybody who says otherwise doesn't know dick or just has a personal preference issue. 

lwrc is up there with bcm and Daniels. 

Bought the original LWRC Tricon a few years back.

Solid gun. That said, I could have gotten an HK MR556 for less money. In retrospect, really wish I had done that.

Gforce - Bought the original LWRC Tricon a few years back.

Solid gun. That said, I could have gotten an HK MR556 for less money. In retrospect, really wish I had done that.

If I recall correctly you were pals with the fellow that worked with LWRC on this, or the company built it to his specs/preferences. ( At least had a degree of input).

I can see his book on the shelf as I type.

Bought that book based on your recommendation years ago.

Does the book still hold up ?

Yes. How much? 

awilson82 -

I was so excited for the LWRC pcc then found out the price and was out. Then turns out it’s a pile anyway. Looks good but man they fucked up that deal. 

Oh fuck you. Drop 3500 on it and shut up.

Fighting -
awilson82 -

Oh fuck you. Drop 3500 on it and shut up.

lol I’ll buy an SP5, an aimpoint, and a nice dinner instead

SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 

Yes. How much? 

It was 2200 and change. Put out at at closing yesterday ( probably 2250 or so )

I could call to see if stil,there. They will usually give me and pals a price break but not sure during these days.

They have a CZ tactical sport orange I almost grabbed then fought the urge and left.

If anyone wants me to I can call see if stil,there tell them to hold and s friend will be calling.

Jedburgh1 -

Good review 

Thanks man, how you been?

williepep -
Surgeon308 - 

FRAT-

prob skip it

Thank you very much.

Not at all by the second paragraph you sold me and third it was getting worse.

Legitimate thank you, now I can focus on other stuff I don't need as well.

Good case example I know you are a Vortex fan, and I probably need another scope or 2 before buying another rifle. For example I have a 338 Lapua I have never shot and have not bought a scope for yet.

Could use another safe for a different location.

Point is those should be priority rather than getting distracted by something because it is the only one sitting around in a shop.

The 4.5-27 Razor of the NF 7-35 would really stretch out what you can see on the 338. My friend has her 338LM set up with the vortex but I have had the night force ATACR as well, it’s damn nice. 

In