M&P 15 II

I picked up my first AR yesterday. A Smith & Wesson M&P 15 II. Kind of got it on a whim. Kind of surprised me.

Got a chance to shoot it today. Felt real good. Kept my pattern pretty tight using the iron sights only.

Knew nothing about the ARs but talked to the sales guy who gave me the whole breakdown between the AK vs the AR. Gas vs Piston. 5.65 vs .308. Really answered all I wanted to know. Was planning on doing sometime after the first of the year but said, "Fuck it" And I got it.

Got home with it & read as much as could to see if I got a good gun or not. Looks like from all the reviews its a hell of a gun for the price. Good mid-range gun that will last me a life time.

So what say you UG? Thoughts on the M&P 15 II? What are some of the must have accessories? How do you have your's set up?

You're gonna shoot your eye out.

The M&P rifle is good enough for many agencies to use for duty use. It's a solid, no-frills platform to get into AR's. Good choice!

I'd get a handguard that has a heatshield in it, a buttstock with no wiggle/rattle and an optic that you want (scope, dot, etc.)

I'd also eventually put a light on it and get a sling. If you go single point, you'll need the adapter for that.

Have fun, man.

J Macc, any suggestions on handguard? Is that different from a hand rail? Probably a stupid question but I don't know. What websites do you recommend?

greenhornet - J Macc, any suggestions on handguard? Is that different from a hand rail? Probably a stupid question but I don't know. What websites do you recommend?

Sure man. Handrail, handguard, same shit basically. It really depends on what you want to spend. I'd recommend something with an MLOK  system over Keymod, but that's just me.

Magpul makes good stuff at a reasonable price. Troy Industries, Bravo Company, Yankee Hill, PSA, Daniel Defense.. you can't go wrong with any of those. It's personal preference. 

Also, when you get a buttstock your rifle has a milspec buffertube, not commercial. You'll need to know that.

It's a good rifle, man. You're gonna have a lot of fun!

J Macc 01 - 
greenhornet - J Macc, any suggestions on handguard? Is that different from a hand rail? Probably a stupid question but I don't know. What websites do you recommend?

Sure man. Handrail, handguard, same shit basically. It really depends on what you want to spend. I'd recommend something with an MLOK  system over Keymod, but that's just me.

Magpul makes good stuff at a reasonable price. Troy Industries, Bravo Company, Yankee Hill, PSA, Daniel Defense.. you can't go wrong with any of those. It's personal preference. 

Also, when you get a buttstock your rifle has a milspec buffertube, not commercial. You'll need to know that.

It's a good rifle, man. You're gonna have a lot of fun!

Thanks,J Macc!

I want an AR 15 but every time I read these threads I just get more confused on what to buy. So many options and customizations. Phone Post 3.0

Dude! I get mine Sunday! 

I eventually plan on adding a drop in quad rail and and angled foregrip

I got mine back in February. I put a quad rail, flash light, single point sling, and an eotech on it. Things can get expensive lol. I love shooting it.

ttt

I'm not a fan of quadrail forends. They are heavier and sharp. I love the Magpul MOE furniture. You can still attach whatever you want with a rail kit.

I love mine. Careful, it's addicting to upgrade. 

I recommend a good optic and just extra mags, and maybe a better grip. 

Hillary's Fly - I want an AR 15 but every time I read these threads I just get more confused on what to buy. So many options and customizations. Phone Post 3.0

I'll give you my amateur opinion. You really don't need to buy a lot of things. The M&P 15 II is an excellent gun.

I really only got it for a few reasons. One is that I am a little concerned that if Hillary wins she will go after being able to get one. I got my first gun when Bill was elected. May or may not happen but I want to be ahead of the game if she gets in. The other reason is for the eventual Zombie Apocalypse. If it all goes down I want to be prepared. I guess I'm a bit of a prepper.

I don't think that the AR is really the best for home protection. A 12 gauge or handgun is much better set up. Not that an AR type setup wouldn't work its just not the best tool for the job. That's my opinion others may disagree. With tight hallways & rooms & the very short distance its not the first gun I'm grabbing.

If you want to do target shooting & like all the bells & whistles then you can really decorate your AR. It can get expensive.
I don't plan on spending every weekend at the range & stroking my gun along with all my buddies & their guns. Nothing wrong with doing that but that is not my goal.

