Magnus Carlsen on Netflix

It made me realize I suck at chess. But I'd recommend it. Very interesting documentary.

Will check this out. What's it called?

It's called "Magnus", although it's also listed as "Magnus Carlsen".

In not super into chess, but I found it very interesting.

TheBearStare - Will check this out. What's it called?

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeznuts

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it.

With a name like that he can probably deadlift 700 without training. 

FedorFan5000 -

With a name like that he can probably deadlift 700 without training. 

hahaha

Love chess. Fan of magnus. Thought the doc was boring. Fell asleep.

myersei - Love chess. Fan of magnus. Thought the doc was boring. Fell asleep.
Really?

Maybe because I pretty much know nothing about the world of chess, I found it very interesting.

If you're a fan of chess, can you explain:

Why a draw is sometimes good for one player and not the other?

Also, was the last dude Adnan (?) allowed to use a computer to play? I didn't understand that part at all.

Watching him on youtube whip up on the brothas who think they know how to place chess in the city is entertaining. Doubt I could watch a whole doc on him though.

Hashtag -
myersei - Love chess. Fan of magnus. Thought the doc was boring. Fell asleep.
Really?

Maybe because I pretty much know nothing about the world of chess, I found it very interesting.

If you're a fan of chess, can you explain:

Why a draw is sometimes good for one player and not the other?

Also, was the last dude Adnan (?) allowed to use a computer to play? I didn't understand that part at all.
A draw is equal pts to both players. Since its a race to 6.5 points over a max of 12 games the player thats ahead is closer to 6.5 and keeps the same point advantage over his opponent. Essentially, if youre behind, a draw doesnt help you get ahead.

No, Vishy wasnt allowed to ise a computer in regulation play. He just uses them a lot in practice and in studying his opponents games so he can analyze weeknesses.

Most people dont and frankly really cant realize the level of play GMs play at. They are looking at scores of outcomes from any particular move, many of which theyve studied years ago. Magnus mentions in the film that he's always working on fragments of games. Hes always crunching out problems. Guys at that level are beyond geniuses in chess. Often, they cant do much else and are kind of worthless to society (Bobby Fischer is a prime example). They are mental freaks.

that bobby fischer doco was brilliant i thought ^

ABCTT_delinodeshields - that bobby fischer doco was brilliant i thought ^
Yeah, i liked it too. There are two other good chess movies, one is searching for bobby fischer and the other is called bobby fischer vs or against the world i think. The second had toby mcguire in it. He was a weird dude and a pretty much an asshole.