Majority Democrats want hearings on a nominee NOW

POLL RELEASE

PUBLIC VIEWS OF JUSTICE GINSBURG AND APPOINTMENTS TO THE SUPREME COURT

SEPTEMBER 19, 2020 CHARLES FRANKLIN

MILWAUKEE — Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died on Sept. 18, was the best known of the current justices, according to a new Marquette Law School national survey of public opinion of the Supreme Court, completed three days before her death.

The question of holding hearings and a vote on confirming a new justice immediately became an issue with Justice Ginsburg’s death, as it had following the death of Justice Antonin Scalia in 2016. In this poll, conducted in the days before Ginsburg’s death, a substantial majority of respondents of both parties say that if a vacancy occurred during the 2020 election year, the Senate should hold hearings on a nominee, with 67 percent saying hearings should be held and 32 percent saying they should not be held. Views on holding hearings do not vary much by partisanship, as shown in Table 3. This table will provide a baseline from before there was a vacancy against which to measure any future change in partisan views, if a nomination is made and considered.

Table 3: Hold hearings on a nominee in 2020, by party identification

Party ID                  Hold hearings                    Not hold hearings

Republican                     68                                         31

Independent                   71                                         28

Democrat                       63                                          37

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/2020/09/19/public-views-of-justice-ginsburg-and-appointments-to-the-supreme-court/

1 Like

Trump absolutely has the right to pick one and hold hearings immediately.

But so did Obama.

1 Like

Wow looks like holding will win over independents

EFM -

But so did Obama.

The benefits of holding the senate.

1 Like
EFM - 

But so did Obama.

I agree. I’ve said many time I think the Republicans should have given it a vote. They’re elected to do a job and they should do it. If they don’t want someone then vote no. Keep voting no until you get who you want, but you have to vote.

I understand Cocaine Mitch’s argument, it’s just not a very good one. He claims that republicans were elected to the job to essentially stop Obama from XYZ policies. Ok that’s fine but he’s glossing over the “elected to the job” part. The job is voting. Not a single Republican ran on not doing their job. Which is exactly what they did.

ryunz -

Wow looks like holding will win over independents

Even left leaning Indies DO NOT want the new left to nominate... Fuck no. There's no room for moderation in that party. Look at Tulsi and how far left some of her policies were and she still wasn't left enough.

EFM -

But so did Obama.

Republicans held the senate, so any Obama nomination would have died there.   

Politics ain’t bean bag.   Trump should nominate. 

2 Likes