Machida's Upcoming Book! (PICS)

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k142/brr9q/VICTORY_BELT/MACHIDA-Trip-1.jpg

At first glance at this pic I though Machida was using his super fast Karate to demonstrate both the offensive and defensive portion of the move at the same time.

"has he even ever used these techniques in mma?"

I can't remember if he has done the upward elbow, but the other ones. Plenty.

TTT

Damn you Victory Belt, making all these awesome books.

Getting hard to afford rent.

Sweep the leg, Johnny!!!

Some karate buff here (ie not me) should make UFC gifs/pics next to each one of these for comparison, like a look-alike contest type thing.

Fedor's book http://www.amazon.com/Fedor-Fighting-System-Worlds-Undisputed/dp/0977731545/ref=pd_ys_home_pop_title

The Benefactor let's leave Tim Sylvia out of this please ;)

CDarwin these pics might be slightly deceiving given that that he's wearing a gi in all of them and performing 'TMA' moves... these just happened to be the pics I got on my computer (from early on in the shoot) and I believe most of the pics are no gi and wearing MMA gloves. Again the book will cover his entire game, which obviously involves other key arts of MMA; it will be unique to his approach and his skills though, and that's what will make his book different than all others :)

LOL LIGHTWEIHTCHAMP that rolling pin would kick your bitch ass!

LMAO Erich is an undefeated pro kickboxer... putting in a few more hours of tetherball each day isn't going to help you :)

The guy beats a fighter with 2 wins and suddenly he's everyone's favorite fighter. Lordy.

Wow great post shadallion, you sound like a brilliant student of MMA and true fan

wow, awesome!!

"The guy beats a fighter with 2 wins and suddenly he's everyone's favorite
fighter. Lordy."

Are u talking about Machida? The guy who stopped Franklin, Bonnar, and
Soko? Who dominated Nakamura, Heath and Hogar?

I think this is awesome. Goes to show that physical attributes really matter. Karate can be good if you know how to make it work for you.

Soko definately earned his spot in the UFC, but you can't really tell all that much of a fighter from two quick KOs, even if it is against top contenders. (And no, I wasn't on the Sokowagon before the last UFC.)

Machida looked solid, but it is not like he stopped someone that had really proven himself in that one.

I'm wondering how much of his success that can be attributed to the novelty of his style? Just maybe it's a bit like fighting a southpaw, someone extremely tall or similar. It's harder to prepare for, but if he cintues to succeed, I'm sure his opponents will have to adapt better sooner or later.

What I like the most about him is that he works his counter strategy perfectly, but can switch mode to light-him-up offense whenever he needs to. I can watch a technical, defensive fighter all day if I know it is an ongoing tactical choice, rather than a passive mindset.

I for one was really impressed with Lyoto. He doesn't utilize five strike combinations like many fighters, rather moves in at opportune moments, lands one or two very hard blows,and then moves out of range before he gets hit with counter punches. Of course he blends many other styles into his game, but karate is where he gets his movement and power. . . I have worked with a lot of fighters now, and the material he put forth is very impressive.

LOL at rolling pin arms. I've always been more of a kicker, anyhow.

I was also very, very impressed with Ruledog. He showed up to the shoot with a green screen, great equipment, and an awesome attitude. He also took some of the best photos I have seen. Everything the guy touches, he makes perfect. So, thanks mma.tv for putting us in touch with him.

I agree, but I think boxers spend a lot more time in the pocket. Lyoto uses these weird movements to fake his opponents out from the outside, then covers a sizable amount of distance in a flash, and then moves out at an odd angle to prevent his opponent from retaliating. Very unusual, but highly effective.

"i think boxing/dirty boxing skills are looked past in mma"

Even more so back when headbutts were allowed. sigh

Regardless, I find it refreshingly odd that people aren't claiming that Machida's standup is in not heavily influenced by karate, but rather a boxing/MT labeled something else. This would normally be the UG script to follow, and this argument would sometimes be valid, but not in Machida's case. (Cf Chuck-Kenpo, etc, etc...)