Mackenzie Dern - Will she succeed in the UFC?

She has subpar striking, a low level of wrestling, and was primarily a guard player in her jiu jitsu career, so I'm betting on her squeaking past the lowest tier of competition before getting shut down at the mid/higher tier when she can't just impose her will.

Unless she substantially works on her boxing and clinch work the answer is def no.  She at least isn't leading w her chin like she used to but she needs to get comfortable boxing and get better at clinch work.  As girls aren't going to go to the ground w her and higher level opponents will have much better counter wresting than what she has been going up against in mma.

Everyone talks all day everyday about how low level women’s MMA is and then we are going to be hyper critical of Dern? She’ll be fine. She’s not on the fast track for a title shot, let her fight and improve.

Her striking isn’t fully developed, but she’s willing to stand and throw. She’s a high level grappler on the ground so she can improve her wrestling fairly quickly. 

The first 13 1/2 minutes of the fight she was looking lack luster, but in the 3rd when she got the take down it was like she came alive and we saw a glimmer of a killer. 

Needs to work on her English if she wants to gain more American fans.

Seats Taken -

Everyone talks all day everyday about how low level women’s MMA is and then we are going to be hyper critical of Dern? She’ll be fine. She’s not on the fast track for a title shot, let her fight and improve.

Her striking isn’t fully developed, but she’s willing to stand and throw. She’s a high level grappler on the ground so she can improve her wrestling fairly quickly. 

The first 13 1/2 minutes of the fight she was looking lack luster, but in the 3rd when she got the take down it was like she came alive and we saw a glimmer of a killer. 

Interesting take. 

"Her striking isn't good, but she stands and throws"

Sounds like a recipe for success.

"she can improve her wrestling fairly quickly"

Then why hasn't she? In fact, which jiu jitsu champions have been known for their wrestling prowess? Demian Maia (to a degree).

With good looks, nice tots, and a thick ass...probably.

Her grappling might be the best in WMMA. She will adjust to MMA and will do fine. I see her like Demian Maia. She will eventually be top five and even get title shots. Right now, she’s not ready for the top girls (Gadelha, Esparza, Joanna, Andrade...). 

She needs good wrestling far more than good striking.

Dern vs Magaña for the interim title

Nope.

Negative for me 

wrestling is too weak

i don’t think she can progress far enough to compete at the highest level...

the thought of her against JJ or rose is laughable in any reasonable time frame 

kennyfrommd -
Seats Taken -

Interesting take. 

"Her striking isn't good, but she stands and throws"

Sounds like a recipe for success.

"she can improve her wrestling fairly quickly"

Then why hasn't she? In fact, which jiu jitsu champions have been known for their wrestling prowess? Demian Maia (to a degree).

Yes, it is a recipe for success. She’s not scared to strike. That’s a HUGE problem with grapplers in MMA when they start out, she can take a hit and not wilt away. She can develop more technical striking and can improve. She has the resources and she isn’t just blitzing for the takedown. She hasn’t ran into anyone she couldn’t take down easily before. Now she knows that she needs to level up her wrestling or atleast start using the cage more than shooting on open canvas. 

She had lots of flaws but it was all stuff that she can work on and improve. Her overall gameplan was fine. She just needs to work on cleaning it up and developing more as an MMA fighter. 

The UFC used to be for the highest calibre fighters.

It is no longer that elite level.

So sure, she belongs there just as much as any other fighter I guess.

However, I cannot see her advancing and if she does it's because of the lack of depth.

It’s a fairly shallow division below Rose, Joanna & Gadelha. I wouldn’t bet against her being able to pull off wins against the likes of Esparza & Penne right now, let alone once she gets more experience. Be interesting to see if they rush her to big fights, I think Herrig would be a really interesting one, but Felice is on a roll and it’d be a big risk for her 

Dreville79 -

It’s a fairly shallow division below Rose, Joanna & Gadelha. I wouldn’t bet against her being able to pull off wins against the likes of Esparza & Penne right now, let alone once she gets more experience. Be interesting to see if they rush her to big fights, I think Herrig would be a really interesting one, but Felice is on a roll and it’d be a big risk for her 

How on earth is she going to beat Esparza? With her elite level wrestling she’ll just take Carla right down and submit her?

lol

lol no she's terrible. she's not athetlic at all. her tits are too big and her ass is too fat. a woman like that is meant to have kids not fight.

probably never be champion but she will stick around because the talent pool in WMMA is thimble deep.

at this rate besides cyborg i feel that almost any athletic female who doesnt shy away from a punch has about a 50/50 chance of winning a UFC fight against anyone in the division outside of the top 10.

honestly Felice would destroy her without a second thought

JustAnotherMMAFan -

Her grappling might be the best in WMMA. She will adjust to MMA and will do fine. I see her like Demian Maia. She will eventually be top five and even get title shots. Right now, she’s not ready for the top girls (Gadelha, Esparza, Joanna, Andrade...). 

Not sure if joking...