M-1 guys want to make event vs. UFC fighters

M-1 Global heavyweight Denis Smoldarev (10-1) talks about possible fighting event "M-1 Global vs. UFC", his comparison to Brock Lesnar, and feelings about Russian MMA fighters turn down coaching offers from Fedor Emelianenko.

- When are you going to come back to fighting?
- To tell the truth I don’t know yet. At M-1 Challenge 55 I fought with injury, so it’ll take some time to examine my shoulder and decide when I can be ready for return.

- Would you like to fight Marcin Tybura for M-1 championship title or more famous fighter – Sergei Kharitonov instead?
- I don’t know how you determine who is more famous fighter (laughing). But I can say that I’d like to fight both – Tybura and Kharitonov.

- Do you agree when fans compare you with WWE and UFC fighter Brock Lesnar?
- I’m ok with that. I’m big guy and my muscles make me different in a row of Russian heavyweights. Gym workout is significant part of my training.

- Who do you like among world MMA heavyweights?
- I like Mark Hunt, Cain Velasquez, Josh Barnett and Roy Nelson.

- M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelchtein told us that he is ready to make a fight between M-1 Global fighters and UFC ones – 5 to 5 fighting show. Would you like to fight against Cain Velasquez in such an event?
- Easily! I wouldn’t even think about rejecting. I often told Vadim about such an idea – to arrange M-1 Global vs. UFC event. This would be interesting and entertaining for fans.

- Have you heard Fedor Emelianenko complained about Russian fighters didn’t want to accept his professional help in fighting preparation? What do you think about this?
- Yeah, I watched that interview by Fedor. It’s extremely sad situation. I feel sorry for the Russian fighters don’t use his help. It’s amazing possibility. Well, maybe there’s some financial hint in this, I don’t know (laughing). But I would train under his coaching with much pleasure. If Fedor would offer me his help, of course. I have a lot of things to work on and many aspects of professional grow. The experience that Fedor Emelianenko can share – is of a great value for me.

Source (RUS): http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/edinoborstva/spbnews_NI521250_Denis_Smoldarev_Na_boj_s_Velaskesom_soglasilsa_by_bez_razdumij

UFC would never do anything cool like this....

They did something cool ONE fucking time in 2003 by sending Chuck Liddell to Pride GP 2003 as a UFC representative.  That UFC decision was one of the best things that could happen to MMA at the time and produced the most exciting events of all time.  But UFC felt it hurt their image when their guy lost to Pride's number two guy.

But Dana White had plans not to co-promote or do anything unique / fun / cool - but instead to dominate, power hungry, destroy all competition, secure all the top fighters so they can pay them cheap and spread them out in all the events against lesser known people / killing all possibilities of mega dream matches.

UFC will only make a decision that is in the best interest of their pockets.  They do not care to even RISK sharing wealth with another promotion in order to give the fans a treat.  UFC does not care about their fans.  They are strictly only out for themselves.

Because snow is not cheap these days.

^ why on earth would the UFC do a co promotion thing with M1 global?

"yeah lets make a small org popular and give them a name in North AMerica".

This would be like the UFL saying they want to go against NFL teams Phone Post 3.0

shaqitup - ^ why on earth would the UFC do a co promotion thing with M1 global?

1) For the Fans

2) For the Fans

3) For the Fans

4) To promote their product to M-1 fans.

5) To create a buzz to give MMA more exposure

6) To create a business relationship w/ another promotion for possible future business deals

7) Vince McMahon did it with ECW in Feb. of 1997....  And that was awesome.

I'd love it, but it will never happen.

Awesome if they did but it's unlikely that they'll ever co-promote unless two dominate champions from their respective orgs. pushed to make it happen. I'd love to see UFC co-promote with Bellator or ONE Championship somewhere down the line when UFC brass become more "enlightened". It's more probable that Bellator will co-promote with M-1. Scott Coker is cool like that. Phone Post 3.0

EatonBeever -

They did something cool ONE fucking time in 2003 by sending Chuck Liddell to Pride GP 2003 as a UFC representative.  That UFC decision was one of the best things that could happen to MMA at the time and produced the most exciting events of all time.  But UFC felt it hurt their image when their guy lost to Pride's number two guy.

But Dana White had plans not to co-promote or do anything unique / fun / cool - but instead to dominate, power hungry, destroy all competition, secure all the top fighters so they can pay them cheap and spread them out in all the events against lesser known people / killing all possibilities of mega dream matches.

UFC will only make a decision that is in the best interest of their pockets.  They do not care to even RISK sharing wealth with another promotion in order to give the fans a treat.  UFC does not care about their fans.  They are strictly only out for themselves.

Oh geez. Settle down tin cap Phone Post 3.0

EatonBeever -

While what your saying isn't untrue it's also not really relevant here. I mean are there any fans that even want to see them co promote with them? There was a time when co promotion would have been awesome. But not anymore IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Well I guess some fans do want to see it. Question, do any of you watch m1? Can you name 15 m1 fighters without looking them up? I know a lot of good talent comes out of there, but I really don't think anyone has done enough to earn a world title shot. JMO Phone Post 3.0

EatonBeever -
shaqitup - ^ why on earth would the UFC do a co promotion thing with M1 global?

1) For the Fans

2) For the Fans

3) For the Fans

4) To promote their product to M-1 fans.

