Main reason why Jordan > Wilt (Video evidence)

Wilt Chamblerain came into the league when basketball was in it's infant stages.  

The first basketball league was established in 1946.  Wilt’s first year in the NBA was 1959.  

Do you think basketball didn’t evolve much from Wilt’s generation to Jordan’s generation?

Because in my opinion, the game evolved drastically from when Wilt played to when Jordan played. 

When Wilt played, players would dribble and pass the ball after 2-3 steps.  That was for good reason though.  That’s because back then, players were only skilled enough to dribble with ONE HAND, their dominant hand. 

Can anyoneo= here tell me that this type of basketball could still be just as efficient in today’s game, given the same rules of 1959?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1TdptecUnk

Wilt also has the 2nd worst free throw percentage in history, you can't be the GOAT and be one of the worst at anything.

Also, it would be confusing as hell playing on that court. 

D241 -

Wilt Chamblerain came into the league when basketball was in it's infant stages.  

The first basketball league was established in 1946.  Wilt’s first year in the NBA was 1959.  

Do you think basketball didn’t evolve much from Wilt’s generation to Jordan’s generation?

Because in my opinion, the game evolved drastically from when Wilt played to when Jordan played. 

When Wilt played, players would dribble and pass the ball after 2-3 steps.  That was for good reason though.  That’s because back then, players were only skilled enough to dribble with ONE HAND, their dominant hand. 

Can anyoneo= here tell me that this type of basketball could still be just as efficient in today’s game, given the same rules of 1959?  

Dude. If you don’t think the game has evolved from 1984 to 2020 then I don’t know what to say. 

Do you think the game stopped evolving in 1998 when Jordan retired… and for the last 22 years nothing has changed?

this might be the worst argument I’ve ever heard. 

By your metrics Steph curry is better than mj because he can shoot 3’s from anywhere. Because the game has evolved 

2 Likes

Here's another reason

It was a bunch of crackers

What does a video of college basketball from 59 have to do with wilt and Jordan.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement just an odd choice to present your evidence.

androb -
D241 -

Dude. If you don’t think the game has evolved from 1984 to 2020 then I don’t know what to say. 

Do you think the game stopped evolving in 1998 when Jordan retired… and for the last 22 years nothing has changed?

this might be the worst argument I’ve ever heard. 

By your metrics Steph curry is better than mj because he can shoot 3’s from anywhere. Because the game has evolved 

The game has evolved from 84 to 20.  Currently there are more stretch bigs, less emphasis on shooting, more usage of the full rotation instead of relying on starting 5.  Starting around 2010 the FG% started improving noticably.

The amount basketball has evolved, the curve, is higher from it’s early stages to 84.  That is my point. 

I think WIlt would still be a threat in today’s game. He’d just need to learn a few things. Best athlete in NBA history though.

Bill Russel on the other hand would be a bench warmer (if that) in today’s game. Too small, unathletic, Etc.

1 Like

reason Jordan is greater than Wilt is he has 5 MVPs compared to Wilt's 4, and he has 6 rings to Wilt's 2 ring.

Silly argument by OP and it makes Wilt's generation more impressive because they were watching and following Mikans era.wilt,russell,jerry west and big O had to invent shit and didn't have the luxury that Jordan did.Wilt and Russell were watching Mikan.Russell revolutionized blocking,shit no one blocks like he does up to this day,and he didn't even do it for stats.Jerry West invented the jump shot form that everyone follows.Wilt scored majority of his points doing fadeaway bank shots that wasn't seen prior to him.Jordan got to watch Dr.J,Iceman,Dave Thompson.

And Wilt got to play against players that played against Jordan,it's not like their era's are that far apart.

hermanitor - I think WIlt would still be a threat in today's game. He'd just need to learn a few things. Best athlete in NBA history though.

Bill Russel on the other hand would be a bench warmer (if that) in today’s game. Too small, unathletic, Etc.

1 Like

The way some of those guys were shooting far out jump shots with one arm in that highlight video is hilarious

1 Like

Wilt came in the game in 1959. Yes the game was evolving. So was Wilt. As the game evolved Wilt was still dominating. In 1971 way after his prime and after the game had evolved from the 50’s to the 70’s he was still pouring in 20 points a game and 18 rebounds. The year before he was 27/18 per game. In his final season he played every game averaged over 40 minutes per game and still was a 13 point per game and 18 rebound player. He evolved over his 17 seasons with the game. 

1 Like

“The game has not evolved. The game has turned to shit.”

I’m not a fan of the current NBA but the players are more skilled than they have ever been. The only exception would big men playing under the basket. The whole world is trying to get into the NBA so the talent pool is much larger. Someone like Luka Donicic or Dirk wouldn’t even exist in the 80s.

1 Like

I think any time you imagine a player from a prior era, you have to give them some time to acclimate. So they get in their time machine 2 years before their prime. The get 6 months strength and conditioning. 6 months coaching and systems. 1 year at the minor league/college level and 1 year in the pros before we evaluate them. I doubt Jordan would need more than 6 months total. But if we gave that to Wilt, it’s hard to not imagine him totally dominating. He seemed like a combination of David Robinson and Shaq.

