Magic the Gathering Arena

Soul Gravy - Also, re: the mana situation. Somehow my opponents NEVER seen to run into mana problems. Given that I almost never have a mana decent game, obviously it's not affecting everyone equally. Would not surprised me if it wasn't influenced by how much you spend in their store.

How many lands do you typically run in a 60-card deck? I've found that Arena seems to have some sort of algorithm or formula based on your mana curve.

As an example, there's a known RDW exploit where you play a mono-red Cavalcade of Calamity deck with only like 13 lands. You almost ALWAYS will start with 1-2 Mountains, sometimes 3.

Khun Kao - 
Soul Gravy - Also, re: the mana situation. Somehow my opponents NEVER seen to run into mana problems. Given that I almost never have a mana decent game, obviously it's not affecting everyone equally. Would not surprised me if it wasn't influenced by how much you spend in their store.

How many lands do you typically run in a 60-card deck? I've found that Arena seems to have some sort of algorithm or formula based on your mana curve.

As an example, there's a known RDW exploit where you play a mono-red Cavalcade of Calamity deck with only like 13 lands. You almost ALWAYS will start with 1-2 Mountains, sometimes 3.

24 lands in a 60 card deck. I even went to 26 (putting the total at 62 cards) with the same result.

And I was unaware of the exploit. Before I quit playing previously I was running a mono-red aggro deck and still never got any mana. Whatever I started with in my hand was usually what I ended the game with.

Soul Gravy - 
Khun Kao - 

24 lands in a 60 card deck. I even went to 26 (putting the total at 62 cards) with the same result.

And I was unaware of the exploit. Before I quit playing previously I was running a mono-red aggro deck and still never got any mana. Whatever I started with in my hand was usually what I ended the game with.

That shit's crazy. It's probably my biggest issue with gameplay... the shuffler fucking sucks. Apart from the Land issue you mention (which is the #1 issue), another issue I constantly encounter is what I refer to as "card clumping"... I have 4 copies of a card... I'll start with 2 of them in my hand, then draw into the other 2 within 5 or 6 turns. Or, I used to try and use that card Mystic Sanctuary. That card is only good if you already have another 3 or 4 Islands in play. ALWAYS in my opening hand, so I'd be forced to play it too early to use it's mechanic.

I keep slogging along with the game simply because I have nothing better to do. I rarely get to play IRL, plus the games are typically fast enough that if I have 15 minutes to kill, I can get in 2-3 quick matches, usually.

But as I've been saying for a long time, most days I simply log on for about 30-40 minutes before work to complete my daily quests.

The issue you're having I think is that you lack the cards to compete.  There are 24 rare/ mythic land cards (pathways and triomes) that make mana fixing fairly easy, plus fabled passage (which is a fetch land).

As for cards like questing beast...you're not wrong.

The truth is the metagame almost requires that you play certain cards/decks if you want to hang with the best decks, and due to the Internet lots of people have those decks.

It sucks, because I prefer to play jank, but having a deck that's unprepared to stop the current meta means you're going to lose a lot.

Also, fuck ugin

Ugin is a great example of a card that should have never been printed.

There are soooo many cards that should have never seen the light of day....

Ugin
Oko
Fires of Invention
Nexus of Fate

I'm a dedicated "jank" player myself and it can be so hard to enjoy the game. I have to play removal-heavy jank, which doesn't always work out right because you have to have a bunch of removal in your deck just to HOPE that you can keep your opponent at bay long enough for your jank strategy to start working....

That said, I'm pretty pleased with my most recent deck.

Athreos, Shroud-Veiled
Kaya the Inexorable
Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
Draugr Necromancer

Then a number of legendary cards (Daxos, Helios, Arvad, Elenda, and a shit-ton of removal spells focusing on board sweeps.

I have good runs & bad runs with this deck. I'll go on a little tear, winning a few games in a row, having some really fun back-n-forth battles with my opponents, then I'll have a losing streak. I played at lunch today and went 0-4 (but this morning before work I went 2-1).

I'm mostly okay with losing as long as my deck appears to be challenging my opponent. But when they start dropping Jace, Kasimaya, Teferi, and Ugin back to fucking back... fuck that, I'm out!

Question from a noob.

I literally just created a mono red deck the other day, but now embercleave and bonecrusher giant are fucking banned or something?

Do I get extra wildcards for all the shit they ban?

