Mackenzie Dern - Will she succeed in the UFC?

A good striker/takedown defense fighter will light her sweet ass up...

Nah. From her interviews it sounds like she doesn’t want to stay in MMA for too long. I think she has this image she’s going to come in and dominate, win the belt quick, and ride off into the sunset… and that just ain’t gonna happen. She has too many holes, and I’m not sure she’s gonna stick around if she starts taking some losses. WMMA is super thin, but even still give her a top 15 girl and see what happens. JoJo is #13 and I think she’d beat Dern down.

JustAnotherMMAFan -

Her grappling might be the best in WMMA. She will adjust to MMA and will do fine. I see her like Demian Maia. She will eventually be top five and even get title shots. Right now, she’s not ready for the top girls (Gadelha, Esparza, Joanna, Andrade...). 

Maia and Dern come from entirely different jiu-jitsu eras. The styles Era to Era are very different. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it won't be easy. And Maia really immersed himself in wrestling to a level which is uncommon for jiu-jitsu players. 

One thing I've noticed is that men LOVE to be hyper critical of Mackenzie, and it's probably becuase she's a woman.  

Maybe in the women's UFC when it gets moved out on its own.

Mr Spliff - 

Needs to work on her English if she wants to gain more American fans.

nice

livelaughlove - 

lol no she's terrible. she's not athetlic at all. her tits are too big and her ass is too fat. a woman like that is meant to have kids not fight.

More or less this, she’s just not athletic. Women CAN be athletic for sure, just not her.

JustAnotherMMAFan - 

Her grappling might be the best in WMMA. She will adjust to MMA and will do fine. I see her like Demian Maia. She will eventually be top five and even get title shots. Right now, she’s not ready for the top girls (Gadelha, Esparza, Joanna, Andrade...). 

Maia has excellent takedowns, Dern struggled for 15 mins to take down a bjj purple belt and only got 1 late in the fight. And she didn’t exactly look good in her TD attempts either, it’s not like people were wowed by Yoder’s TD defence.

Easters - 

One thing I've noticed is that men LOVE to be hyper critical of Mackenzie, and it's probably becuase she's a woman.  

She’s the most hyped WMMA prospect since Rousey, and she talks like becoming a champ is a foregone conclusion. So yea when you someone that hyped puts out a stinker performance like that they’re gonna get some critics. And the whole language nonsense didn’t help either.

she has the will to win and her competition sucks, so yes i can see her winning the title in a couple of years

Easters -

yes probably, so what?

She needs Edmund to work on her boxing.

Look at the wonder that he did for Ronda's career.

Mix6APlix -

With good looks, nice tots, and a thick ass...probably.

She does not have good looks, she has a nice body, and wears makeup.

One of the biggest red flags that I see is how she spoke in her post fight interview.  Basically saying that she didn't want to get a submission early so she could show her striking skills.  All of those sloppy failed takedown attempts don't support this.  Is there a wrestling coach with a mouth and training ability like Edmond that's in her ear?

Easters -

You’re an idiot.

As are most people with this lame blanket opinion.

Ok, I've changed my opinion a bit.  She's a bit more humble and much more articulate when speaking Portuguese.  Still very confident, but not as oblivious as she sometimes appeared.

Whambo -
JustAnotherMMAFan - 

Maia has excellent takedowns, Dern struggled for 15 mins to take down a bjj purple belt and only got 1 late in the fight. And she didn’t exactly look good in her TD attempts either, it’s not like people were wowed by Yoder’s TD defence.

Maia has been training specifically for MMA for like 15 years and is literally 40 years old.  Dern has been training for two years and is 24.  Comparing them is insane.  Comparing them is juvenile.

She does have a lot of hype behind her.  A lot of that is basically the entire BJJ community is behind her because of her world and ADCC titles.  Not exactly her fault, although she does seem to like the attention on instagram.  It's a huge help that she speaks fluent English (in before accent jokes) and Portugese, because she has fans in Brazil and the US.  Probably a lot in Europe too as she won the Europeans like 100 times.

In short, she's an insanely accomplished martial artist with endless potential and time on her side, but you all act like she bullied your dog.  Lame.  

kennyfrommd -
Seats Taken -

Everyone talks all day everyday about how low level women’s MMA is and then we are going to be hyper critical of Dern? She’ll be fine. She’s not on the fast track for a title shot, let her fight and improve.

Her striking isn’t fully developed, but she’s willing to stand and throw. She’s a high level grappler on the ground so she can improve her wrestling fairly quickly. 

The first 13 1/2 minutes of the fight she was looking lack luster, but in the 3rd when she got the take down it was like she came alive and we saw a glimmer of a killer. 

Interesting take. 

"Her striking isn't good, but she stands and throws"

Sounds like a recipe for success.

"she can improve her wrestling fairly quickly"

Then why hasn't she? In fact, which jiu jitsu champions have been known for their wrestling prowess? Demian Maia (to a degree).

Nah, he never had good wrestling and surly wasnt known for his wrestling until moving to a smaller division where he had a strenght and weight advantage.  he couldnt get mario miranda down ffs

Easters -
Whambo -
JustAnotherMMAFan - 

Maia has been training specifically for MMA for like 15 years and is literally 40 years old.  Dern has been training for two years and is 24.  Comparing them is insane.  Comparing them is juvenile.

She does have a lot of hype behind her.  A lot of that is basically the entire BJJ community is behind her because of her world and ADCC titles.  Not exactly her fault, although she does seem to like the attention on instagram.  It's a huge help that she speaks fluent English (in before accent jokes) and Portugese, because she has fans in Brazil and the US.  Probably a lot in Europe too as she won the Europeans like 100 times.

In short, she's an insanely accomplished martial artist with endless potential and time on her side, but you all act like she bullied your dog.  Lame.  

its not a joke that she needs a translator to translate her fake broken accent. its heinous to anyone who has any hopes for the trajectory of humanity.

She explained the translator thing at the press conference.  She said that she was confused that the UFC brought him in, but assumed that her interview would be in English and that the translator would then translate to Portuguese for her fans in Brazil.  But the translator, Joe Rogan, and her were not all on the same page.