5) To create a buzz to give MMA more exposure

6) To create a business relationship w/ another promotion for possible future business deals

7) Vince McMahon did it with ECW in Feb. of 1997....  And that was awesome.

I agree, why is the ufcs reputation worth so much more than a super interesting co promotion? It would be awesome, sell high, and for sure ufc would do it contingent upon favorable matchups.

What's the problem? Giving publicity to much smaller orgs? Wah Phone Post 3.0

Uni man - Well I guess some fans do want to see it. Question, do any of you watch m1? Can you name 15 m1 fighters without looking them up? I know a lot of good talent comes out of there, but I really don't think anyone has done enough to earn a world title shot. JMO Phone Post 3.0

Well, Khabib Nurmagomedov seems to be a pretty good M-1 fighter and he was never a top guy there. Why don't you ask Khabib? He's not the best fighter in the Russian Federation from his region. There a number of guys, just that he's trained with, who are better wrestlers... better strikers and and better Combat Sambo fighters than him. There are many many more over there who are UFC-level and the number is rapidly growing.

Fedor is the head of the government funded amateur "Union of Russian of MMA" which is now a part of the Russian Ministry of Sport. They now have thousands of fighters from all of the former-Soviet Union training and competing in amateur MMA who would have gone into wrestling, Sambo, or Judo, etc. People over here have no idea what's coming.

Sad part is Dana White has brainwashed everyone here to think that UFC has all the best in the world. Yet, they won't sign Askren, Kharitonov, Khalidov... lol. Then there's Dana's successful 'Fedor career assaignation' and then convincing American MMA fans the owner of the second longest running (almost 20 years) MMA promotion, that gets 20K for events and 3-7M viwers on TV, is a Va"Dummy". Ya right!

Russia is the mecca of combat sports period. Wrestling, Judo, boxing, Sambo, karate, kudo and on and on. No one comes close to the number of world champions and Olympic champions out of there. Who is naive enough to think MMA wouldn't be the same, and won't be even more in the future?

People saying for the fans are full of shit.. how many of u watch M-1 on the regular.. none I bet! Phone Post 3.0

mmainsurgent - 
Uni man - Well I guess some fans do want to see it. Question, do any of you watch m1? Can you name 15 m1 fighters without looking them up? I know a lot of good talent comes out of there, but I really don't think anyone has done enough to earn a world title shot. JMO Phone Post 3.0

Well, Khabib Nurmagomedov seems to be a pretty good M-1 fighter and he was never a top guy there. Why don't you ask Khabib? He's not the best fighter in the Russian Federation from his region. There a number of guys, just that he's trained with, who are better wrestlers... better strikers and and better Combat Sambo fighters than him. There are many many more over there who are UFC-level and the number is rapidly growing.

Fedor is the head of the government funded amateur "Union of Russian of MMA" which is now a part of the Russian Ministry of Sport. They now have thousands of fighters from all of the former-Soviet Union training and competing in amateur MMA who would have gone into wrestling, Sambo, or Judo, etc. People over here have no idea what's coming.

Sad part is Dana White has brainwashed everyone here to think that UFC has all the best in the world. Yet, they won't sign Askren, Kharitonov, Khalidov... lol. Then there's Dana's successful 'Fedor career assaignation' and then convincing American MMA fans the owner of the second longest running (almost 20 years) MMA promotion, that gets 20K for events and 3-7M viwers on TV, is a Va"Dummy". Ya right!

Russia is the mecca of combat sports period. Wrestling, Judo, boxing, Sambo, karate, kudo and on and on. No one comes close to the number of world champions and Olympic champions out of there. Who is naive enough to think MMA wouldn't be the same, and won't be even more in the future?

Thanks for such a reasonable reply. Of course Russian MMA promotions are not so huge as UFC. But there're plenty of prospects and very decent fighters. Many talents. Khabib wasn't the only one.

It's an interesting one because as loathe as the UFC is to give other promotions oxygen, let alone co-promote, it could actually work for them.

Russia's biggest promotion begs for a shot, their fighters getting fucking dominated, Russian fans realise UFC = real deal. Phone Post 3.0

The Power Double - It's an interesting one because as loathe as the UFC is to give other promotions oxygen, let alone co-promote, it could actually work for them.

Russia's biggest promotion begs for a shot, their fighters getting fucking dominated, Russian fans realise UFC = real deal. Phone Post 3.0
As dull as ufc has been lately, in my opinion. Exactly this it would be nice to see ufc vs promotions Phone Post 3.0

The Power Double - It's an interesting one because as loathe as the UFC is to give other promotions oxygen, let alone co-promote, it could actually work for them.

It's an interesting one because as loathe as the UFC is to give other promotions oxygen, let alone co-promote, it could actually work for "MMA (MMA) fans".

Russia's biggest promotion begs for a shot, "their fighters fucking dominate", American fans realize UFC = "real FAIL".

mmainsurgent -

How do you know they are better? Khabib is undefeated. And to be clear I'm not saying the talent isn't there, I think fedor is the goat hw. And I think a lot of stars will come out of Russia, but as of now they don't have the star power to come close to co promotion, Phone Post 3.0

M-1 has no value to bring to the table. No one is dying to see relatively unkown M1 fighters fight UFC fighters. There is no point for the UFC to do this and little value for the fans. Made more sense with Pride.

This plea is just another excuse for the haters to complain about the big boys on top, UFC.