Lyoto Machida Standup

Whats your opinion about Lyoto Machida standup? his style is mixed Karate shotokan with kickboxing elements, very elusive, i think he is superior than Shoguns Muay Thai.

Lyoto's karate is not magical and it's more the man than the style imho, though clearly the karate has given him techniques and tactics that are out of the ordinary for most MMA fighters who come from boxing and muay thai striking styles.

To me what makes Lyoto so good is his great sense of range and angles and timing,  He knows when to come in and attack and when to fade away and evade. He recognizes his opponent's range and footwork and can counter and confuse and break rhythms.

ex. one of my favorite evasive movements he does is a double pivot step. ex. As his opponent charges forward he pivots his lead leg back, then he pivots his right leg (now his lead) back to resume his original stance but this simple double pivot gives him several options. after the first pivot he could fire in left keg kick/knee or after the second pivot he has created the range and the angle to deliver a powerful right kick or cross..   this is great for that grappler who moves in with forward pressure and doesn't stop after seeing the initial pivot step (either ignorant to it or trying to shoot and pressure)

Pivoting isn't magical and certainly not limited to karate. It's the person imho.  

"To me what makes Lyoto so good is his great sense of range and angles and timing, He knows when to come in and attack and when to fade away and evade. He recognizes his opponent's range and footwork and can counter and confuse and break rhythms."

very well said, agree 100%

I think what helps him also is that he has a working knowledge of how most people are going to come at him, but most people have no real answer for how to deal with Lyoto.

Lyoto is awesome, but i agree too, depends 50% the art and 50% the person.
May be in the clich of Shogun have problems Lyoto or in the ground, in standup i belive Lyoto is better standup fighter

Ali and Whitaker successfully utilizing his approach toward hall of fame careers in boxing. Seeing as how the Octagon is huge and there's no corners to cut off it's amazing that we didn't see this approach sooner.

I definitely agree Machida is also a special athlete.

Bull_in_chinashop -  Lyoto's karate is not magical and it's more the man than the style imho, though clearly the karate has given him techniques and tactics that are out of the ordinary for most MMA fighters who come from boxing and muay thai striking styles.

To me what makes Lyoto so good is his great sense of range and angles and timing,  He knows when to come in and attack and when to fade away and evade. He recognizes his opponent's range and footwork and can counter and confuse and break rhythms.

ex. one of my favorite evasive movements he does is a double pivot step. ex. As his opponent charges forward he pivots his lead leg back, then he pivots his right leg (now his lead) back to resume his original stance but this simple double pivot gives him several options. after the first pivot he could fire in left keg kick/knee or after the second pivot he has created the range and the angle to deliver a powerful right kick or cross..   this is great for that grappler who moves in with forward pressure and doesn't stop after seeing the initial pivot step (either ignorant to it or trying to shoot and pressure)

Pivoting isn't magical and certainly not limited to karate. It's the person imho.  

this is correct. Not rogans retarded theory of having Karate on top of BJJ and Muay Thai

I actually think Rogan is on track, he's done some training in muaythai. How much is actually used in the fight is debatable, but there is at least exposure to the art and it's training methods.

Bryan72 - I actually think Rogan is on track, he's done some training in muaythai. How much is actually used in the fight is debatable, but there is at least exposure to the art and it's training methods.

so explain the absence of more machida's in mma.

Are you saying he is the only guy who came from karate who trains jiujitsu and muay thai?

You and Rogan should start thinking things through

no, I'm not saying he's the only guy who came from Karate who trains jiu-jitsu and muaythai. And I'm trying to figure out exactly how, based upon what I wrote, you think that I stated he was the only one.

Rogan is right, no way you go right from the dojo into mma, even if you're Machida.

Lyoto is awesome. But lets not fool ourselves into thinking its something mystical about what he is doing

The guy has been training striking since the age of 5

How many years has someone like Rashad seriously trained striking? I would bet the total amount would be something like 3 years. Or Thiago Silva? He is mainly a BJJ fighter who learned some striking along the way

Put Lyoto against a striker with the same amount of experience (standup only) and things will look much different (like when he fought Sam Greco)

Of course its pretty irrelevant as Lyoto is more than a striker, the guy is blackbelt on the ground and a very good wrestler aswell. He is the total package

ttt