That's the nice thing about the M&P 15. Its a solid gun & it meets my needs. I'm interested in all the gadgets & trying to figure out what would make it a better set up but I don't need to do anything based on my needs.

I've only had mine for a few days but unless I was really into shooting then I would but the same gun again if I had to do it all over again. Even if I'm into shooting & really want to go nuts the M&P 15 is a great entry model.

Nigga, you bought something that you knew nothing about based on the word of a salesman?

Testiculos Ferro - Nigga, you bought something that you knew nothing about based on the word of a salesman?

LOL not too far from the truth.

I usually don't buy things that way. It was impulse. I had wanted an AR for a while. Like my Glock & my 870 express, I wanted a good solid set up that will last for years. I think I got that with the M&P 15.

greenhornet -
Hillary's Fly - I want an AR 15 but every time I read these threads I just get more confused on what to buy. So many options and customizations. Phone Post 3.0

I'll give you my amateur opinion. You really don't need to buy a lot of things. The M&P 15 II is an excellent gun.

I really only got it for a few reasons. One is that I am a little concerned that if Hillary wins she will go after being able to get one. I got my first gun when Bill was elected. May or may not happen but I want to be ahead of the game if she gets in. The other reason is for the eventual Zombie Apocalypse. If it all goes down I want to be prepared. I guess I'm a bit of a prepper.

I don't think that the AR is really the best for home protection. A 12 gauge or handgun is much better set up. Not that an AR type setup wouldn't work its just not the best tool for the job. That's my opinion others may disagree. With tight hallways & rooms & the very short distance its not the first gun I'm grabbing.

If you want to do target shooting & like all the bells & whistles then you can really decorate your AR. It can get expensive.
I don't plan on spending every weekend at the range & stroking my gun along with all my buddies & their guns. Nothing wrong with doing that but that is not my goal.

That's the nice thing about the M&P 15. Its a solid gun & it meets my needs. I'm interested in all the gadgets & trying to figure out what would make it a better set up but I don't need to do anything based on my needs.

I've only had mine for a few days but unless I was really into shooting then I would but the same gun again if I had to do it all over again. Even if I'm into shooting & really want to go nuts the M&P 15 is a great entry model.
Thanks for the info. I want it for the same reasons - Hillary and defending my property or myself in the event of an economic collapse (or zombies.)

I bought my first gun a few years ago. It's a Ruger SR9 and I kinda wish I had gotten something easier to conceal as I eventually got my CCW. Now I'm looking at the Glock 19 for CCW. I also plan on getting a shotgun for home defense. Something along the lines of a Remington 870.

The shotgun was actually going to be my next gun but with the real threat of Hillary I'm wanting to pick up an AR 15 first.

I'm looking at the m&p II and the Ruger 556. Both seem to have great reviews, seem to be quality entry level guns and are in my price range as I'm not really into tricking out guns either. I think I'd be fine with a single point sling and maybe a flashlight. Phone Post 3.0

Hillary's Fly - 
greenhornet -

Thanks for the info. I want it for the same reasons - Hillary and defending my property or myself in the event of an economic collapse (or zombies.)

I bought my first gun a few years ago. It's a Ruger SR9 and I kinda wish I had gotten something easier to conceal as I eventually got my CCW. Now I'm looking at the Glock 19 for CCW. I also plan on getting a shotgun for home defense. Something along the lines of a Remington 870.

The shotgun was actually going to be my next gun but with the real threat of Hillary I'm wanting to pick up an AR 15 first.

I'm looking at the m&p II and the Ruger 556. Both seem to have great reviews, seem to be quality entry level guns and are in my price range as I'm not really into tricking out guns either. I think I'd be fine with a single point sling and maybe a flashlight. Phone Post 3.0

Skip the 12 gauge for now. Get the AR. From what reviews I've seen you'll be fine with either the Ruger or Smith & Wesson. If it means anything, I'd do the Smith & Wesson if I did it again.

My buddy has one and he enjoys it, I've got a Daniel Defense Ambush in 5.56. It's basically their hunting setup, it comes in camo. I really want the 300 blackout. They are members of the plantation I guide at so I get a sweet deal on them, I've just been buying too many guns. Just picked up a Benelli Cordoba this week in 20 gauge. Phone Post 3.0