M.E. is for sissy's lets bench!!!

COOL LET ME KNOW WHEN!!!

PEACE, TOM

P.S. WE'LL HAVE A BLAST!!!

Who on the forum has their PDR manual/10 Street figthing guides handy? :-)

Re-read the 10 Commandments of Street Survival.

Here are two edited supplements from the first chapter of the manual:

6 ? Thou Shalt Not Lose The Street Fight.

You must know in advance that you will survive the authentic street fight. By 'authentic' I mean a true situation where you have a moral and ethical reason to take action. Only then can you be resolute in your conviction and only then will you have the support of good and the force of the universe behind you. This may sound corny to some, but when you use your skills for "life" (for preservation), rather than "death", (abuse of your skill) the emotional power that is available to you is exponential.

You must also appreciate the relationship to the pejorative ego in combat. You don't "win" a real fight. You survive one. Win & lose are labels our ego uses. Think survival. Think about your life and why you'll survive. This is true power.

Remember this: Never fight when your opponent wants to fight. Never fight where your opponent wants to fight. And never fight how your opponent wants to fight. Take care of those three factors, I'll bet on you. Sun Tzu wrote: "The height of strategy is to attack your opponent's strategy." Study this.

Continued next post....

7 ? Thou Shalt Not Invite Disaster.

You've heard the expression "An accident waiting to happen". So many victims of violence failed to use simple skills like awareness and avoidance. No one deserves to be a victim, but many street tragedies result from "planning for failure through failure to plan." Though the world is an incredible and wonderful place, it does have its dangers. If you respect this simple truth and spend a little time developing your Survival ToolBox, you can get back to the real task at hand: enjoying your life.

For simplicity sake consider there are two types of victims. Those who deny and ignore (apathy will usually help seal your fate) and those who manufacture danger at every turn. If you haven't had the opportunity to read Gavin De Becker's excellent book The Gift of Fear, get yourself a copy. It is the first time, in my opinion, anyone has effectively explained the fear signal in a positive, useful light as it relates to danger and violence. His examples and theories are welcome additions to the pre-contact arsenal necessary to try to avoid violence.

It would be nice if simply 'trusting' survival signals were all we needed to detect and avoid danger. Unfortunately, there may be situations where we do everything right, but still find ourselves in the thick of things and must take physical action. Preparation is paramount.

Learn to evaluate a stimulus in advance. This mind-set will spare you a lot of trouble if you do a little research. In the end, most situations are easily avoided with the right attitude, awareness and advance analysis.

Here are the critical areas you must examine:

·Evaluate your routine. Are there any obvious places you could be attacked? Is there something about your schedule, behavior, residence, etc. that sends a 'come and get me' message to an opportunist criminal? When would you attack you and why?

·Evaluate your mind. What type of person are you? Do you find yourself in many confrontations? (Of any nature) How do you deal with them? Do you lose your temper quickly? Do you accept abuse (verbal, mental, etc.) too readily? Both reactions could create serious problems in a violent confrontation.

·Evaluate your arsenal. You may take care of the routine and have yourself in total control and still be faced with a threat. What specialized skills do you bring to the confrontation? Many of us become fairly proficient with our empty hands in a ready stance in the dojo where we know the rules, we know our opponent, the level of contact is agreed to and we're wearing equipment and...I think you get my point. Do you really understand the nut on the street? Are you confident on the ground? Against a weapon? In a survival scenario? Total confidence results when you ask pertinent questions and research, to satisfaction, the answers. That's being proactive. After all, this is your life.

Apathy and denial will seal your fate in a confrontation. Other personality aberrations like an inflated ego, misguided inferiority complex, and overconfidence all contribute to the issue of safety. These attributes will create problems during confrontations of any nature. Be proactive about the things that can cause you grief.

I have a simple belief that keeps me honest and introspective: I believe we experience confrontations every day of our lives, ("Confrontation" defined as any situation that affects our enjoyment of the moment - I know people who take traffic personally!). Therefore, the degree of calmness and clarity with which we deal with our confrontations will directly determine the quality of our day and therefore, the quality of our life.

---------------

After truly digesting this, re-read the OVERKILL chapter and then evalute my REPLICATION THEORY and Tom's philosopy on S&C.

Tony

Nice thread...Tom I didnt forget about you, have a few articles I need to xerox and get out to you, also need to get to a printer to print out some files so you can read some of my stuff then decide for yourself...one of these days Id like to get up, and if you like the material I send you should try to get down for a day and I can have you meet some of my friends to brainstorm with.

God Bless, off to work!
Matt

THANKS MATT!!

F.Y.I. I HAVE TWO HIGH GEAR SUITS. IF YOU COME UP I WILL LET YOU PLAY LINEBACKER AND TRY TO TACKLE ME. HELL YOU CAN PLAY ANY POSITION YOU WANT!!! :-)

PLEASE COME UP AND PLAY!!!!!!!!!!

