MacBook won't turn on. Help.

Wondering if any of you knew shit about macs.

Basically when I press the power button I can hear it whirr and click. The light comes on where you press to open the MacBook when it's folded shut,but then the light flickers a few times and then the whole thing dies.

Anybody have any ideas?

It's one of these old fuckers from 2008 http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-macbook-pro-2008-edition/

Thanks Phone Post 3.0

Y2K Phone Post 3.0

plug in your power adapter.

crazydave -

plug in your power adapter.

Oh shit. Do you work for Apple?

-_- bruh. Phone Post 3.0

TTT for help Phone Post 3.0

RIP Macbook Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like hard drive has a problem with power

Has happened to me on an external drive before. My drive was fucked. No repair Phone Post 3.0

It sounds like an adapter issue.  There are a lot of different facets to Apple power adapters and so they break easier than other ones; this is to protect the computer and is also why the adapters are more expensive.  Take the computer to your local Apple store and ask to plug it in to their adapters.  If that works, problem solved.  If that's the case, PM me and I will shoot you a link to a 3rd party adapter I'm using now that I can vouch for it working; I have the exact same macbook model as you do.

If that doesnt' work, let us know and there are a few other things we can try (namely holding down some key combinations while turning the macbook on).  Good luck OP.

GoFundMyKickStartPal -

It sounds like an adapter issue.  There are a lot of different facets to Apple power adapters and so they break easier than other ones; this is to protect the computer and is also why the adapters are more expensive.  Take the computer to your local Apple store and ask to plug it in to their adapters.  If that works, problem solved.  If that's the case, PM me and I will shoot you a link to a 3rd party adapter I'm using now that I can vouch for it working; I have the exact same macbook model as you do.

If that doesnt' work, let us know and there are a few other things we can try (namely holding down some key combinations while turning the macbook on).  Good luck OP.

It's a brand new adapter dude which I've used on another MacBook and it works Phone Post 3.0

JZilla - Sounds like hard drive has a problem with power

Has happened to me on an external drive before. My drive was fucked. No repair Phone Post 3.0

In certain models the hard drive cannot be replaced, but that is not the case with this particular model.  It's very, very, very easy, even for someone with 0 technical expertise, to replace the hard drive on this model.  You can get a new SSD hard drive for as little as $40.  

OP if it does turn out to be a hard drive issue I'd be happy to help walking you through replacing it.

I think it could possibly be this. Could that easily be fixed? I've obviously had this for ailing now it's been under my bed untouched for 3 years, Apple won't do shit considering how old it is.

I don't have problem with opening it up and fucking about with it as I have no warranty or anything anymore Phone Post 3.0

GoFundMyKickStartPal -

In certain models the hard drive cannot be replaced, but that is not the case with this particular model.  It's very, very, very easy, even for someone with 0 technical expertise, to replace the hard drive on this model.  You can get a new SSD hard drive for as little as $40.  

OP if it does turn out to be a hard drive issue I'd be happy to help walking you through replacing it.

Dude that would be sweet, the only thing is the only reason I want to get this working again is to access some music I had made on the hard drive. If at the end of this I can't access it its all pointless really Phone Post 3.0

jamesisgod -

I think it could possibly be this. Could that easily be fixed? I've obviously had this for ailing now it's been under my bed untouched for 3 years, Apple won't do shit considering how old it is.

I don't have problem with opening it up and fucking about with it as I have no warranty or anything anymore Phone Post 3.0

Yah man very very very very easy to replace on this model.  Try going here and resetting the NVRAM and SMC first:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2881177/how-to-reset-your-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html

Go through the steps on that website and report back.  If that doesn't work, do you by any chance live near a Fry's Electronics store?  If not the best bet for your price-wise on the replacement hard drive will be Newegg.  Let us know.

Sounds like a battery issue Phone Post 3.0

jamesisgod -
GoFundMyKickStartPal -

Dude that would be sweet, the only thing is the only reason I want to get this working again is to access some music I had made on the hard drive. If at the end of this I can't access it its all pointless really Phone Post 3.0

Understood.  You need to buy something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

If you have a Fry's near you you'll be able to get something similar to that for around the same price.  If not you can order that one for $15 free shipping from Newegg.  Take the hard drive out of your Macbook and use the device to plug it in via USB to another Macbook.  If the hard drive still has the data on it, this will allow you to transfer the files.  Here is a video of how to remove the hard drive.

Only way I can help is by saying get a PC Phone Post 3.0

Stea1th - Sounds like a battery issue Phone Post 3.0
I don't even have a battery in it. Just constantly plugged into power adapter. Used it like this for about a year before it stopped working Phone Post 3.0

GoFundMyKickStartPal -
jamesisgod -
GoFundMyKickStartPal -

If you have a Fry's near you you'll be able to get something similar to that for around the same price.  If not you can order that one for $15 free shipping from Newegg.  Take the hard drive out of your Macbook and use the device to plug it in via USB to another Macbook.  If the hard drive still has the data on it, this will allow you to transfer the files.  Here is a video of how to remove the hard drive.

I live in the UK dude I don't have either of those stores here. I'll watch that and report back. Thanks for the help man. Really appreciate it. If it doesn't work I'll start a gofundme to get me a new Mac ;) Phone Post 3.0

jamesisgod -
GoFundMyKickStartPal -
jamesisgod -
GoFundMyKickStartPal -

I live in the UK dude I don't have either of those stores here. I'll watch that and report back. Thanks for the help man. Really appreciate it. If it doesn't work I'll start a gofundme to get me a new Mac ;) Phone Post 3.0

Haha no worries at all.  If you take that link to your local computer/tech store they should have something similar.  You can either use the SATA to USB 2.0 adapter that I linked there, or you can also use a SATA to USB 2.5" enclosure.  Both options are inexpensive and after watching that video you'll see how to remove the hard drive.  You'll need to plug whichever solution you're using into another mac, or if you don't have one available and you only have PCs around you can download a program called "TransMac" that will allow your PC to read Mac hard drives and files.

Good luck OP!

The NVRAM and SMC thing doesn't work. It doesn't get far enough to turn on to even hear the chime. If it's power to the hard drive that's the issue could I not just fix that some how? Or does that mean the HD is dead? Phone Post 3.0