m hughes vs cung lee in san shou

Cung Le always seems to be running on empty in the last round or so of his fights, I don't think his conditioning is "superhuman". He often gets tired. I've seen a couple matches of his where in the last couple minutes, he looked like he was done physically, and was just covering up getting peppered with strikes, and occasionally clinching (but not getting takedowns) to stall out for the end. Perhaps this was just a strategy, but it certainly seemed he was exhausted. My knowledge of his matches is in no way comprehensive, so perhaps this was an aberration.

Not to be mean, but Matt Hughes has picked up and thrown world class wrestlers, not the near clue less kickboxer that make up most of Cung's diet.

Cung Le seems to be a real good athlete with some skills, but he is by far the biggest fish in a pretty small and obscure pond, at least in the U.S.

cant disagree on most of your points.....it has been about 5 yrs since i trained with liu, and le's game may have easily suffered in that time-i know he had a lot going on even back then(media and whatnot)and was seeing less and less of liu. still, i believe he has all the tools-point of interest for those who dont know, le wrestled in college, and trained intensively with a russian wrestling coach as well(where he picked up that suplex). he's not unskilled on the ground. he very well may not be hungry like he was early on...but the bulk of his fights, especially early on, were dominant. but yes, mostly against muay thai and seidokaikan guys-no pushovers, but not wrestlers. i can remember him talking about retiring, at least from fighting, 3 or 4 yrs ago. he was under the radar for a long time before hitting k1 and the spotlight, so he may just be ready to pack it up now. dont want to start one of those "in his day" discussions, so ill stop there. either way, if you can find any of his k star or early fights take a look.

If you judge Cung Le based upon a few strike force cards you saw on ESPN you aren't getting the big picture

Cung fought in three world championships... ie against the best in the world... beat Russians, Iranians, Egyptians, etc... top dogs with good wrestling

In Hawaii in the 90's, Cung beat CHINA's national champion, ie the national champion of the country that started San Shou/San Da

Cung kicks extremely hard. I guess you can't appreciate that watching him on TV but you can ask anyone who has trained with him.

As far as conditining in recent fights, my guess is that he is coaching, doing movies, running two gyms, etc... he is not as conditioned as he was in past

for the love of god please post some San Shou highlight videos

I watched a China vs Thailand event from maybe 2001 that was awesome (don't ask me where i downloaded it). Hopefully San Shou's popularity rises.

amateur world championships can be seen on this link (2003)

www.sanshou.com/footage/2003.mov

Cung latest fights do show him a little HEAVY. LOL...I guess he's not as motivated.

Looks pretty cool but man what is with the shin pads?
Any more padding they can rival TKD.

"Looks pretty cool but man what is with the shin pads?"

Amateur fighters. fwiw they wear the identical gear in amatuer muay thai.

the pads aren't very thick, really they just prevent cuts... it is amateur after all and like Bull said, amateur MT has the same

the tapes are te world tournament, about 60 countries in 11 weight classes, ie lots of fights

These fantasy match ups are just so ridiculous. I do not think that Cung Le would even weant to venture in the ring with Hughes so why even imagine this? Its like saying what would it be like if BJ fought De La Hoya in a pure boxing match? Makes no sense right? Cmon trolls.

Hughes would slam Cung Le unconscious. I don't see Cung taking him down, and I don't see his strikes being something Hughes hasn't seen before. The only way Hughes would lose is if his slam is somehow deemed illegal.

If you've ever seen someone with decent greco wrestling and bjj in their background enter a judo tournament, and win, without having any judo knowledge, you'll understand how Hughes would win. While having no experience of the RULESET, he has enough elite experience with the required SKILLSET to compensate. He is a 5 or 6 time UFC champ so mixing strikes and takedowns is his bread and butter, case closed.

trolling, trolling, trolling, keep on trolling

YAWN....

www.sanshou.com/footage/2003.mov

seriously. not even a question. matt coached me in college and i got two takedowns in two years. and only because i could put my knees to the ground. (can't in san shou) cung can't box, has descent kicks. matt would own him though. the short rounds would be great for him. he's just walk through him for three minutes and sit in his corner after getting his 7 takedowns.

cung is past his prime, or severely overrated.

"Its like saying what would it be like if BJ fought De La Hoya in a pure boxing match?"

after the hughes fight there was a rumor that bj was asking dana to push for this. pure boxing match too LOL. prob just a rumor though, id hope

Yeah, sure, anyone who thinks Hughes would beat Cung Le is a troll. Cung won't think that after he's thrown out of the ring. When it comes to takedowns, Hughes is on another level.

It's like when I took push hands tai chi I kicked the shit out of nationally ranked taichi guys. When something's a fringe sport it tends to lack the competitive base of a popular sport like wrestling, and therefore the cream rises to the top much quicker and more dramatically.

"and only because i could put my knees to the ground. (can't in san shou)"

You're wrong Brian. Actually you can put a knee on the mat in sanshou if the motion results in a clean score.

I can't help but find it ironic that you're knocking Cung, yet he beat you Soundly after his first fight after a major surgery/rehab (You were his "tune-up" fight.)

I was always taught to be humble in defeat. I'm sure you were too.

Why is this trolling?

All of Cung's fights I have seen, he has won because he uses his takedowns against seemingly clueless (in terms of takedown defense) fighters.

Matt's biggest strength is that he is the best MMA takedown fighter there is.

Even in a San Shou fight, Matt's strength would far outweigh Cung's strength.

Face it, Hughes would beat him at his own sport.

Cung would not take this fight.

Straight up. Riggs is Hughes' worst nightmare stylistically and he got assraped. Hughes matches up very well with wrestlers because he's probably the best mma wrestler in the sport. This would EASILY carry over to SanShou.