PEACE, TOM

thanks!;-)

Sounds good to me!! Lord knows I need the training!! I gotta settle some things at work, then Ill have a more steady schedule and be able to plan a day to come up!!! I would really really love to get some training and get to play in a High Gear suit just to show me how much work I gotta do!!

THE EMOTIONS MOVE THE MIND, THE MIND MOVES THE BODY!!

WITHOUT EMOTIONAL AND MENTAL TRAINING YOU WILL/CAN NOT REACH YOUR PHYSICAL POTENTIAL AS A FIGHTER!!

WHEN I THINK OF THE MENTAL EDGE I THINK OF MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL EDGE!!

TONY OPENED UP MY EYES YEARS AGO ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF NOT BEING ONE DIMENSIONAL!!

I SEE SUCH A LINE DRAWN IN THE SAND WHEN IT COMES TO MENTAL/EMOTIONAL OR PHYSICAL!!

LETS TALK ABOUT IT!!

AFTER ALL THIS IS THE M.E.EDGE!! :-)

PEACE, TOM

P.S HOW DO YOU TRAIN TO STAY BALANCED AND DO YOU TRAIN YOUR STUDENT'S THE SAME WAY???

:-)

TB

Tom ,

I've been thinking about what you and Softspot have been saying and I don't think I fully understand . Are you saying that as an instructor you will evaluate a student's 'type' in a critical situation ? By this do you mean using various drills to get the student as close as possible to what a 'critical situation' is for them ? If so , do you then watch to see how they will react ?

So if a student , who talked a mean fight in class , ends up cowering in a 'critical situation' does that mean you evaluate him/her as an aggressive/passive type ?

Again I may be misunderstanding this , or really misinterpreting parts , so I figure I better ask .

But if this is the case Tom , where do you go from here ? Now that you have a students profile , do you stay in control of how they progress , or does the student dictate at what intensity you progress with them ? I know you don't want to push so hard they fail , but how to you use your formula to adapt training to them ? I think Mike's post was excellent and may answer some of this , but I wasn't sure .

Thanx , V.

Tom,

I find that one of the interesting "challenges" is the
(your term) passive/passive. This is typically (IMO)
the woman who is a psychological "sheep", and
cowers when asked to perform most drills. They
often have near-complete belief that they are
"unable to do that, could never do that, don't know if
I could ever bring myself to do that, etc." and need
the direction (Tony's directive) of a greater NEED to
fight. I often cite Scott Sonnon's tribal
Knuckledragger philosophy, where you look at the
others who will suffer if you don't fight. This type of
personality is often able to FLIP THE SWITCH
when someone else will obviously suffer. I take
them aside and ask them to picture some of the
distasteful results, and then have them participate
in a drill with that emotional state. Then, I talk with
them again, and "analyze" how they felt and why
they were able to do "XYZ". Usually, a few
sessions like this are all that's necessary to show
them that they are not "changing into a mean
person, etc." and that the ability to control one's
state of aggression is a positive step toward self-
mastery. Once they become more comfortable
with their aggressive side, I find that the real root of
the problem, THEIR FEAR OF THEIR
AGGRESSIVE SIDE, goes away. Understanding
and knowledge is far better than wondering!!

Lee

-

Tom,

I started my reply early today before you made your second post...

I'm going to send you my original response and I'll contemplate your formula and post again later.

If I missed the mark feel free to let me know...

Here goes,

Tom,

This particular aspect of training is one that makes Tony's program so different from anything else I've ever seen...

Tops on my list would be Emotional Climate Training for verbal assault, encroachment, most common street attacks and whatever else puts you into the "Holy Sh*t Zone". One of the many things I learned from the last Blauer seminar I attended was about expanding your Comfort Zone by expanding into your Discomfort Zone which then extends to your Holy Sh*t Zone.

While I am not doing a good job at explaining it, it means you have to continually work outside what you are comfortable with in scenarios that replicate the Holy Sh*t moment in order to overcome the emotion of the HSZ moment...

It is critical to simply start from where you are, not from where you think you should be. You have to be willing to 'fail' in order to 'experience'. I remember being very frustrated with my training and progress and when I sent Tony an email he simply told me not to fixate on how things 'should' be and simply move on.

It was a very profound moment for me and one I share with my students and training partners when they begin to 'Judge instead of Evaluate' as we are instructed to do in the PDR.

As far as the mechanics of 3D training as I understand it, each drill must have an emotional component attached to the physical action. Mr. Aldridge's example of the bench press and mount escape is a good example. Combat crunches, heavy bag training against different kinds of visualized opponents, scenario training where you have no control over the outcome are all great ways to train the emotional arsenal.

With regards to students, the template is the same but the actual training is matched to what they can do. This can be as simple as walking through a scenario in slow motion with no contact whatsoever. Again, you start from where they are and add resistance as they progress.

Visualization and role playing are key skills I am really working on to develop and incorporate into training. These skills are critical to the process of what Tony refers to as 'Mental Blueprints.' If you can't get over the emotional inertia state that very often accompanies being attacked, your physical skills will be greatly undermined if not canceled out completely. The more 'real' these moments appear to be to the mind in training, the better chance you have of overcoming the emotion of a real attack.

