Maia

tafkas no plans to move to the usa yet.  He is a Sao Paulo boy!  ill let you all know when he is coming to US for training and seminars though.

Love to see him against McDonald next.

They're just going to feed him to Silva too early, like they did with Marquardt. That way even once they hit their prime, Dana can say "Silva already beat them."

That was a hell of a submission last night. How the hell did he get Herman in that position??

ttt

His DVD set is amazing by the way!!

Marquardt was a seasoned vet when they fought. He was the Pancrase champ for a while and slapping bitches in that org.

grafzep - Love to see him against McDonald next.

I agree, this should be his next fight.

Like a lot of people I hope that they don't rush him. I want to see if he can stand up at all and I would like to see him get tested in a fight before hes in there with the champ, you don't want any surprises when the time comes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vxoj5VcjDUU

This is Maia vs. Marcelo Garcia in a BJJ tourney.  Marcelo won this match but I think Maia beat him as brown belts.  Not 100% sure on that though.  Not sure how many matches they've had against each other.  Never heard of Maia going against Renzo though.  I need to go look and see who Maia had beaten at ADCC.

Maia needs to improve his cardio and overall conditioning for an MMA fight and when he does, skys the limit.  The dude is a beast on the mat and it's great that he's with the UFC. 

"They shouldn't rush him. God, please don't rush him."

Agreed. I really like Maia, because his my sensei and all, but he needs time and experience before facing the top dogs. If he could get couple of competitive fights this year under his belt and some time to improve his striking and cardio, I think he would ready for top 5 guys next year. Maybe for the next fight he should have a 8-10 week training camp in the States with some great wrestlers to really push his cardio.

I am going to disagree Dallas. I would say a dominant striker with a GREAT takedown defense makes for a dangerous opponent for anyone including a bjj blackbelt. Then again a punchers chance is more probable then someone falling into a lucky submission. Infact I dont think there is such a thing as a lucky submission. That would be one hell of an excuse for losing. "He was trying to punch me and accidently put me in a kimura." vs "I closed my eyes and swung for the fences and caught him". Easy answer there.
-Derek-

^but you didn't, therefore it is a fail.

[quote]Quadzilla7 - His DVD set is amazing by the way!![/quote]
Quadzilla beat me to it

Give the guy a little time to work his way up before saying he should fight Hendo, Ace or Silva. His grappling is crazy but it's still too early for that. Putting him in there with a top contender already would be the wrong thing for an incredibly promising fighter. Give him 3-4 more fights to work his way up and prepare.