Machida's account of Negotiations with UFC

Quote:
Lyoto Machida considered taking a short-notice fight, but he wasn’t going to do it for cheap.

Speaking exclusively to Sherdog.com on Thursday, Machida confirmed UFC President Dana White’s claim that Machida wanted “Anderson Silva money” to rematch Rashad Evans at UFC 133.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion revealed that while he wanted to accept the Aug. 6 fight at first, he later thought better of entering the matchup on only three weeks’ notice.

“I wanted a guarantee to fight [Evans at UFC 133],” said Machida. “My manager, ‘Joinha’ [Jorge Guimaraes], called me and I said at first that I was excited to be in the lineup. But, after meeting with my team, we saw that it wouldn’t be a good idea, especially because Dana White wanted me to travel to the U.S. immediately to have my training camp there. Many of the members of my corner don’t have visas right now. Then, I said, ‘If you want me to fight, pay me as a champion. Pay me like you pay Anderson Silva.’”

Machida, who is recovering from a minor elbow injury suffered in training, instead traveled to the beaches of upstate Rio de Janeiro for a family vacation. The 33-year-old asserted that he risked endangering his career by entering ill-prepared against Evans, whom Machida knocked out in May 2009.

“A man approaches you wanting to buy your house, but you don’t want to sell it,” said Machida. “So, then you ask for a higher price. You want it? Then pay what I’m asking. I can’t put my career at risk with a bad showing. I think I’d have more to lose than to win in that fight. I have a name in the company. I don’t fight without being prepared, even when I lose. I can’t step in and take the chance of having a bad fight. Today, you have to be extremely prepared.”

Machida added that he believed Evans’ original opponent, unbeaten prospect Phil Davis, was nearly cleared to compete after suffering a knee injury.

“Joinha called me, saying they’ve offered me the fight, and then called back later saying it wouldn’t be necessary anymore because Phil Davis got cleared to fight. Then, I traveled to the beach with my family and the negotiations reopened.”

During a Thursday media conference call, White expressed his shock at Machida’s salary request, stating that the ex-champ had already agreed to fight before demanding more money. However, the UFC head claimed the situation will not harm future negotiations between the parties, something which Machida hopes to be true.

“If I’m requested [to fight] in a different way from now on, OK,” said Machida. “It’s not like I can’t train in Belem, but ‘pack your stuff and go to the U.S.,’ that takes money and time. It’s a professional relationship. Everything is business and people need to split things. I hope the UFC won’t harm me. It’s gotta be 100-percent with me and them. I want to respect the promotion, my fans and myself. That was my main cause for turning down that fight.”

I can understand where Lyoto is coming from now. Dana White may have over-reacted to that "Anderson Silva money" buzzword. But Lyoto's manager should have also worded it differently as well.

And as usual Dana will consider this a slight and try to sit Lyoto out. Too emotional.

This doesn't help Machida at all, he basically confirmed everything Dana said.

Machida accepted the fight and then later tried to back out and demand more money.

Then, I said, ‘If you want me to fight, pay me as a champion. Pay me like you pay Anderson Silva.’”

So much for all those Lyoto defenders who were saying, "He would never do that. It must have been his sleazy manager."  Makes Machida look terrible.

I still hope to see that fight down the road sometime, and I hope this doesn't affect his status with Dana. He's good for the UFC.

If you take a fight on 3 weeks notice risking your career you deserve to get paid. He doesn't need to take the fight, he owes Dana jack shit. I know you all see Dana as this overlord where fighters need to kiss the ring to keep their job, but some fighters actually stick up for themselves.

Darup -  This doesn't help Machida at all, he basically confirmed everything Dana said.

Machida accepted the fight and then later tried to back out and demand more money.

He never confirmed. UFC gave him 24 hr to decide and Machida ultimately turned it down.

Say what you will, but I think Machida made the right choice here. The fact that I and 95% of UG think he can beat Evans again in rematch is a moot point.
He is coming off of 1-2 in last 3 fights (including bs loss to Rampage). Some will even think of him as 1-3 in last 4 fights (controversial shogun fight).
If he takes this fight in short notice and loses, then he will be 1-3 or 1-4. The fact that Machida stepped up to save the event at last minute may not be long lived if he loses. That's the way blaf operates. I think he had more to lose than actual gain from taking this fight.

Of course he made the right choice. You don't take a fight with a guy like Rashad on three weeks notice, (unless you're trying to make a name for yourself with a lottery win over a much better known fighter).

Never mind that you need to go easy the last week, which makes for two weeks to prepare, and never mind that you likely need to drop a stack of weight.

At the level Machida is fighting on, he needs to put in 100% performances. You can't do that on 10% preparation.

whytetittie - Dana white is a prick

not sure if serious. But one thing's for sure. Managers have to carefully craft what they are going to say on behalf of their fighters, because Dana is an emotional dude.

Fighters need to fight.. can't stand all the dick tucking going on these days.

According to White, Machida had been bugging him about getting him another fight and wanted to fight again as soon as possible after the Couture win. So what does Machida say about that?

So what if it is 3 weeks notice? Did you guys complain for the fighters in Pride if they had to fight twice in one night against an opponent they didn't know who they would be fighting and wouldn't have much time to prepare for?

Machida gets a chance to fight a guy he already smashed before. A win puts him right back in line for a title shot which should be Machida's goal.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have negotiated for a higher price. But they shouldn't have asked for Anderson Silva money right off the bat. Like Georgeous George says, don't go out throwing a 105 mph fastball right off the bat.

he made the right choice

as did tito, originally

props to tito for stepping up in the end, though I would have much rather seen machida/rashad 2 than tito/rashad 2

I think after the latest Zuffa firing and the more energy being put into drug testing. That more fighters will turn down short notice fights.

No I am not talking about roid use even. The list of substances could be very long if they are in fact starting a better testing regime.

TheVileOne - According to White, Machida had been bugging him about getting him another fight and wanted to fight again as soon as possible after the Couture win. So what does Machida say about that?

So what if it is 3 weeks notice? Did you guys complain for the fighters in Pride if they had to fight twice in one night against an opponent they didn't know who they would be fighting and wouldn't have much time to prepare for?

Machida gets a chance to fight a guy he already smashed before. A win puts him right back in line for a title shot which should be Machida's goal.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have negotiated for a higher price. But they shouldn't have asked for Anderson Silva money right off the bat. Like Georgeous George says, don't go out throwing a 105 mph fastball right off the bat.

Dude do you think these guys are machines that train 24/7 and have no life to enjoy or care about?

He's coming off an injury and hasn't trained at all and you expect him to fight Rashad on 3 weeks notice for some retards' amusement that will start booing the second he doesn't stand & wang?

Yeah...still not seeing why such a big deal is being made about something as remedial and as common as a contract negotiation breaking down.

ABE FROMAN - And as usual Dana will consider this a slight and try to sit Lyoto out. Too emotional.
Petty fat roided out president on an ego trip is petty fat and roided out.

"I think after the latest Zuffa firing and the more energy being put into drug testing. That more fighters will turn down short notice fights.

No I am not talking about roid use even. The list of substances could be very long if they are in fact starting a better testing regime."

Although I dont think that had aything to do with this situation, I am sure there are quite a few fighters who use banned substances. Like you said it isnt just roids, but I am sure painkiller use is quite common along with other banned substances.

LOL at all the people that claimed that the article was made up or Dana White was lying.

I'd bet ore guys would step up on short notice if the UFC were a little more relaxed about cutting people.