Well Tom I think I may be rambling a bit here so I'll stop see what you, Tony and the rest of the team have to say.

Take care,

Mike

LEE AND MIKE!

GREAT POSTS!

YOU BOTH BRING UP SO MANY GOOD POINTS. INSTEAD OF RESPONDING TO EACH ONE. I WILL JUST ASK THE READERS OUT THERE TO READ THEM A FEW TIMES. SO YOU CAN GET ALL THAT GOOD INFO!! :-)

PASSIVE/PASSIVE TYPES NEED PERSONAL PROTECTION TRAINING THE MOST BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE THE TYPES THAT DROP OUT OF CLASS FIRST!!

AS WAS SAID BEFORE THE PROGRAM HAS TO FIT THE INDIVIDUAL. IF IT DOES NOT FAILURE COULD BE THE RESULT.

AS IN S&C, ALSO IN PERSONAL PROTECTION THERE IS NO "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" GENERIC PROGRAM!!

THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS THAT TONY'S SYSTEM IS SO PROFOUND BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU THE TOOLS TO TEACH ALL PERSONALITY TYPES!!

PEACE, TOM

Great posts by all!

I would imagine the aggressive/passive person would be
the typical "bully" personality. They'd talk a great
fight, but when it came time to do drills, the actions
wouldn't be where the words were.

Passive/aggressive: That quiet little kid in the back of
class, that you're always afraid isn't getting a thing
out of training, and then erupts like a bomb when things
get physical.

That's all for now...

Jake

NICE JAKE!!!..YOU NAILED IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!!!

SOFTSPOT...GOOD POINT!!!...I THINK THAT ONE OF YOUR SENTENCES WILL HELP YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION!! "I DON'T THINK THAT I'M PASSIVE/AGGRESSIVE ALL THE TIME ALTHOUGH I'D SAY IN A CRITICAL SITUATION THAT WOULD BE MY TYPE."

KEY POINT IN A CRITICAL SITUATION!!!!!

AS A PERSONAL PROTECTION INSTRUCTOR THAT IS THE TIME THAT I/YOU NEED TO EVALUATE WHAT PROFILE THE STUDENT FITS.

DOES THAT HELP???

PEACE, TOM

Hi,

Q: Aren't we a combination of the above types? I don't think I'm passive/aggressive all the time, although I'd say in a critical situation that would be my type... there are days when I'm very agressive and then there are days that i'm passive/passive...

Do you adjust training?

Regards,

softspot

Here's one I've had them do for years.

I tell them to imagine themselves outside their
body, where they can observe all their own actions.
"Be a predator watching you, and analyze where
you leave yourself 'undefended' in awareness.
Think as the attacker would, and formulate escape
plans to those potential attacks." They go through
their daily routine and do this as a "homework"
exercise to be discussed at the next class.

Also, when doing S & C, I try to have them use
visual imagery as to how each movement can be
practically applied. For instance, bench press =
mount escape, etc. I attempt to have them keep
their mind into what can become "mindless"
things.

Lee Aldridge

-

Amen to that Lee!!...Varley pretty good!!

Lets take them one at a time.

Aggressive/Aggressive...This is the type of student that needs personal protection strategy the least. He/she will posture aggressively and speak aggressively which will deter most attackers. Aggressive/Aggressive are willing to confront and will back it up with physical action. They will be drawn to the more aggressive drills in class. Which is exactly what they need the least. What they need is work on verbal deescalation and submissive posturing.

Any Thoughts???

Peace, Tom

Tom , It sounds as though the aggressive/aggressive student is well suited for 'combat' . But I think for the street and safety in general , 'combat' [physically speaking] may not always be the best initial move tactically . And more importantly they don't want to tip their aggressor to their mindset/abilities .[strategy??] So they should train that which does not yet come naturally ... as you say , things like submissive posturing etc . Maybe all I needed to say was : [I think] He/She needs to learn when and how to be a wolf in sheeps' clothing !Q : Is this something of what you meant when you said 'training to stay balanced '?
Q : By using the phrase 'stay balanced' , are you implying that our personal approach to training will constantly alter course as we evolve towards being less one dimentional ? V.

DIFFERENT STUDENTS MUST BE TREATED DIFFERENTLY!!

YEARS AGO I USED THIS FORMULA TO HELP ME DEVISE MY STRATEGY FOR FIGHTING IN COMPETITION!!

I FOUND OUT YEARS LATER THAT I WORKED GREAT FOR EVALUATING STUDENT TYPES!!

M.& E...............PHYSICALLY

PASSIVE.............PASSIVE

AGGRESSIVE..........PASSIVE

PASSIVE.............AGGRESSIVE

AGGRESSIVE..........AGGRESSIVE

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HOW TO USE THIS FORMULA JUST ASK!! :-)

PEACE, TOM

P.S LEE THIS IS NOT DERECTED AT YOUR POST JUST ONE OF MY RANDOM THOUGHTS THAT I WANT TO SHARE!