mac hd recovery?

wife's mac laptop fell, screen broke. 

took it to local computer repair business who said they cant recover the data, but a specialty place probably could. i called one near me and they quoted $300-1300 is typical depending on how much work is needed.

anyone know more about this and can chime in? 

If you took it to a place that said they couldn't recover the data then the hard drive is probably damaged and what limited options available to the average joe has failed. Or they are completely inept but while funny it is not very likely. The expensive data recovery places assume the drive is physically damaged and, worst case scenario, will dismantle the drive to get the data.

I'll add a quick lil recovery story of my own. 2TB hard drive containing decades of family memories and so much more died completely on me. It made horrible screeching noises on me when powered and was inaccessible.

I pre-heated my oven to 350F and popped the drive in for 15 minutes-ish, maybe a few more.

I was then able to remove all of my data off the melt your skin off hot drive before it died again.

mada - 
TheVandalz - If you took it to a place that said they couldn't recover the data then the hard drive is probably damaged and what limited options available to the average joe has failed. Or they are completely inept but while funny it is not very likely. The expensive data recovery places assume the drive is physically damaged and, worst case scenario, will dismantle the drive to get the data.

Or they just wanted to plug it into a monitor and make a super easy $300. I'd at least check this out before paying for data recovery. Also, if it does need repaired, in my experience go to a Mac store. They are often cheaper than regular computer stores and if you have it sent off to be fixed they will update other hardware at no additional cost.

Pretty sure they wouldn't send them somewhere else if they just needed to "plug it into a monitor and make a super easy $300" genius.

I'm just gonna privately laugh to myself about suggesting he go to the mac store following implying a place was trying to rip him off.

Sounds like the fall messed up the mechanical reader arm. Those things are deceptively precise and a shock like that can absolutely cause it to fail. Just be glad the disks aren't shattered.

Find a company that only charges you if the data is recovered. Then determine if you need the data back that badly.

Also wtf at Mac store being cheaper?

Enjoy paying double market price cause your new hard drive has an apple sticker on it.

You used to be able to connect one Mac to another (if you have access to another Mac) using a Firewire cable, then hold down the T key while booting up (the machine with the broken monitor) to have the system start like it's a big external disk. The HD on the broken system would show up as a mounted volume on the desktop, which would allow you to retrieve data. Not sure if that works any more as I haven't worked on Mac's for some time.Although if the HD is damaged that won't work obviously.

Moroth - You used to be able to connect one Mac to another (if you have access to another Mac) using a Firewire cable, then hold down the T key while booting up (the machine with the broken monitor) to have the system start like it's a big external disk. The HD on the broken system would show up as a mounted volume on the desktop, which would allow you to retrieve data. Not sure if that works any more as I haven't worked on Mac's for some time.Although if the HD is damaged that won't work obviously.

Target Disk Mode. Google it OP. Pretty easy to do, but you'll need another Mac.

I've recovered the data/fixed MacBooks for so many people after they were quoted hundreds for repair from Apple.

DO NOT PAY that that nonsense - the odds of the HDD being non operational after a fall are low.

What is the age of the MacBook and what happens when you turn it on.

was data backed up to the cloud?

Its 5 years old, data couldnt be read off hdd.

Place that quoted me earlier does a free estimate and i want to bring it to them today since the hdd has our honeymoon pics on it.

The original shop i took it to seemed competent, and also did their diagnosis for free. I didnt get the sense they were inept. They also left the laptop disassembled so i have only the hdd with me to take over

This is the only source of honeymoon pics (why is another story), and its worth it to me to recover them, and then never let only my wife back things up

ranier wolfcastle -

was data backed up to the cloud?

I dont think so

microbiologynerd - Its 5 years old, data couldnt be read off hdd.

Place that quoted me earlier does a free estimate and i want to bring it to them today since the hdd has our honeymoon pics on it.

The original shop i took it to seemed competent, and also did their diagnosis for free. I didnt get the sense they were inept. They also left the laptop disassembled so i have only the hdd with me to take over

This is the only source of honeymoon pics (why is another story), and its worth it to me to recover them, and then never let only my wife back things up

MBN - do you need those honeymoon pics today? Tomorrow? No? Then slow down.

First thing - what happens, exactly, when you power on the computer (Apple logo, Error codes, etc).

Also, is it pretty much guranteed they'll keep copies of any "home movies" ?

microbiologynerd - Also, is it pretty much guranteed they'll keep copies of any "home movies" ?

Keep, i dunno. See, yes. They will see them all ;)

microbiologynerd - Also, is it pretty much guranteed they'll keep copies of any "home movies" ?

they won't keep them, they'll post them on xvideos or something so you can enjoy them

A wise man once told me; if a file doesn't exist in 3 places, it doesn't exist. Always have multiple backups.
Just dropping the computer a few inches is enough to brick a drive

Flyers179 -

First thing - what happens, exactly, when you power on the computer (Apple logo, Error codes, etc).

The laptop is disassembled now. If it were put back together to boot, the screen would be blank due to all the cracks. I dont remember the color of the screen

microbiologynerd -
Flyers179 -

The laptop is disassembled now. If it were put back together to boot, the screen would be blank due to all the cracks. I dont remember the color of the screen

Okay - so the screen isn't functioning at all but the computer is powering on.

I would not take the word of the recovery place. Buy this for $10 and check the hard drive yourself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JQTO8TU/ref=mh_s9_acsd_top_bAqpP1_c_x_2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-11&pf_rd_r=BSH680D433EGSTYKPHTG&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=ae7f9b69-b413-579f-9928-ab946b8972ce&pf_rd_i=160354011