Not taking anything away from Wilt. Wilt is an all time great and easy top 4 all time center.

But comparing his greatness of his era to MJs greatness of his era, MJ gets the nod. 

If you're the greatest high school team, that doesn't surpass being a great collegiate team. Higher level of play equates to more kudos if you're great on a higher level.

D241 -

Not taking anything away from Wilt. Wilt is an all time great and easy top 4 all time center.

But comparing his greatness of his era to MJs greatness of his era, MJ gets the nod. 

If you're the greatest high school team, that doesn't surpass being a great collegiate team. Higher level of play equates to more kudos if you're great on a higher level.

It’s a slippery slope though. I don’t think you can deny the overall skill today is better than it was in the 80’s and 90’s. I mean there was nobody like Kevin Durant 20 years ago. Quite honestly, there was no one like LeBron either.

How much more skilled is the game today? 5%?. Take away 5% of Jordan’s greatness and he’s no longer Jordan.

MrColdCock -
D241 -

It’s a slippery slope though. I don’t think you can deny the overall skill today is better than it was in the 80’s and 90’s. I mean there was nobody like Kevin Durant 20 years ago. Quite honestly, there was no one like LeBron either.

How much more skilled is the game today? 5%?. Take away 5% of Jordan’s greatness and he’s no longer Jordan.

Lebron literally entered the league one year after Jordan retired.   Lets not act like the game evolved so much from Jordan to Lebron's era. Some yeah, but not to the level your post makes it out to be. 

The difference in Wilt and Jordan’s era is two things.  Level of skill, and of $tyle of play.  The difference between Jordan and Lebron’s era, isn’t skill but moreso of $tyle of play.  Lebron can almost dunk from the free throw line.  He’s no more athletic than Jordan was.   

Lebron can shoot 3’s, so could Jordan.  The differences mostly is that FG% has gone up significantly around 2010s, and in my opinion that’s a correlation to teams using their bench a lot more than what they used to.  This translates to higher pace with still fresh athletes.  Less tired athletes equals less short shots.  Bigs could shoot 3’s when Jordan played, but the main difference between then and now is you have a considerable more amount of bigs who can shoot 3’s.  

Cross overs aren’t being done in a new way.  Screens are still the same.  Rotations and more bench use is what’s evolved the most.  In my old school mindset, I don’t like it.  I like the best players playing the most minutes, but honestly the recent research I’ve done, it does seem to appear that the efficiency has been going up in modern b-ball.

EKPOGI -
hermanitor - I think WIlt would still be a threat in today's game. He'd just need to learn a few things. Best athlete in NBA history though.

Ha ha, I love it.  Short and to the point. 

Bill Russell, was dominant for the time he was around.  Players today aren’t much bigger than Russell was, so to me, if you put Russell in today’s game where he can learn the pace of the game like everyone else, I have to believe if Russell accelled more than his peers then, he’d succeed his peers in today’s game.   

For the most part, the three things that Russell was best at(in my opinion feel free to change or add to it), blocks, rebounding, and toughness.  All 3 of those translate to any genre of basketball after his time so I am confident he’d be good in any generation.  Wilt as well. 

EKPOGI -

reason Jordan is greater than Wilt is he has 5 MVPs compared to Wilt's 4, and he has 6 rings to Wilt's 2 ring.

Silly argument by OP and it makes Wilt's generation more impressive because they were watching and following Mikans era.wilt,russell,jerry west and big O had to invent shit and didn't have the luxury that Jordan did.Wilt and Russell were watching Mikan.Russell revolutionized blocking,shit no one blocks like he does up to this day,and he didn't even do it for stats.Jerry West invented the jump shot form that everyone follows.Wilt scored majority of his points doing fadeaway bank shots that wasn't seen prior to him.Jordan got to watch Dr.J,Iceman,Dave Thompson.

And Wilt got to play against players that played against Jordan,it's not like their era's are that far apart.

Actually Wilt's generation takes a hit when you really look at the game and how it was played at his time.  The skill aspect of basketball improved greatly after Wilt's time. 

Here are some stats that highlight a few things.

#1-This generation SUCKED

#2-by sucking offensively, this translated into a lot more missed shots.   More missed shots can lead to what?

#3-Inflated rebound #'s.   You ever wonder why rebound stats were so high back then?  It’s because there was a shit more rebound opportunties, for everyone.  Oprah Winfrey-You get a missed shot, You get a missed shot, and YOU get a missed shot.  Missed shots for Everyone!

Here is statistical PROOF of what I mean when I suggest that rebounding #'s were so much higher then was because of more missed shots. 

I took the top ten HIGHEST FG% for Wilt’s first two and final two years in the league.  What I found, was highly informative and eye opening.  

1960 NBA  FG%

.45%

*1961 NBA FG%

.46%

Those are the averages from the best of the best.  You want to tell me with a straight face knowing those #'s are accurate that the guys from this generation were just as skilled as the generation after?

D241 -

"When Wilt played, players would dribble and pass the ball after 2-3 steps.  That was for good reason though.  That’s because back then, players were only skilled enough to dribble with ONE HAND, their dominant hand. "

Wat? They passed that quickly because they could be mugged, rugby before the rules changed about contact.