Otherwise I spent 4 mythic rare wildcards on 4 embercleaves that are now unplayable.

Brockback Mountain - 

Question from a noob.

I literally just created a mono red deck the other day, but now embercleave and bonecrusher giant are fucking banned or something?

Otherwise I spent 4 mythic rare wildcards on 4 embercleaves that are now unplayable.

Sounds like you're playing in "Standard" mode, which is the default mode. You have to choose to play Historic to use those cards. They're not banned, they've just cycled out of the current "Standard" rotation.

Khun Kao - There are soooo many cards that should have never seen the light of day....

Ugin
Oko
Fires of Invention
Nexus of Fate

I'm a dedicated "jank" player myself and it can be so hard to enjoy the game. I have to play removal-heavy jank, which doesn't always work out right because you have to have a bunch of removal in your deck just to HOPE that you can keep your opponent at bay long enough for your jank strategy to start working....

Athreos, Shroud-Veiled
Kaya the Inexorable
Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
Draugr Necromancer

Then a number of legendary cards (Daxos, Helios, Arvad, Elenda, and a shit-ton of removal spells focusing on board sweeps.

I have good runs & bad runs with this deck. I'll go on a little tear, winning a few games in a row, having some really fun back-n-forth battles with my opponents, then I'll have a losing streak. I played at lunch today and went 0-4 (but this morning before work I went 2-1).

I'm mostly okay with losing as long as my deck appears to be challenging my opponent. But when they start dropping Jace, Kasimaya, Teferi, and Ugin back to fucking back... fuck that, I'm out!

They should really amend the rules to limit the total amount of rares and mythics in decks if they're going to make all of them OP.

Soul Gravy - 
Khun Kao - There are soooo many cards that should have never seen the light of day....

Ugin
Oko
Fires of Invention
Nexus of Fate

Athreos, Shroud-Veiled
Kaya the Inexorable
Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
Draugr Necromancer

They should really amend the rules to limit the total amount of rares and mythics in decks if they're going to make all of them OP.

Let's be honest.... that would cut down on profits

Khun Kao -
Brockback Mountain - 

Question from a noob.

Sounds like you're playing in "Standard" mode, which is the default mode. You have to choose to play Historic to use those cards. They're not banned, they've just cycled out of the current "Standard" rotation.

Cleave and bone crusher are both standard legal. Eldraine hasn't rotated. 

madmartigan - 
Khun Kao -
Brockback Mountain - 

Question from a noob.

Ah, it may be due to an event Brokeback was playing in, then. For certain events, there are cards that are banned from the event itself.

That's my next best guess, anyway....

Khun Kao -
madmartigan - 
Khun Kao -
Brockback Mountain - 

Question from a noob.

Ah, it may be due to an event Brokeback was playing in, then. For certain events, there are cards that are banned from the event itself.

That's my next best guess, anyway....

Probably right. I can't think of another reason. 

Man, I think it’s been months now since I last played. Perhaps I should update and see what’s going on.

I actually started getting back into a MUD (Aardwolf) a bit ago, and that’s been my main nerd fix now. Some of you might know what I’m talking about.

The new Strixhaven set looks DOPE! Plus, a number of “vintage” cards are being re-released in this set, both IRL & on Arena… cards such as:

Counterspell
Dark Ritual
Demonic Tutor
Lightning Bolt

…and the new art for these cards is really fucking cool! I want to collect them IRL simply to add to my collection!

So, I actually got together with some friends on Friday Night to play Magic for real! My heart is breaking because my Graveyard deck simply isn’t performing. It’s my favorite deck, but it simply hasn’t been working. I’m considering de-constructing it to create a Commander/EDH deck with it instead.

So after a couple of games where my Graveyard deck failed, my friends challenged me to play something more “aggressive”. So I broke out my Landfall deck and curb-stomped the ever loving shit out of them even though they did manage to remove “Ob Nixilis, the Fallen” early in the game. I had him at 6/6 and decided to attack. My opponent only had a 3/2 creature on the board, but he played Giant Growth on him so they killed each other…

So then I resorted to Oran-Rief Hydras and steamrolled.

What ranked tier are you fag(s) getting to

Is this the same magic that you can get in the beta version on android?

It just recently became available and I’m just not gonna go back to the start of this thread to aee

I’ve been consistently in Platinum Tier since early last year

Should be. It’s finally available on iPhone as well. I prefer playing on PC though